The Gameboys Are Alright

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

The Gameboys Are Alright

Post by toastman »

Just got A Link to the Past yesterday ($19 at Target this week US shoppers) and I must say, I still love that game. As a matter of fact, after this post, I'm going to play some more. :D

But with this game we have most of the classic series on the new handheld.
Mario
Zelda
Megaman
Castlevania
Contra
Bomberman
The GBA reminds me of why I love video games in the first place. Sure, I had SMW and TLoZ:ALttP for my SNES and I played them religiously back then as well. But you know what? THEY DON'T GET OLD. Zelda and Super Mario World are just as fun today even after I know where everything is as it was when I was clueless, stumbling through the game.

In conclusion,

NINTENDO RULES :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

This is pretty much a "Toastman got a new GBA game thread" As I seem to echo these sentiments every time I get a new GBA game.
No signature.
kaze
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by kaze »

glad you enjoy a gba and see that ports arent necessarily a bad thing, considering that a lot of this generation hasnt played those games, so i think nintendo is doing a wise thing.
Current Music:
Himekami - Exceeding Love
Little Viking - Future
Nas - God's Son Adam Freeland - Fear
Ibana - Shell / Half Pain
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by compacho »

I agree with what Nintendo is doing. If the formula worked back then, it'll work now. Kids these days need to realize that its not the amount of polygons that make a good game. I'll put Super Metroid or the original Contra against any kid's favorite game.

Heck, I'll put Pac-man and Pong up too.
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

The GBA is a great machine but 80% of the games that have been released for it are abysmal. I really enjoy playing Nintendo ports too but the fact that the next two Mario games will also be ports (Yoshi's Story & Mario 3) annoys me. I want to play something new. After all, the majority of gamers are now 18-25 and have owned these games already on another system.

PS Nintendo, if you and Square port Chrono Trigger or Mario RPG then all is forgiven :wink: Also I want Lucasarts adventure games done in the style of Broken Sword GBA. I hope the gods of the video games world are listening....
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I guess $20 isn't bad for a port. I just have a hard time spending money on sometimes downgraded port of a game I all ready have. If I did more traveling or was in school I might feel different. 90% of time I play my GBA at home, so being portable isn't a reason for me to buy them.

What I mean by downgraded is the sound. I played a bit of Zelda LTTP on GBA and the music was not as good as the SNES version. And using the exact sounds from OOT on getting hit and swinging the sword is just plain annoying. Far as the 4 swords go Id love to play it, but I just don't have any friends with a GBA so I don't see that happening. This is what happens when you live in a small down and grow up. Your friends either move away or have crap jobs so you don't see each other much.

If I had never owned Zelda LTTP Id probably have bought the GBA port though.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: The Gameboys Are Alright

Post by |darc| »

toastman wrote:Just got A Link to the Past yesterday ($19 at Target this week US shoppers) and I must say, I still love that game. As a matter of fact, after this post, I'm going to play some more. :D

Mario
Zelda
Megaman
Castlevania
Contra
Bomberman
The GBA reminds me of why I love video games in the first place. Sure, I had SMW and TLoZ:ALttP for my SNES and I played them religiously back then as well. But you know what? THEY DON'T GET OLD. Zelda and Super Mario World are just as fun today even after I know where everything is as it was when I was clueless, stumbling through the game.

In conclusion,

This is pretty much a "Toastman got a new GBA game thread" As I seem to echo these sentiments every time I get a new GBA game.

This is exactly how I feel and is exactly why I want a GBA..... I need to get one!
It's thinking...
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

I got my GBA last weekend. Actually...it was my parent's birthday present to me. They also got me Metroid Fusion, and I'm having the best time with it. I play it when I'm at work. I work from 3:00 'til midnight, and later in the evening, when nobody is here and I have nothing to do, having a GBA stashed in my jacket pocket is perfect to pass the time. I think the ports coming to GBA are great. I think most of them are on my Christmas list. I've really been impressed with the GBA's racing games. Advance GT and AGT2 are amazing. And I've heard Colin McRae 2.0 is really good too. I just hope Castlevania: HOD is under the tree this year...
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Vlad Tepes wrote:I got my GBA last weekend. Actually...it was my parent's birthday present to me. They also got me Metroid Fusion, and I'm having the best time with it. I play it when I'm at work. I work from 3:00 'til midnight, and later in the evening, when nobody is here and I have nothing to do, having a GBA stashed in my jacket pocket is perfect to pass the time. I think the ports coming to GBA are great. I think most of them are on my Christmas list. I've really been impressed with the GBA's racing games. Advance GT and AGT2 are amazing. And I've heard Colin McRae 2.0 is really good too. I just hope Castlevania: HOD is under the tree this year...
Im expecting the HOD this christmas, hope it is there. That is the only game I asked for also.
mmboy
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by mmboy »

toastman wrote:Just got A Link to the Past yesterday ($19 at Target this week US shoppers) and I must say, I still love that game. As a matter of fact, after this post, I'm going to play some more. :D

Mario
Zelda
Megaman
Castlevania
Contra
Bomberman

In conclusion,

u forgot KIRBy! <(^o^)>
sig down :( gehy boomspeed... any1 wanna host it? where could i host it?
Tofu
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Tofu »

I just got my GBA as well and love the thing to death. Super Monkey Ball Jr. is a must have. Also I went to Target today and saw the Zelda deal. Too bad some lady grabbed the last one before I could. The sales guy was nice though and gave me a raincheck on it. And priced it for only $19.00. Cant wait till next week when they get some more in.
Cless
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Cless »

kaze wrote:glad you enjoy a gba and see that ports arent necessarily a bad thing, considering that a lot of this generation hasnt played those games, so i think nintendo is doing a wise thing.
Or it could be there half assed reason for not having to make any real games for it while still charging full price for 6 year old games.
-Azathoth-
Jounin Shinobi
Jounin Shinobi

Post by -Azathoth- »

kaze wrote:glad you enjoy a gba and see that ports arent necessarily a bad thing, considering that a lot of this generation hasnt played those games, so i think nintendo is doing a wise thing.
Nice avatar, Kaze. :)

Know where I can find images/art of Tsukasa/.Hack chars?
"Deviantart is the home of messed up emo kids"
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Cless wrote:
Or it could be there half assed reason for not having to make any real games for it while still charging full price for 6 year old games.
Most of the ports are around $20 when they first come out. I know I seen all Mario advance games for $20 when they first came out. Obviously Zelda is $19. It would probabably cost $15 to buy Zelda unless you could find it at a fleamarket or something. I know on Ebay it would probably be $15 by the time you paid shipping.

A new Zelda game on GBA would have been nice. Seeing a new Mario game on GBA would have been nice too.
kaze
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by kaze »

-Azathoth- wrote:
Nice avatar, Kaze. :)

Know where I can find images/art of Tsukasa/.Hack chars?
wow im happy! someone else knows the greatness that is .hack//SIGN

i mainly hit up the official japanese sites for them, but if there are any particular characters you would like to see, just let me know and ill find a bunch for you.
Current Music:
Himekami - Exceeding Love
Little Viking - Future
Nas - God's Son Adam Freeland - Fear
Ibana - Shell / Half Pain
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi »

i personaly would like to see chrono trigger and final fantasy 3 ported to GBA. i just got Zelda-LTTP / Four Swords. it's great! Super Contra would be a great port too. and EarthBound, and Super Ninja Bro's, and *keeps on talking to him self*

BTW kaze i'm a big fan of .hack//sign too :P some people just don't like it when you point something out no offense
xxlenigma
Wanker
Wanker

Post by xxlenigma »

Mario
Zelda
Megaman
Castlevania
Contra
Bomberman

In conclusion,

You bring up some very good points :D
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

for those who hate ports:
maybe all games aren't made for you. There are other people who have other needs
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

The only original games on GBA made by Nintendo are:

Metroid Fusion
4 swords (which requires you to buy LTTP first)
Advance Wars
Wario Land 4

Thats all I can think of. I could be missing something though. All of those have been decent games, but there really isn't a lot considering this IS Nintendo's system and its been out awhile. Everything else has been a port. Super Contra, Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy 3 would all be out of Nintendo's hands since those are from Konami and Square. Also what Final Fantasy 3 are you talking about the NES one or SNES one which is also FF6? I think Square is releaseing FF6 on GBA next year. I think that is a warrented Port since the ps1 version don't work well on the ps2, and the SNES version is hard to find. If you do find the SNES version it will probably cost close to $60 before shipping.

I don't have a problem with remakes, I just won't buy them is all.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

I did forget all about Kirby :oops:
Also there is a used game shop near where I live, both Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy II for around $45.

And Cless, $30 does not equal full priced SNES games ($60+).
No signature.
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

Veggita2099 wrote:The only original games on GBA made by Nintendo are:

Metroid Fusion
4 swords (which requires you to buy LTTP first)
Advance Wars
Wario Land 4

add Golden sun 1 & 2, kurukuru kururin, Game & Watch Gallery 4 (not a port I don't think) & Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire to that list :)
I would have pointed this out if you hadn't. It is all very well saying that Nintendo should cater for people who want to play only ports but what about people who actually want to play new games? I think there should be a middle ground and at the moment there isn't.

Saying that, they do sometimes add a few extras and Mario Kart GBA is a good example of how to make great game even better by adding lots of extra tracks and effects. Also newer ports of games like Virtua Tennis, Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio, Monkey Ball make me happy :D

My last wish is that next year we see more good games from 3rd party developers for the GBA and less of the crap we get at the moment. Roll on 2003...