Smashed my TV

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Smashed my TV

Post by cube_b3 »

So this is stupid but it happened.

I was in bed and my phones battery was low, I asked my brother to put my phone on charging. I threw it to him to catch. He couldn't it hit the TV.

It is right at the bottom left corner and it doesn't look that bad... Unfortunately turning the TV on starts a weird sound.
I called Samsung and they said I'm better off buying a new one. It would cost 500$ to repair it.

So any repair suggestions on repairing it or should I put it on craig list and hope someone will buy it as is?
Attachments
IMG_1644.JPG
IMG_1645.JPG
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Smashed my TV

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Sell it to yourself, and then use the money you made off of it to put towards a new TV.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

If you can't say anything useful.
Don't say anything at all.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

I'd say listen to what samsung said but apparently you also broke the sound )()(

How's the phone btw
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Wonderful. The phone is super durable.

People can diss the iPhone all they want but in my personal experience it is as durable as the old Nokia phones.

I have to buy a new TV eventually. I want a big one though so it will be a while. Not interested in another 55". It feels way to small for me.
I saw people selling broken tv's on Craiglist. So I think it can be sold for parts.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

Just enhanced this image in Photoshop. What's going on plz?
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

This is not null.
Behave yourself.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

cube_b3 wrote:Wonderful. The phone is super durable.

People can diss the iPhone all they want but in my personal experience it is as durable as the old Nokia phones.

I have to buy a new TV eventually. I want a big one though so it will be a while. Not interested in another 55". It feels way to small for me.
I saw people selling broken tv's on Craiglist. So I think it can be sold for parts.
I'd recommend the Sony 850C series as a replacement. It seems to strike the best balance of picture quality, features, and budget. It has better color accuracy and uniformity than the comparable Samsung model, all the expected inputs (4 HDMI 2.0, 4 USB, ethernet, cable, 1 component, 1 composite), it handles a super wide range of input formats (including 4k @ 60Hz, 4:4:4 color, HDR, 3D, and 24p), the picture settings are very deep, the upscaling is good, the latency is low enough to make it decent for games (though still not as good as a dedicated gaming monitor), there's little to no motion blur (which can be a problem with cheaper LCD sets), and the whole thing runs Android TV, so it's got a pretty feature-rich OS with lots of third-party software support. Another nice feature of Android TV is that you can send a video stream directly to it with any software that uses Google's Cast protocol: Chrome on the computer, or a number of mobile apps (such as HBO Go and Comedy Central on iOS). It also comes with two remotes: a traditional one, and a touchpad one that also contains a microphone for voice commands and search.

Sony has been very good about keeping the software updated; there have been three firmware updates since the set came out in May, each adding new features and removing bugs. For example, the first update added 4k Netflix and Amazon support. Subsequent updates improved the SD and 720p upscaling and improved UI responsiveness.

A few caveats:

1. Screen size differences. It's available in 55", 65", and 75" sizes, but each is a slightly different beast. The 55" is the cheapest and has the best color uniformity, but it's edge-lit so the contrast ratio isn't quite as good. The 65" and 75" both use LED backlight arrays with local dimming for increased contrast, but there have been some issues reported with bright edges/unclear picture on the 65" model, which appears to have either a design or manufacturing flaw. So get either the 55" model at $1200 or (if you have the money and the space) the 75" model at $2000.

2. As with most TVs, the picture will improve drastically if you calibrate it; the defaults are typically designed to look flashy in a store display, not give you an accurate picture. I started with the recommended settings from rtings.com and made a few minor tweaks from there.

3. For any input that is connected to a game console, use the "Game" setting. This will disable some of the image processing and significantly reduce the latency.

4. Composite input is better on this than with some flat panels, but still not recommended. I had been using S-Video for my GameCube and Dreamcast on the CRT HDTV that this TV replaced, but since the 850C does not provide S-Video, I've had to go back to composite for lack of a better connection. They're playable, but I'm either going to move these systems to my standard-def CRT set (which does have S-Video) or get an upscaler (which I hesitate to do, since I'm then adding the upscaler's latency to the TV's latency). The era of analog video is truly over.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

All the TV's I had growing up were Sony's and seems like the company has really lost their market share of them. But ever since I smashed my TV, I really wanted to return to that brand.

The price seems fairly decent. $2,000.
I'll probably get it next Christmas or Summer.
Hopefully they have a more perfected model by then.

I have a CRT for my Dreamcast and Saturn (which I never play).
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

You cracked the panel.

You will need to replace the panel to fix it, which is basically the entire TV.

So no, you can't repair it, and no one in their right mind would buy it from you.
It's thinking...
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

not just souLLy now wrote:Just enhanced this image in Photoshop. What's going on plz?
mega keks
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

cube_b3 wrote: but in my personal experience it is as durable as the old Nokia phones.
You are fucking high. You have no idea how many times I watched |darc| smash his Nokia into walls and concrete, then put it back together and make a call.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Nokia 1100 ftw
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:
cube_b3 wrote: but in my personal experience it is as durable as the old Nokia phones.
You are fucking high. You have no idea how many times I watched |darc| smash his Nokia into walls and concrete, then put it back together and make a call.
Yep back in the day you could fucking wail a Nokia into a CRT and both would be good as new. These pussy ass flat screens and smartphones ain't got shit on that!
RyoDC
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RyoDC »

So any repair suggestions on repairing it or should I put it on craig list and hope someone will buy it as is?
I like to give a useful advice, but...
Unfortunately, such kind of things are very costly to repair. It's such costly that it is really easier to buy a new thing.
I understand your despair, but let me tell you my story: I've broken the tablet and the pocket ebook. Both rendered unusable because of the screen defect. Screen constitute the 98% of price of such devices.
How do I try to build a Dreamcast toolchain:
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Thanks for the empathy.

I don't have the cash to buy a new TV, perhaps next year.
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

Apparently the impact put pressure on sound components behind the screen. You can get the screen replaced by a 2nd-hand tv repair, it might cost behind 100-200$. Heres some things you can do...

1. Turn on the TV, and place a SMALL amount of pressure on the cracked area, and see if the sound worsens.

2. TV on, place a moderate/medium amount of pressure on the sides/bottom on tv in the area of the crack, see if the sound worsens or gets better.

3. Take the back off the tv, paying attention to all warnings for possible components that could shock you (THIS IS NOT TAKING THE SCREEN OFF). Inspect the area around the crack and see if any components have been pushed onto each other, including the speaker placement and possible connections. MAKE SURE TO WEAR RUBBER GLOVES.

To replace the screen yourself - just FYI - you'll need to buy the correct size/piece of glass, as well as a heat gun to detach the glass from the lcd/led 'wall'. This may or may not fix the issue with the sound.
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:
lol this.

I had that phone for years and was eligible to get a new one for free but didn't do it because I had no use for a new one (my parents were paying for my cell service and they only paid for a voice-only plan for which each text cost a dime or so, so I never texted). I kinda wanted a PDA phone (this was before "smartphones") but was holding out for years on doing that because of iPhone rumors dating back to years before the iPhone actually came out.

So basically I'd get drunk and we'd all laugh as I threw my phone against concrete hard as I could, enough that it would snap into several pieces (faceplate, front case, back case, PCB, battery, etc.) and then I'd pick 'em up and put it together and turn it on and it'd be just fine.

I still have the fucking thing, but I dunno where the charger is and its battery is dead, else I'd demonstrate.
It's thinking...
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I threw my iPhone 20 feet.
It smashed the TV and landed in a steel bucket.
My black phone now has a silver scrape on the point of impact.

Is it as strong as the strongest Nokia phone, probably not.
Is todays Mercedes Benz as strong as the ones from a decade ago? Definitely not. But they are still super strong. For today's standards iPhones are very sturdy phones. You just need to get your screen protected.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

|darc| wrote:
Jeeba Jabba wrote:
lol this.

I had that phone for years and was eligible to get a new one for free but didn't do it because I had no use for a new one (my parents were paying for my cell service and they only paid for a voice-only plan for which each text cost a dime or so, so I never texted). I kinda wanted a PDA phone (this was before "smartphones") but was holding out for years on doing that because of iPhone rumors dating back to years before the iPhone actually came out.

So basically I'd get drunk and we'd all laugh as I threw my phone against concrete hard as I could, enough that it would snap into several pieces (faceplate, front case, back case, PCB, battery, etc.) and then I'd pick 'em up and put it together and turn it on and it'd be just fine.

I still have the fucking thing, but I dunno where the charger is and its battery is dead, else I'd demonstrate.
I used to do that with my old all-plastic Samsung flip phone all the time. Battery cover falls off, battery falls out. Put it all back in again. Done.

Meanwhile, I just had to retire my last smartphone (Droid X 2013) after only a few months because the charger port lost contact . Now I have a $25 Windows Phone that usually tries to make up for it's lack of apps and support by repeatedly asking me if I would like to send all my keystrokes to Microsoft.

At this point, I am one step away from just downgrading my phone plan and putting that same flip phone that I used to throw around all the time back in service.. it's outlived every phone upgrade I've ever made since the days when feature phones were still a thing.

not just souLLy now wrote:Just enhanced this image in Photoshop. What's going on plz?
If you have to ask, you can't afford it