Anyone here have an iPod?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Anyone here have an iPod?

Post by Tall Israeli »

If so, what do you think of it? I'm really serious about buying one and if everything goes as planned, which I think it will, I'll have it in a week or two.
girls keep telling me they want 8".. so i tell'm ok.. i'll fold it in half
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

My MP3 cd player is fine.
mkjones
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mkjones »

I have one of these:

http://www.neurosaudio.com/

Its great :) and is cheap. But I got mine for free becase I wrote this:

http://www.baconmusic.co.uk/reviews/sto ... tentID=400

I would reccomend one, kinda large but has some cool features..
Dust on the Dreamcast
SlammedNiss
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by SlammedNiss »

I just bought a Dell Digital Jukebox. About the size of a pack of cards, with a 15g hard drive. Cost only $200, a lot cheaper than the Ipods.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

EvilN wrote:My MP3 cd player is fine.
I agree. Why spend hundreds and limit myself to a set amount of space when I can just buy an MP3 CD player and only be limited to the number of blank CD's I have on hand. The only benefit I see is the size of the player, but when it's only use is for in the car, that's not really a problem.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

You can get MP3 CD players that take those 8cm discs, and they're usually smaller than the hard drive MP3 players you can find. You can fit a decent amount onto a 210MB discs, and they cost very little more than regular CD-Rs or CD-RWs.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

mkjones - your review says that the Neuros is only $150 for the 20GB version. However, the online store is asking $200 for the USB1.1 and $250 for the USB2. Do you know where I can get one for $150?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

melancholy wrote:
EvilN wrote:My MP3 cd player is fine.
I agree. Why spend hundreds and limit myself to a set amount of space when I can just buy an MP3 CD player and only be limited to the number of blank CD's I have on hand. The only benefit I see is the size of the player, but when it's only use is for in the car, that's not really a problem.
because the whole reason to get an mp3 player is for its size. You can't fit a a cd player in your pocket.
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

because the whole reason to get an mp3 player is for its size. You can't fit a a cd player in your pocket.
i have a belt clip, and i have big pockets.
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

EvilN wrote:
i have a belt clip, and i have big pockets.
I wouldn't be caught dead with either.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

I've got one of these and I love it. It's bigger than an iPod, but you get the same amount of space for less money and you don't have to subscribe to iTunes. :P
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

you dont have to subscribe to itunes anyway
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Roofus wrote:I've got one of these and I love it. It's bigger than an iPod, but you get the same amount of space for less money and you don't have to subscribe to iTunes. :P
My friend just had to return one of those because it wouldn't switch off, so he removed the battery, which completely farked the whole thing. My Dad bought one of those original Creative Jukebox's for Christmas a while ago, and it seemed alright - apart from the awkward way it categorized the tracks :|.
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

EvilN wrote:you dont have to subscribe to itunes anyway
I thought the iPod only played tracks from iTunes.
az_bont wrote: My friend just had to return one of those because it wouldn't switch off, so he removed the battery, which completely farked the whole thing. My Dad bought one of those original Creative Jukebox's for Christmas a while ago, and it seemed alright - apart from the awkward way it categorized the tracks :|.
Msybe he got a bad one? I've never had any trouble with it. To turn it off, you have to hold the power button down for 10 seconds or so until the screen says "Shutting down..."
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

ive got an mp3 cd player as well. plays cd's, mp3's and has an fm tuner built in. not the best. battery life sucks when listening to mp3's (of course i dont go the majorly expensive route with the li-ion batteries), and the fm tuner's reception is below par, but for $40 it's definitely a good player.

but if i had a hoice, id probably go with an ipod. or atleast an mp3 player with a built in hard drive. cuz from what ive seen, the players with built in drives can be used as external hard drives which will be good in my case. i can just transfer my whole mp3 collection over and free some HD space.
The OK Pope
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by The OK Pope »

My cousin bought a Creative MP3 player, it's a POS. You have a limited trial on the software to play the MP3s and when it expires, you're forced to purchase the software just to use it as a hard drive or play MP3s. If you don't, then you have a pocket-sized paperweight.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

http://www.iriver.com/product/info.asp?p_name=H120
I own one of these, and they completely rock.
It's thinking...
mkjones
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mkjones »

az_bont wrote:mkjones - your review says that the Neuros is only $150 for the 20GB version. However, the online store is asking $200 for the USB1.1 and $250 for the USB2. Do you know where I can get one for $150?
Well it was a special offer so I guess they put the price back up :( sorry man.. Like I said, mine was free, if you REALLY want I could mail them and see if they do any deals? bear in mind you will have to pay shipping tho..
Dust on the Dreamcast
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

MKjones, that thing is ugly. :(
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

mkjones wrote:
az_bont wrote:mkjones - your review says that the Neuros is only $150 for the 20GB version. However, the online store is asking $200 for the USB1.1 and $250 for the USB2. Do you know where I can get one for $150?
Well it was a special offer so I guess they put the price back up :( sorry man.. Like I said, mine was free, if you REALLY want I could mail them and see if they do any deals? bear in mind you will have to pay shipping tho..
It's okay, I'm still not decided whether I want one or not. Once my exams are over I'm hoping for a considerable amount of cash, plus what I've saved up so far, so I'm looking for something decent to get. I'm tempted by the Archos Video Recorder/Player things, but they're pretty damn pricey.
Roofus wrote:
EvilN wrote:you dont have to subscribe to itunes anyway
I thought the iPod only played tracks from iTunes.
It plays MP3s, and AAC files. Although due to AAC still be fairly new, and the differences between files created with different encoders, it's difficult to encode a compatible AAC file without using iTunes itself. Not impossible, but difficult.
Roofus wrote:
az_bont wrote: My friend just had to return one of those because it wouldn't switch off, so he removed the battery, which completely farked the whole thing. My Dad bought one of those original Creative Jukebox's for Christmas a while ago, and it seemed alright - apart from the awkward way it categorized the tracks :|.
Msybe he got a bad one? I've never had any trouble with it. To turn it off, you have to hold the power button down for 10 seconds or so until the screen says "Shutting down..."
I'll tell him that :). What was strange is that he did manage to get as far as the "Shutting Down..." screen but after 2 hours it still didn't do anything :|.
|darc| wrote:http://www.iriver.com/product/info.asp?p_name=H120
I own one of these, and they completely rock.
Ogg Vorbis - a true audio player for geeks :P.

I'm still waiting to see if any will adopt support for MusePack, which seems to consistantly come out tops above OGG, WMA and AAC of all sorts.