iPhone question..

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Mattiethomas
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

iPhone question..

Post by Mattiethomas »

Well I've told myself I need a new phone since my contract ended a month ago and my RAZR is kind of dated. I've wanted an iPhone for a while now and after careful thinking, about the costly monthly price and commitment.

I had my mind made up to buy one within the next week, but after thinking about it, seeing rumors about the 4G iPhone releasing in 2010, and finding out about an "early upgrade pricing" that current iPhone 3G owners have to pay for the '3G S' ($200 extra), made me realize that if I bought a 3G S right now and wanted the 4G in 2010, I'd end up having screwed myself over and having to pay a lot extra just to upgrade iPhone's.

Anyone think the 4G will really come out in 2010 and any advice on buying it now or waiting? I'd rather not wait as you can tell; My RAZR sucks.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Re: iPhone question..

Post by not just souLLy now »

There's always going to be a new piece of tech out in the future that will be better than what you already have, assuming the prices don't drop all you can really do is adopt fairly early to get the most value from whatever it is. The 3GS is fairly new so you're covered there.

If you need a recommendation I've had a 3GS for a couple of weeks now and it's everything it's hyped to be in my opinion. Twitter, facebook, emails, a proper browser, maps, my calendar and an iPod on the go is pretty damn awesome. My only complaint, which is the same complaint I have of all iPod devices is it not liking you syncing your music from multiple computers.
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

the 3gs adds a lot more than the 3g.

the compass, which will be used a lot by app developers.
the video camera
the regular camera is a hell of a lot better than the 3g's camera. the touch to focus feature is very nice.
again, speed difference. a lot faster than the 3g.
once att gets their network up you'll be getting faster download speeds than the 3g.
voice control, if your into that. seems so so for me.

all that being said, my compass on my 3gs seems a little wacky. i can sit it down on the table and north will be one way, i'll turn it and north will be a few degrees off of where it was before.

the biggest difference between the 3g and 3gs is the camera in my opinion. the 3g camera was ok at best. it is so nice now with this new phone to be able to record videos (that have pretty good quality) and email them to people while out and about. even though it's you tube, just look for some videos from the iphone, they are pretty good coming from a phone.

waiting for 4g will most likely be a waste of time. att will not be out with 4g until 2011 and verizon supposedly next year, if they even get the iphone. even at that it probably will not be in all areas of the country.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Mattiethomas wrote:Well I've told myself I need a new phone since my contract ended a month ago and my RAZR is kind of dated. I've wanted an iPhone for a while now and after careful thinking, about the costly monthly price and commitment.

I had my mind made up to buy one within the next week, but after thinking about it, seeing rumors about the 4G iPhone releasing in 2010, and finding out about an "early upgrade pricing" that current iPhone 3G owners have to pay for the '3G S' ($200 extra), made me realize that if I bought a 3G S right now and wanted the 4G in 2010, I'd end up having screwed myself over and having to pay a lot extra just to upgrade iPhone's.

Anyone think the 4G will really come out in 2010 and any advice on buying it now or waiting? I'd rather not wait as you can tell; My RAZR sucks.
Yes, the 4G iPhone is coming out in summer 2010. But you probably shouldn't get the 4G iPhone, because the 5G iPhone is coming out in summer 2011. Just really think about that, though, because the 6G iPhone is slated for release in summer 2012.

The 3GS was just released; this is the best time to get an iPhone. I have an iPhone 3G that I bought on launch day and I can't upgrade without the fee until December, but that's fine--do you really expect to purchase a new iPhone every year? I mean, if you're on the cheapest plan you can upgrade every year and a half (upgrade eligibility is dependent on the cost of your plan--more expensive plans can upgrade without fees earlier than can cheaper plans). I mean, would you rather wait a year for summer 2010 to come with a RAZR for an iPhone 4G or have an iPhone 3GS now and wait 6 months extra for a 4G in winter 2010 if you really want to upgrade that badly?
It's thinking...
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I'm still stuck on an EDGE network here. As slow as AT&T rolls things out, 4G networks probably won't even be around when the phone does come out. So why wait for a new phone with technology that might not even be supported?
Mattiethomas
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Mattiethomas »

Appreciate the quick answers and that helped me choose to not wait around for something new because there will always me new things coming out. It can't be helped, I guess. Thanks a lot, guys.

Next and last thing I'm still deciding is 16GB or 32GB? I have a 16GB 1st Gen Ipod touch and I seriously have the thing maxed out close to 16gb with mostly music. This makes me think I should get a 32GB for the added nice video and more music I want to add. I'd rather not get rid of music because I like having it all on me always in case I feel in the mood for it. Just can't get past paying $100 more dollars. From $200 it sounds relatively standard and bearable. But adding the extra $100 for some reason makes me think I'm chunking out a huge amount for this phone; and will I regret it?

Right now I pay around $30 for 450 mins, 1500 text and 1.5mb of internet..(Yeah..). With the iPhone I'd be paying double ($60) give or take a couple dollars. I know I'll use the data enough to warrant it, just hope I can cope with the added amount.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Always go for more storage. I have a 32GB iPod Touch, and I nearly have it maxed out with my music alone. $100 is a rather steep price for an extra 16GB, but since the iPhone has no means of upgrading the storage later, you'll be thankful for the larger amount... especially as you start loading it up with programs.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Yeah, just in apps alone I have close to a gig, and that's only about 8 games. If you already filled a 16GB iPod, you'll always be deleting things with a 16GB iPhone.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Mattiethomas wrote:Next and last thing I'm still deciding is 16GB or 32GB? I have a 16GB 1st Gen Ipod touch and I seriously have the thing maxed out close to 16gb with mostly music. This makes me think I should get a 32GB for the added nice video and more music I want to add. I'd rather not get rid of music because I like having it all on me always in case I feel in the mood for it. Just can't get past paying $100 more dollars. From $200 it sounds relatively standard and bearable. But adding the extra $100 for some reason makes me think I'm chunking out a huge amount for this phone; and will I regret it?
I have an 8GB and I haven't ever had space problems. But that's because I don't use video and I have 140gb of music and I stream it over 3G from my desktop using Simplify Media. If you have a computer on 24/7 at home, and your area is well supported with 3G, just use Simplify Media instead of spending more money.
Mattiethomas wrote:Right now I pay around $30 for 450 mins, 1500 text and 1.5mb of internet..(Yeah..). With the iPhone I'd be paying double ($60) give or take a couple dollars. I know I'll use the data enough to warrant it, just hope I can cope with the added amount.
Erm... How would you end up paying $60? The cheapest voice plan is $40 and the required data plan is $30. That's $70 for voice and data with no text messaging at all. Add $15 for 1500 texts and you're at $85 before taxes and fees.

I am paying $80/month for the 450 minute plan and 1500 texts and I get a discount through my university. I don't see how you would have a $60 bill.
It's thinking...
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

If he gets a school or employee discount, and doesn't do texting, he could probably hit $60. Mine is $66 with 450 minutes and 200 texts. If I dropped the texts, I'd be at $61 after fees and taxes.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Well, I assumed he is doing texting since he said he has texts right now. I just wanted to make sure he knows what his prices will really be before he jumps out there and gets a phone.
It's thinking...
Mattiethomas
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Mattiethomas »

Again I appreciate the suggestions. I really would rather have the extra storage, just so I can feel safe about when I download or add music and not have to worry at all. It's just getting past spending the extra $100 that is going to be tough to get myself to do. I mean, I have no problem financially paying it, but I'm suppose to be saving what money I can for school, so breaking my own rule is tough when you've made it a habit. For a phone I shouldn't have a problem though. Atleast it's something I do need.

Plan wise, I was told at Best Buy I could keep my current texting and minutes price which adds up to $30. Then add $30 more for the data plan. I also went online to try ordering one through the Apple shop to check what price it says, and under the spot to choose my plan, it all added up to $60. Maybe it's where I live? Could be cheaper here in Texas. But that's what I was told and I guess I shouldn't argue about paying $60 if you are all paying even more.
Mattiethomas
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Mattiethomas »

Well I went to my local Best Buy to find out about the plan. Though, I'm not buying one until later in the week after I get my check.

Apparently, for an individual plan with the lowest about of minutes, 1500 text and data it's about $85 + tax. Says the sales rep. Then if you are adding the iPhone on to an existing family plan you have, like what I have, then you would just add on $30 for the data plan. So I was told since I pay $15 for minutes, $15 for text, then I'd pay $30 more for the iPhone's data. Which comes up to about $60 + tax. A much better deal and I'm glad I found out about this, since I was planning on getting an individual plan. Now I'll just stay on the family plan.
Mattiethomas
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Mattiethomas »

Hasney wrote:£24.22 a month half price staff discount, 500 texts, 1200 minutes, unlimited data 8-)
Not even freaking fair, man.

My Best Buy's are sold out of 3GS's, so I have to wait until Wednesday to get one..I'd just go to an AT&T store but I'm a sucker for Reward zone points.