How much damage have your systems taken?

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How much damage have your systems taken?

Post by mrandyk »

i was sitting here thinkin and id like to hear some of the stuff peoples game systems have gone through, and possibly still work.

me ive had a gba fall in a toilet (little bro did it) and work later that afternoon, a ds go down a set of hardwood stairs and work just fine, a tv fall on my n64 crushing the power button so i couldnt turn it on, a gameboy i threw as hard as i could on the ground and then flew up in the air really high and worked just fine, and a dreamcast that couldnt survive a 3 foot fall.

so tell me your stories and let me possibly have a good laugh :D
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

Dropped my GBC on concrete, worked fine just had a small chip. Was painting one of Dreamcast and I accidentally gently stepped on it, won't read many discs anymore. It can be fixed with a laser adjustment but I have others that work fine so I'm in no rush to fix it.

I take really, really good care of my stuff and I baby it like hell. I never intentionally try to see how much it can take or whatever.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

well the one time i intentionally hurt a system was my gameboy color which i listed above, but i was 9 and threw temper tantrums like you wouldnt believe. thankfully i no longer do that otherwise i wouldve probably chucked my wiimote while playing wii sports.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

My original brick Game Boy has been thrown through a wall twice and still works just fine.
It's thinking...
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

My SNES was in a fire that was set in my room, pieces of the damn thing melted. Then when the fire department got there, they started throwing stuff out of my second story window. They threw out the melty SNES, that had been drenched by fire hose water btw. It hit the concrete and chipped pretty badly. A couple of days later I fired it up and it played flawlessly.
royhubbs
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by royhubbs »

The first day i got my DS, It was used from ebay, I had it in my front pocket of my hoodie sweatshirt, and was running down the street it fell out on the ground, bounced off its side and came right back up to my hands I grabbed it and kept running to the store.
MrSiggler
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by MrSiggler »

I once knocked my Dreamcast off a rather high shelf.. with a fair amount of force at that. It fell about 5 feet, bounced off a table, and crashed to the floor. In the process the lid popped open, the game was ejected across the room, and I expected the worst.

But it survived! Works great still :)
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

I forgot one tale. I was sitting there playing my first ever PS2, all of a sudden I got disc read error. Then it wouldnt play blue bottom, or psx games ever again. Worst accident ever, a v4 ps2.
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Post by AgentGreen »

My old Nokia brick has been thrown in fits of anger onto concrete, hardwood, tile, asphalt, and gravel and has sustained only cosmetic damage. Why did I throw my phone? Because it was a freebie and the service pissed me off. Now I have a RAZR and that won't happen.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

My nintendo 64 got knocked off a TV onto a hard wood floor a long time ago (back when it was the greatest thing in the world). It didn't seem to hurt it. Few controllers have been thrown from various systems over the year.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

To be honest, none of my systems ever received significant abuse. The worst I've ever done was dropped my original brick Gameboy on a gravel drivelane. The B button had a sharp point on it after that, but it was overall alright.
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

I knocked my Wii off the shelf a couple of weeks ago when I was doing some work behind my receiver. It's about a 2 foot drop. Still works fine. My NES got yanked off a 5 foot shelf when a friend of mine tripped over a controller cord. It worked fine afterwards. That's really all I can think off. I don't abuse my stuff.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

Some of my dc games took a hit with a glass of soda by accident. Code Veronica has some water damage to it's manual but thats it. The Nomad I got for my birthday the year it came out is a doornail, I was supposed to ship it to Canada for repairs but I never got around to it. $17 to ship it is highway robbery.

Damn customs.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Vlad Tepes wrote:I knocked my Wii off the shelf a couple of weeks ago when I was doing some work behind my receiver. It's about a 2 foot drop. Still works fine. My NES got yanked off a 5 foot shelf when a friend of mine tripped over a controller cord. It worked fine afterwards. That's really all I can think off. I don't abuse my stuff.

My friend dropped his Wii from about 2 feet and the drive stopped working. I was very surprised at this, because Nintendo hardware is usually extremely solid. Nintendo replaced it, though.
It's thinking...
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

|darc| wrote:
Vlad Tepes wrote:I knocked my Wii off the shelf a couple of weeks ago when I was doing some work behind my receiver. It's about a 2 foot drop. Still works fine. My NES got yanked off a 5 foot shelf when a friend of mine tripped over a controller cord. It worked fine afterwards. That's really all I can think off. I don't abuse my stuff.

My friend dropped his Wii from about 2 feet and the drive stopped working. I was very surprised at this, because Nintendo hardware is usually extremely solid. Nintendo replaced it, though.
True, but disc based systems have always been more fragile then cartridge based systems. There are no moving parts that could be knocked out of place in a cartridge system, which Nintendo has used more often. I would say that a cartridge system will last a lot longer in general as well, which is why Nintendo has a great reputation of building solid systems.
OOH! YA! Duffman Says a lot of things.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

Oh wait, I did kill a system once, rather a fuse. I sprayed a can of air into my PS2 to clean it up because it was dusty. Next boot it wouldn't power the hdd (using HDLoader FTW). Turns out that act blew the fuse that was on the 12v line for the hdd. Easily fixed. Then later the ribbon finally broke for the controller port and since the previous owner practically shattered the socket on the mobo I couldn't just replace it.

Needless to say I've got 3 ps2s worth of spare parts for v4 and v2 ps2s. Just not fuses, connectors, screws and so on. Damn Sony and their shitty build quality.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

My n64 basically has huge pieces of plastic missing and most of it exposed, it still works just fine.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

There's a lot of dust in my DC. I should go clean it sometime.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

My xbox took a 4 foot fall from the cabinet and died.
My second xbox was on a surge protector during a thunderstorm and still died.
My first dreamcast had a controller plugged into it with bent prongs, which unfortunately killed the controller board.
My GBC was washed a couple of times.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Wow, I have no idea how you guys put so much abuse on game consoles... I've never had any mishaps or 'accidents' with any of mine... the only thing I can think of is that I dropped my 3G iPod once on a hardwood floor... oh, and spilled green tea on a brand new MacBook... whoopsies.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista