PS3 fanboys desperately try to convince themselves...

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

PS3 fanboys desperately try to convince themselves...

Post by APE »

That the PS3 doesn't suck:
http://articles.gaminghorizon.com/media ... 88.88.html
Aaron D: The Xbox 360 is $400, right, so it's cheaper than the PS3, right? Well, if you don't want to run Cat-5 cable all over your house to connect your 360 to the internet you'll need the $100 wireless adapter (or a 3rd party wireless bridge, they all cost between $70-$100). If you want to use any of the useful Xbox Live features you'll be paying over $50 a year for it, and if you want to play your games in true HD with HDMI on your Xbox 360 you're out of luck until they figure that one out over at Microsoft. The PS3 may cost more upfront, but you get all the features that other consoles "get you" with. Don't forget, the cheapest Blu-Ray movie player right now costs over $1,000. The PS3 does that and so much more.
Component and VGA are true HD. Fools.

Smells a bit like a Sony paid stunt too:
The Simpsons or playing board games for entertainment instead of wasting away with EA's Sims Something or Other.
How many serious gamers would type out "EA's Sims"?
A few fries short of a happy meal.
Number Six
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Number Six »

Plus, it's called "Point/Counter-Point" yet there was nary a counter-point to be found. It was three or four people deflecting any and all criticism aimed at PS3. Basically, they were :kiss) Sony's :rumpshaker: .
DARKGATE wrote:look me in the my balls eyes :o
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

ROLF, so amusing to see the fanboys to rampant.
Have you played dreamcast today?
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Londo Mollari wrote:Ah, arrogance and stupidity all in the same package; how efficient of you.
I don't even know where to begin except to quote some phrases that really jumped out at me for stupidity value:
Take a peek at all the games scattered about your desk, tumbling off your shelves, and lying on the floor in front of that great beacon of hope known as the TV. At more than fifty bucks a pop, you're looking at 10-12 mediocre titles that cost as much as the PS3.
I don't know about everyone else, but I usually buy most of my games from the "greatest hits" type reissues and do my homework before buying a game so I don't end up dropping $50 on a mediocre game.
I can't understand why Sony wants to put out a basic version of the PS3 at all.
That's probably why Sony decided not to include an HDMI cord, because people who use HDMI are quality freaks and they'll NEVER use stock out-of-box cables
HDMI is digital; you don't get a fuzzy picture from a cheap cable.
Most people have few qualms against shelling out several hundred dollars to upwards of over a grand to extend their entertainment system or video camera to record their family reunions in needlessly high definition.
I can't remember any console launch that wasn't preceeded by some cheesy "Oh No We Didn't Make Enough of Them!" drama.
all launch games suck; it's universal
Super Mario World sucks?
the 360's development tools could be considered too easy
the PS3 is based on open (or publicly available) programming standards such as PSGL, COLLADA, and OpenMAX
PSGL is a proprietary spinoff of OpenGL ES, COLLADA is an attempt at a "universal" XML 3D model format, and OpenMAX is an API for audio/video/image codecs. I fail to see how any of these address the main concerns that have arisen regarding PS3 programming.
It doesn't matter how many launch titles will be available, because they will all be nothing more than a graphical introduction to the might that is the PS3.
Lets not forget that the PS3 will have COMPLETE backwards compatibility, so you can still play all your PS2 games while you wait for some good PS3 ones.
I have this other console that has complete compatibility with PS2 games. I'll get back to you on the name; can't think of it right now.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

I can't remember any console launch that wasn't preceeded by some cheesy "Oh No We Didn't Make Enough of Them!" drama.
how about all of them except the ps2 and xbox360.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Covar wrote:
I seem to remember the Playstation having the same problem. During the N64 launch people kept saying there wasn't enough, yet they were in stores all around here. I think they always try to put out a rumor of a shortage to get people to buy it in a splurge.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

butters wrote:
Covar wrote:
I seem to remember the Playstation having the same problem. During the N64 launch people kept saying there wasn't enough, yet they were in stores all around here. I think they always try to put out a rumor of a shortage to get people to buy it in a splurge.
My parents when through a lot of crap to get my N64 for Christmas, and when they did, they were offered upwards of $600 for it. It was insane getting one for Christmas around here. It was even rated on Good Morning America as the second rarest Chirstmas toy in America, right under Tickle-Me-Elmo.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Ex-Cyber wrote:
Londo Mollari wrote:Ah, arrogance and stupidity all in the same package; how efficient of you.
I don't even know where to begin except to quote some phrases that really jumped out at me for stupidity value:
Take a peek at all the games scattered about your desk, tumbling off your shelves, and lying on the floor in front of that great beacon of hope known as the TV. At more than fifty bucks a pop, you're looking at 10-12 mediocre titles that cost as much as the PS3.
I don't know about everyone else, but I usually buy most of my games from the "greatest hits" type reissues and do my homework before buying a game so I don't end up dropping $50 on a mediocre game.
I don't really understand their argument there. That's like saying "Look around you, you are in a house. You can afford a house, so you can afford a PS3!"

10-12 games is a lot of games, in my opinion. Also, why assume that the reader blew $600 on mediocre games? And why assume that the reader can continue to blow money on things? It's not drawing the line. Besides, I usually buy stellar games nearly prestine a few months after release for $25 in the used rack.
It's thinking...
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

Ex-Cyber wrote:I don't know about everyone else, but I usually buy most of my games from the "greatest hits" type reissues
Watch out, you may be missing some very good obscure titles.
Ex-Cyber wrote:
Super Mario World sucks?
Other launch titles: Super Mario Bros, Soul Calibur, Halo, F-Zero, Pilotwings... yeah, they all suck. :P
Last edited by Stormwatch on Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

melancholy wrote:
butters wrote:
Covar wrote:
My parents when through a lot of crap to get my N64 for Christmas, and when they did, they were offered upwards of $600 for it. It was insane getting one for Christmas around here. It was even rated on Good Morning America as the second rarest Chirstmas toy in America, right under Tickle-Me-Elmo.
Remember how hard it was getting Shadows of the Empire?
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Stormwatch wrote:Watch out, you may be missing some very good obscure titles.
I don't buy exclusively from bargain bin / re-issues, just most of the time.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

well most gamers are "cheap ass gamers". I see it as a good thing though. If you do your homework on a game first, u know if u want to wait for the price to go down. My only pre orders (besides JP dreamcast titles) were as follows
Halo 2 ( but who didnt even though its meh)
Doom 3 and ROE
Half Life 2

there may be one or two others, but i was very happy with these game. Halo 2 being the least, but the others yes.

Its hard to get me to pay full price for a game now just because most the time its something ive seen over and over again. So im very selective on what I buy.

Console wise for xbox i own about 10-12 games, VERY few bought at full price.
GC I only own 3-4 which all were bought at 20 bucks or less.

Sorry not to hijack this topic.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

the 360's development tools could be considered too easy
... lol
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

They can shove as much super duper HD stuff they want into the next gen consoles. I just don't care. I don't have an HDTV and I'm perfectly happy with the level of detail in the current gen. Also, I want a console that my daughter can enjoy too; she's nearly 4 years old. This is why I'm definitely getting a Wii. She's got a lot of energy and will just go crazy about flailing her arms to control the games.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

Humpin' Hasney wrote:
Stormwatch wrote:
Ex-Cyber wrote:I don't know about everyone else, but I usually buy most of my games from the "greatest hits" type reissues
Watch out, you may be missing some very good obscure titles.
Ex-Cyber wrote:
Super Mario World sucks?
Other launch titles: Super Mario Bros, Soul Calibur, Halo, F-Zero, Pilotwings... yeah, they all suck. :P
And also Mario 64. What a shitty launch title that was. Wasn't Goldeneye available at lauch? I think it was PAL at the very least.

the 360, PS2, Saturn and by the looks of it PS3 seem to be the shittest lauch line-ups of all time.
a lot of people will say that the lack of decent lanch titles was a deciding factor against the cube this console cycle; That, and the launch cube being purple; the handle making it look like betty bop'
s handbag, and the overall childish look of the console. None of this bothered me, I'm just stating the crap that I've heard from other forums.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Humpin' Hasney wrote:the 360, PS2, Saturn and by the looks of it PS3 seem to be the shittest lauch line-ups of all time.

The PS2 launch was so crappy. I was so pumped up for it, I thought the Xbox was stupid and I lost faith in Nintendo after being annoyed by the prices of games (a kid can't legally hold a job and my parents would never buy me games--I'd have to wait for Xmas or Birthday... I only had 3 N64 games, which were Ocarina, DK64, and Smash Bros). As the launch approached, I thought to myself: "What game should I get?" I decided that I'd get Silent Scope. But, uh.... I thought about it for a while... Dreamcast had Silent Scope.. it was out NOW... it had a lot of cool games like Crazy Taxi... fuck it, "I'm getting a Dreamcast." So I bought a Dreamcast you know better than that and I have not, to this day, owned a PS2.
It's thinking...
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

Darcus Magnus wrote:
Humpin' Hasney wrote:the 360, PS2, Saturn and by the looks of it PS3 seem to be the shittest lauch line-ups of all time.

The PS2 launch was so crappy. I was so pumped up for it, I thought the Xbox was stupid and I lost faith in Nintendo after being annoyed by the prices of games (a kid can't legally hold a job and my parents would never buy me games--I'd have to wait for Xmas or Birthday... I only had 3 N64 games, which were Ocarina, DK64, and Smash Bros). As the launch approached, I thought to myself: "What game should I get?" I decided that I'd get Silent Scope. But, uh.... I thought about it for a while... Dreamcast had Silent Scope.. it was out NOW... it had a lot of cool games like Crazy Taxi... fuck it, "I'm getting a Dreamcast." So I bought a Dreamcast you know better than that and I have not, to this day, owned a PS2.
No warez talk on the forums! That's 2 times in 1 week.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
NiGHTSFTP
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by NiGHTSFTP »

Darcus Magnus wrote:So I bought a Dreamcast you know better than that and I have not, to this day, owned a PS2.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

APE wrote:
Darcus Magnus wrote:

No warez talk on the forums! That's 2 times in 1 week.
I was 12, and the only way to have more than 5 games would to be to copy some. I don't have any of that warez anymore (it was tucked away in my garage, and my garage no longer exists), and I don't warez games anymore.

And to whoever edited my post: I have never thought that "no warez" meant mentioning warez was against the rules, I mean it's illegal to rape someone but I can certainly talk about the time I raped that woman, right?
It's thinking...
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

Humpin' Hasney wrote: the 360, PS2, Saturn and by the looks of it PS3 seem to be the shittest lauch line-ups of all time.
No way dude, the 360 launch was great. I got PGR3, PD0, Condemned, Call of Duty 2, and Geometry Wars in one fell swoop. It was awesome!

PS2 wasn't too bad looking back. Timesplitters and SSX were great showoff titles and were very good for their time. And Madden was there too. The jump from PS1 Madden was huge (minus the zombie eyes).