Windows XP Updates!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
SinTex
Admin Goku
Admin Goku
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Windows XP Updates!

Post by SinTex »

I just went to do a Windows Update to find you have to download an updated version of "Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool" the difference is this updated version cannot be disabled from the Manage Add-ons.

So i guess all the peeps with dodgy copies is up the creek without a padle, till someone finds away around it.
I am the hope of the universe, i am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace.
I am protector of the innocent, i am the light in the darkness. "I AM TRUTH".
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

IIRC the WINE guys got the original WGA to think that WINE was "Genuine Windows" after a handful of fixes. :lol:
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

Its not difficult to get around if you know where to look. The egotistical MS employees arent very bright on these things.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Re: Windows XP Updates!

Post by BlackAura »

Sin-Tex wrote:So i guess all the peeps with dodgy copies is up the creek without a padle, till someone finds away around it.
Apparently not.

Microsoft have stated that validation isn't (yet) required for automatic updates, just the manual updates and the download centre, so I would assume that automatic updates still work on pirated copies. I've only used automatic updates on the Windows machines I have around here, and I've not had to install any validation tools or anything.

I just wish Microsoft would provide some way for third-party developers to use their update system - it's stupid having to manually update programs, or having a separate auto-update system for every app on the system. Especially when those auto-update mechanisms can not possibly work if you're running as a non-admin user. I don't know how an OS released this century can possibly get away with that, nor why they don't seem to be making any plans to fix it.

The download centre is easy to get around - I've downloaded a few bits from my main system (running Linux) without problems, by using Wine to run Microsoft's stand-alone WGA tool and entering the code. I certainly remember downloading the WMF patch, sticking it on a USB stick, and manually updating my family's machines a couple of days before the update went into automatic updates.

When SP3 gets released (not 'till late next year, I would think), users of pirated copies aren't going to be able to install that easily.
Ex-Cyber wrote:IIRC the WINE guys got the original WGA to think that WINE was "Genuine Windows" after a handful of fixes. :lol:
Yep. Still works, in fact. It even works if you set Wine's Windows version to WinXP. Certainly works well enough to get you into the download centre, but it obviously won't help get you into Windows Update.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Really, I have considered buying XP in the past, but have always decided against it because the Corporate/Volume License Edition is so much easier and less hassle than the version you have to activate.
It's thinking...
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

|darc| wrote:Really, I have considered buying XP in the past, but have always decided against it because the Corporate/Volume License Edition is so much easier and less hassle than the version you have to activate.
Yeah, clicking the nouse a few times is a real bitch.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Roofus wrote:
|darc| wrote:Really, I have considered buying XP in the past, but have always decided against it because the Corporate/Volume License Edition is so much easier and less hassle than the version you have to activate.
No, I do a lot of things with my computer, and I reinstall often. I don't want to worry about them wanting me to only do x amount of installs, or having them deny my install because I tossed this box and built a new one.
It's thinking...
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

|darc| wrote:
Roofus wrote:
No, I do a lot of things with my computer, and I reinstall often. I don't want to worry about them wanting me to only do x amount of installs, or having them deny my install because I tossed this box and built a new one.
I'm not positive, but I think that a retail copy (not OEM) is transferable across computers.

Or you could jsut get win2k. I bought win2k and it didn't activate.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

404NotFound wrote:I'm not positive, but I think that a retail copy (not OEM) is transferable across computers.
Yes, but Windows does require reactivation if you change the hardware too much, and if you reactivate too often, you have to phone Microsoft up and explain yourself.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Although I understand why Microsoft has the whole limited install thing, it annoys me because I have a legit Windows disc, but after my third format, I couldn't use the disc anymore. I was forced to find another way to make my disc install simply because I formatted my comptuer three times.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

BlackAura wrote:Yes, but Windows does require reactivation if you change the hardware too much, and if you reactivate too often, you have to phone Microsoft up and explain yourself.
Exactly. It's easier to pirate the Corporate/Volume License Edition than to deal with all that crap.
It's thinking...
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

There's already a fix out.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Roofus wrote:There's already a fix out.
If I were to go through the problem of that, I would rather just pirate it.
It's thinking...
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

And NOW you see why all my systems run pirated VL copies of xp and I keep the legit retail copies stored away somewhere safe. I just wish they would go back to the way <win98 did it and just have a simple cd key you had to enter and that was it. no activation or any of that BS.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

you all assume i care about windows updates.....

i run two systems with xp pro, one sp1, one sp2, and both are spyware/virus free, why would i need updates?
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

My penis works fine, why would I need a condom?
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

Nyarlathotep wrote:My penis works fine, why would I need a condom?
because i only fuck bitches who have a certified STD test taken and have been sterilised......
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007