Wanted: Mac Classic II or SE/30

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wanted: Mac Classic II or SE/30

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I don't suppose anyone here has an old one-piece Macintosh taking up space in a garage/basement/attic...?

I am writing a short story that spans several decades, and as part of the project I am writing each section on period-appropriate equipment, and photographing both the writing process and each finished page with the equipment it was written on. The first section is going to be written with a fountain pen and inkwell, the second on my old Royal typewriter, the third on a more recent electric typewriter, the fourth on an old one-piece Macintosh, and the fifth on my current laptop. I already own everything I need for the project except for the Mac.

What I am ideally looking for is a Mac Classic II (also known as the Performa 200), since these still have the "original Mac" look but also have an internal hard drive and can run System 7. A Classic or an SE/30 would also work. However, I can make do with an older model if necessary.

Last edited by DaMadFiddler on Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: Wanted: Mac Classic or Classic II

Post by |darc| »

You have the weirdest requests.

Good luck. It's funny, but I was actually looking for one of these on eBay last night curious of how much they cost. They are quite expensive.
It's thinking...
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

|darc| wrote:You have the weirdest requests.

Good luck. It's funny, but I was actually looking for one of these on eBay last night curious of how much they cost. They are quite expensive.
[nods] Not prohibitively so, but certainly more than I'd expect to pay for such an old, limited, and common piece of hardware.

It's actually part of a mixed-media art project I'm working on, but I'm not doing anything TO it; rather, using it to create part of the display, and using it as part of the display. That's why I need one that's in good working order.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

The more I read, the more I think I want an SE/30. I like the cleaner look of the Classics better, but the SE/30 is actually a more flexible machine.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Whoa. I think I shot one of these.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

DaMadFiddler wrote:I like the cleaner look of the Classics better, but the SE/30 is actually a more flexible machine.
Considering the requirements of your project, I don't think the look of the machine is really that necessary. As for your request, I had access to two of them, but we recycled them last year because they were useless to us.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

melancholy wrote:Considering the requirements of your project, I don't think the look of the machine is really that necessary.
Yes and no. It's a mixed-media project. The core is a six page short story spanning the 20th Century (sort of an autobiography of the century as a person), with each page corresponding to a different span of years (and also a different stage of life) and written using period-appropriate tools. The first page will be written with a fountain pen, the second with my antique typewriter, the third with a more recent electric typewriter, the fourth with an old black-and-white Macintosh, and the fifth as an AOL Homepage-style HTML document. I'll have a photograph of each page being written, then a photo of each finished page with the tool used to create it.

Each page is also going to be photographed being written on said tools, and--if I can get funding for it--a gallery display showing each page being delivered in the important new medium of the era.

The final display will really have three components:
1. the actual text, compiled from their different printing methods.
2. the photos, two for each page--one of the creation process, one of the finished product and tool
3. and there will be the broadcast method: the first page played back on wax cylinder, displayed on a turn-of-the-century oak and iron school desk. The second page will be broadcast via low power AM transmitter to a 1930s vacuum tube radio. The typed page and all attendant materials will be arranged on an art deco writing desk. A grainy video presentation of the third page will be recorded and transmitted to a monochrome 1950s television, and the written page and all attendant materials will be displayed on a period-appropriate chrome and laminate table. A VHS recording will be made of a presentation of the fourth page, and played back via vintage VHS camera to a period-appropriate television set. The typed page and all attendant equipment will be arranged on a painted steel and faux-wood laminate desk, in a cubicle-like environment. A reading of the fifth page will be played back via cellular phone, with the typed page emerging from a dot matrix printer connected to an early model Macintosh computer. The document will be displayed onscreen in an editor, and all equipment will be arranged on an inexpensive pressboard computer desk. The sixth and final page will be displayed as an unpolished HTML website, displayed onscreen in a browser on a computer running Windows 95. A printed copy of the page will emerge from an inkjet printer, and all equipment will be displayed on an Ikea self-assembled computer desk.

Of course, if I can't get funding for the gallery presentation, I'll just scale it back to the pages and photos, without the broadcast & display aspect. Maybe I'll just make audio and video recordings normally and run them through filters (fuzzy b/w for 50s, VHS style for 70s, etc.) and build it all into a website.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Re: Wanted: Mac Classic II or SE/30

Post by Roofus »

You might try the flea market. I see them out there pretty frequently.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Roofus wrote:You might try the flea market. I see them out there pretty frequently.
I thought they shut the flea market down when the drive-in went out of business. Did they find somewhere else to hold it?
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
Roofus wrote:You might try the flea market. I see them out there pretty frequently.
I thought they shut the flea market down when the drive-in went out of business. Did they find somewhere else to hold it?
It's still in the same place. The hospital next door bought the land and is keeping it going until they get the building permits worked out. It's open now until at least next March.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Roofus wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:
It's still in the same place. The hospital next door bought the land and is keeping it going until they get the building permits worked out. It's open now until at least next March.
Thanks for the info; I had thought the hospital was already in the process of redeveloping the lot.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

califags
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

go to 68kmla.com or hit up freecycle if you can't find one at the flea market.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Zealous zerotype wrote:go to 68kmla.com or hit up freecycle if you can't find one at the flea market.
I've already tried Freecycle and had no luck, but I hadn't heard of the other site before.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Well, someone on Freecycle offered me one, but then flaked. Then I found someone up in SF who was selling one pretty cheap, but ended up changing his mind and deciding to keep it. So far, not too much luck.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

...all right, scored one on eBay. Total cost ~$55. Topic can be closed now.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

In before DMF mods it to become an action figure display case
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

And here we are:

Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

This is making me wonder what happened to the Apple IIGS that used to be around my house.
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

Friggin' beautiful little machine.
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered