Apple announces new iPod lineup

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Apple announces new iPod lineup

Post by S. Thompson »

|darc| wrote:
S. Thompson wrote:At 16GB, it's hardly worth it for music enthusiasts.

- Fuzmeister
got me a movie
i want you to know
slicing up eyeballs
i want you to know
girlie so groovy
i want you to know
don't know about you
but i am un chien andalusia
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

- Fuzmeister
SinisterTengu
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SinisterTengu »

I just ordered a silver 160GB iPod Classic from Apple. Hopefully it will arrive next week. I don't know why 160GB seems like so much to people, when you start adding videos you go through that quite fast. I see myself filling it half with music and half with TV shows, and maybe a few movies. I have more than enough music to fill all 160gb, but a lot of it is stuff I'll never listen to. I'm a file hoarder :P
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

SinisterTengu wrote:I just ordered a silver 160GB iPod Classic from Apple. Hopefully it will arrive next week. I don't know why 160GB seems like so much to people, when you start adding videos you go through that quite fast. I see myself filling it half with music and half with TV shows, and maybe a few movies. I have more than enough music to fill all 160gb, but a lot of it is stuff I'll never listen to. I'm a file hoarder :P
160gb is way more than enough for my music for the next few years, but I agree that 160gb is not a whole lot in general. For most people, yeah, but if you want to start doing movie archiving on the iPod, it's nowhere near enough. Imagine the tiny ass iPod being able to hold ALL of your media, from every album to every movie you own (or maybe don't own :P). You could go by a friend's house and if you feel like watching a movie, just put it on the TV's dock and watch it. No hassles involved. For me, it's impossible to put movies on the 80gb iPod without having to decide if I want this album or this movie on my iPod.
It's thinking...
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

Madfiddler, I didnt read much of your first post on this topic, but a bell did go off in my head. Are you already/seriously considering owning an IPhone? Afaik, the only network available to use would be At&t's. So i ask a serious question. After all the shit you post about at&t, you seriously considering buying a product that is almost forced to use their communication system?

Side note, I enjoy your at&t posts, I find them very informative and interesting.
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

I.M. Weasel wrote:Madfiddler, I didnt read much of your first post on this topic, but a bell did go off in my head. Are you already/seriously considering owning an IPhone? Afaik, the only network available to use would be At&t's. So i ask a serious question. After all the shit you post about at&t, you seriously considering buying a product that is almost forced to use their communication system?

Side note, I enjoy your at&t posts, I find them very informative and interesting.
Unlocking is allready a reality... AT&T is just fine where I live, but I know coverage across most of the country sucks nuts.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

MulletMan13 wrote:
I.M. Weasel wrote:Madfiddler, I didnt read much of your first post on this topic, but a bell did go off in my head. Are you already/seriously considering owning an IPhone? Afaik, the only network available to use would be At&t's. So i ask a serious question. After all the shit you post about at&t, you seriously considering buying a product that is almost forced to use their communication system?

Unlocking is allready a reality... AT&T is just fine where I live, but I know coverage across most of the country sucks nuts.
Wait, what?

I never said anything about owning or wanting an iPhone. I don't like cell phones as a whole, and you're damn right I won't do business with AT&T, even if/when I do end up getting a cell.

I was talking about the iPod Touch, which is essentially the iPhone without the phone. It really helps if you actually read the topic ;)
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

i'm with darc on this one too. more space would have been nice. a $450 version that is 100 gigs or so would have been nice. as such, i will probably wait.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

...Well, look at that. |darc|, Pavelbure, BoneyCork, Covar, and I all agree with each other on something :o
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
Wait, what?

I never said anything about owning or wanting an iPhone. I don't like cell phones as a whole, and you're damn right I won't do business with AT&T, even if/when I do end up getting a cell.

I was talking about the iPod Touch, which is essentially the iPhone without the phone. It really helps if you actually read the topic ;)
ok, I apologize for misconstruing what you said, my bad. Carry on, nevermind me.
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

MulletMan13 wrote:Nearly everything about the Touch with hard drive would be feasible except for battery life. Without adding SIGNIFICANT bulk to it, you would maybe get 4 hours of usage... tops. You'd be recharging every day.
I missed this part before. What's so bad about 4 hours of battery life? My old 3G iPod only had about a half hour of battery life, and my new 5.5G iPod gets about 3-4 hours. So 4 hours would actually be an improvement.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

melancholy wrote:
MulletMan13 wrote:Nearly everything about the Touch with hard drive would be feasible except for battery life. Without adding SIGNIFICANT bulk to it, you would maybe get 4 hours of usage... tops. You'd be recharging every day.
I missed this part before. What's so bad about 4 hours of battery life? My old 3G iPod only had about a half hour of battery life, and my new 5.5G iPod gets about 3-4 hours. So 4 hours would actually be an improvement.
What the fuck are you doing to your iPods? The 5.5G iPod has over 20 hours of battery life.
It's thinking...
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

|darc| wrote:
melancholy wrote:
What the fuck are you doing to your iPods? The 5.5G iPod has over 20 hours of battery life.
He first mentioned had a 3G iPod, and over time the battery life decreases... so take a 3G, add 4 years onto it and you have a battery that lasts for 1.5 hours.

As for his 5.5 video... that's completely ridiculous, unless you're playing at 320kbps or lossless files. If you're getting that little battery life, send it back to Apple, the 30gb is rated at 14 hours and the 60gb was at 20 hours... all based on 128kbps aac. Anything under 10 is inexcusable...

As an aside, I went into work today and initially I was skeptical of the Nanos from pictures and such, but in person they are absolutely ridiculous. So much nicer than the old ones, and the black one looks amazing (as does the classic black).

I'm tempted to get a 4gb Nano, as I can get it for about $15.... but I really wouldn't use it at all... Mmmm
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by stagg »

MulletMan13 wrote:
|darc| wrote:
melancholy wrote:
He first mentioned had a 3G iPod, and over time the battery life decreases... so take a 3G, add 4 years onto it and you have a battery that lasts for 1.5 hours.

As for his 5.5 video... that's completely ridiculous, unless you're playing at 320kbps or lossless files. If you're getting that little battery life, send it back to Apple, the 30gb is rated at 14 hours and the 60gb was at 20 hours... all based on 128kbps aac. Anything under 10 is inexcusable...

As an aside, I went into work today and initially I was skeptical of the Nanos from pictures and such, but in person they are absolutely ridiculous. So much nicer than the old ones, and the black one looks amazing (as does the classic black).

I'm tempted to get a 4gb Nano, as I can get it for about $15.... but I really wouldn't use it at all... Mmmm

Yeah, $15 bucks man? Get it just to take pictures and show em to us. :lol:
I think I may get the iPod Touch, I really want the WiFi , even more if I can get my schools WEP key.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

|darc| wrote:
melancholy wrote:
Well, admittedly my 3G just wore out over time time. It probably had 5 hours in it's prime, but I bought it used really cheap. But my 5.5G has always held out for about 4 hours before the gage goes into the red. Actually, on second though, it lasts longer than that (like probably 6), but there is no way in hell my iPod would last for 10 hours, let alone 20. I guess I just bought one with a dud battery. :dontknow:

At any rate, I just listen to music on it (128kbps MP3's) and have the backlight set to constantly on at the absolute lowest light setting (which is still too damn bright for my purposes). If I cared enough about the battery, I would definitely cash in on my service plan. But 90% of it's use is in the car where it's constant charged anyway.
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by stagg »

melancholy wrote:At any rate, I just listen to music on it (128kbps MP3's) and have the backlight set to constantly on at the absolute lowest light setting (which is still too damn bright for my purposes). If I cared enough about the battery, I would definitely cash in on my service plan. But 90% of it's use is in the car where it's constant charged anyway.
:o
SinisterTengu
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SinisterTengu »

The car use could be what killed your battery. If you didn't properly break the battery in in the first place (fully charge it for a long while, and then fully discharge it before charging again) and then the constant quick charges it gets from the car adapter could have stunted its life. For just music, the battery should definately last over 10 hours, but I'm sure the constant backlight could be part of it. I can see wanting the backlight on in the car, but you keep it on even when its in your pocket and stuff?
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

SinisterTengu wrote:The car use could be what killed your battery. If you didn't properly break the battery in in the first place (fully charge it for a long while, and then fully discharge it before charging again) and then the constant quick charges it gets from the car adapter could have stunted its life. For just music, the battery should definately last over 10 hours, but I'm sure the constant backlight could be part of it. I can see wanting the backlight on in the car, but you keep it on even when its in your pocket and stuff?
That's probably it, then. I just always have it charging in the car since I leave the backlight on. If I am going to use it for a long period outside of the car, then yeah, I'll kill the backlight because of the obvious battery drain. But probably 95% of my iPod use is in the car, on the charger. The only reason I ever found out how long my battery life lasts is because I sometimes use it on Sunday mornings for ad set at work, and I work a 5 hour shift, which usually drains it pretty good by the time I'm done. But in those cases I definitely shut the light off, since that would just be a waste. But other than that, it stays docked in my car. That's just where I use it most.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

...For anyone considering a Nano (not me for aforementioned storage reasons, but I know this meets some people's needs), Sandisk has kicked out a new Sansa model.

I really like the Sansas as dedicated PMPs; they do just about everything right. (The company even officially supports 3rd-party efforts like Rockbox).

Product Page

It's got 16GB flash memory, an FM radio and a voice recorder function, your typical array of supported codecs, and a microSDHC slot (supports microSD/SDHC up to 24GB). Supposedly 24 hours of audio playback or 7 hours of video playback to a charge.

Not bad for $200, I suppose.

So, if you're considering the Nano, there's an alternative.

If you're torn between the Classic and the Touch, the Archos 605 (which I mentioned earlier) has all the best from both of those devices, though the Archos UI feels a little PocketPC-ish.

There are a couple of things to mull over.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

And another revelation: Apple is apparently crippling the PIM apps on the iPod Touch, in an attempt to distinguish between it and the iPhone. For example: you can view your calendar, but you can't add events.

This means it's useless as a PDA; between this and the limited storage capacity, I have entirely lost interest and will go back to waiting for my dream device. For the time being, I'm still better off with my Zodiac...at this point in time, it does a lot more than the iPod Touch, it integrates with my computer *almost* as well, and even once the two 4GB SD cards and WiFi add-on were factored in (yes, it has two SD slots), it still only cost me about half as much as the Touch.