Yet another pharmacist refuses to fill morning after pill

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Yet another pharmacist refuses to fill morning after pill

Post by Roofus »

"Walgreen Co. said it has put four Illinois pharmacists in the St. Louis area on unpaid leave for refusing to fill prescriptions for emergency contraception in violation of a state rule." ... "Walgreen policy says pharmacists can refuse to fill prescriptions to which they are morally opposed _ except where state law prohibits _ but they must take steps to have the prescription filled by another pharmacist or store."

Link

Before we get into the "He's just standing up for what he believes him" vs. "He's in the wrong job" stuff, consider this: Should a Christian Scientist be allowed to refuse to fill all prescriptions?
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

No. It's their job. If they don't like it move on to a different profession. To me that's like a fire fighter refusing to investigate a call in a lower scocioeconomic class.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

Pharmacists probably have the right to refuse filling them, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be fired outright for not filling a prescription.
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS »

The laws say a pharmacy can carry or not carry whatever they want. However there is no law protecting a pharmacist if he refuses something. So if he doesn't want to give out the morning after pill and wants job security then he can bu his own business and run it how he would like.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

!*? wrote:The laws say a pharmacy can carry or not carry whatever they want. However there is no law protecting a pharmacist if he refuses something. So if he doesn't want to give out the morning after pill and wants job security then he can bu his own business and run it how he would like.
Ditto. These pharmacists work for Walgreens. Walgreens wants to sell the morning after pill. There are policies for handling pharmacists who don't want to fill the prescription. They are allowed to find another pharmacist who is willing. Except where it is illegal to refuse, like in Illinois.
I think the pharmacists are making a bigger deal out of this than they should. Walgreens is even offering to help them relocate to a state without the law.
No signature.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I wonder what kind of weird moral or religion-related thing is going to pop up next year that none of us thought about. Seriously, was this even a problem 5 years ago? Hell, I've never heard it happen until last year, and now it's the cool thing for pharmacists to do.
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

melancholy wrote:I wonder what kind of weird moral or religion-related thing is going to pop up next year that none of us thought about. Seriously, was this even a problem 5 years ago? Hell, I've never heard it happen until last year, and now it's the cool thing for pharmacists to do.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was a problem before, but now everybody loves those crazy-religion stories.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

Honestly this is a hard issue. If you morally believe your sinning by selling the pill you should have be forced to by law.The laws of a state cant encroach on a person religion like that. It wouldn't surprise me if some challenged the law on constitutional grounds.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

SuperMegatron wrote:Honestly this is a hard issue. If you morally believe your sinning by selling the pill you should have be forced to by law.The laws of a state cant encroach on a person religion like that. It wouldn't surprise me if some challenged the law on constitutional grounds.
Then you shouldn't be a pharmacist. Maybe I should convert to a Jehovah's Witness and get a job doing blood transfusions and sit around all day because I object to it.
It's thinking...
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

OMG |darc|, can we actually do that?

Seriously though, this is like becoming President of the United States and being on vacation when the Nation is in need.
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k »

Savant wrote:OMG |darc|, can we actually do that?

Seriously though, this is like becoming President of the United States and being on vacation when the Nation is in need.

The nation doesn't need Bush.
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

just a little skunk on the weekends
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Chaniyth »

Who said the man was a Christian? I know athiestic people who are anti-abortion.

Also, I don't really see the morning after pill as abortion... it takes 24 hours for the sperm, and egg to fertalize together, so the morning after pill basically is just blocking the pregnacy, either killing the egg, or the sperm, not taking a human life.
All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you.
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

Go to a restaurant and order a three chicken omlet. See what kind of reation you get.
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

He should be fired. Its not his choice. He is forcing her into an unwanted pregnancy if she cant get to another pharmacy. If a dipshit pharmacist causes a person to get pregnant by not filling the morning after pill, his paycheck should be docked for the price of the abortion, and be made to wear a shirt that says "I caused an abortion by not filling a prescription, and I suck at life".
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

arrowhead wrote:He should be fired. Its not his choice. He is forcing her into an unwanted pregnancy if she cant get to another pharmacy.
He isnt the only guy that works there. He refused to sell it but I am sure the average wallgreens has like 5 people there who can fill it.
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Chaniyth »

"Unwanted pregnacy"? Pshh, obviously the bitch hasn't ever heard of condoms. :roll:

Not only that, but i'd not wanna tap someone without using a condom... HIV and AIDS is running amok, more and more in the country (USA).
All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Invizix wrote:"Unwanted pregnacy"? Pshh, obviously the bitch hasn't ever heard of condoms. :roll:

Not only that, but i'd not wanna tap someone without using a condom... HIV and AIDS is running amok, more and more in the country (USA).
I know it's hard to beleive but condoms are not 100% effective and never have been. Even then there are scares. Ever lost a condom on the inside? I have. I was a fucking wreck for a week.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
that_guy
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by that_guy »

Pro choice vs. pro life. That's what this boils down to. I am personally pro choice on the matter. If the person doesn't want the kid and there is something that can be done, ie the doctor prescribing a pill to stop the joining of the sperm and egg, than who is to say that the pharamcist should have a say in it. I understand Walgreens not wanting to force their employee's into a choice they don't want to do, but just like many have said, it is their job; do it or don't come to work.
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

It's kind of degrading to the pharmacist to reduce them to pill counters, though. They have to go through a ton of schooling.