Nudists try to attract younger following

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Nudists try to attract younger following

Post by Roofus »

Here's the naked truth about nude recreation: The people who practice it aren't getting any younger.

To draw 20- and 30-somethings, nudist groups and camps are trying everything from deep discounts on membership fees to a young ambassador program that encourages college and graduate students to talk to their peers about having fun in the buff.

"We don't want the place to turn into a gated assisted living facility," said Gordon Adams, membership director at Solair Recreation League, a nudist camp in northeastern Connecticut that recently invited students from dozens of New England schools to a college day in hopes of piquing their interest.

The median age is 55 at Solair, where a yearly membership is $500 for people older than 40, $300 for people younger than 40 and $150 for college students.

The Kissimee, Fla.-based American Association for Nude Recreation, which represents about 270 clubs and resorts in North America, estimates that more than 90 percent of its 50,000 members are older than 35.

"If a young person is enlightened enough to go to a beach or resort, they'll find that they're outnumbered by people who are not like them," said Sam Miller, 32, a medical student in Riverside, Calif., who is helping to plan a youth ambassadors workshop being held next month in Orlando, Fla. "Oftentimes they won't go back for that reason."

No one is quite sure why nudity, at least the organized version promoted by the AANR and similar groups, is such a tough sell for younger people.

"I think people think that we're all hippies," said Laura Groezinger, 22, of Billerica, Mass., who grew up visiting Solair with her family. "Other people, I don't know the right way to say this, but they think it's more sexual, kind of. They don't understand just the being free with your body and being comfortable."

Money is also an issue. As nudist resorts become increasingly upscale, catering to baby boomers and retirees with plenty of disposable income, they're less affordable for college students and young families.

"There's a financial barrier, and I think it's important for resorts, if they want young people around, to recognize that and cater to them with discounts or free days," Miller said.

Only a handful of students attended Solair's recent college event, held on an overcast 60-degree day that prompted many to bundle up in sweaters rather than shed their clothes. But camp members such as Robyn Maguire, 27, of Manchester, Conn., said they plan to try again.

"I hope to get the word out to younger people that hey, it is OK, and here's a safe place to be, a very accepting place," Maguire said. "Unlike any other place in life, people actually look at you when they talk to you."

Link
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I would so do it.
It's thinking...
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

How do these places deal with masturbation?
mkfreak
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by mkfreak »

I'm already there. I'm naked right now.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Calavera wrote:How do these places deal with masturbation?
I've heard that if you get an erection you get kicked out.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

then i can see the majority of men getting kicked out. lol

Here is how i feel about nudists places. Anyone who should have their clothes on, doesn't. Not something that I would want to see.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

WTF, they are charging $150 a year for college students to get naked in front of others? And they wonder why enrollment is low...
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

butters wrote:
Calavera wrote:How do these places deal with masturbation?
I've heard that if you get an erection you get kicked out.
http://www.nudist-resorts.org/gallery/014.html
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Wow, that photo gallery sucks. It's mostly dozens of pics of 40+ year old men.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Fragger wrote:
Wow, that photo gallery sucks. It's mostly dozens of pics of 40+ year old men.
Nudism isn't about looking at hot bodies.
It's thinking...
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

I'm talking about the lack of diversity. I thought these kind of places were visited mostly by whole families, not by lone men.

Also, that gallery really overuses the word "nude", to the point that it seems to be making fun of them.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube