Damn Microsoft

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Damn Microsoft

Post by Prophet][ »

Its been over 15 years since the first version of windows was released, shouldn't they have released the source code by now? If say Windows 3.1 code was available (I mean legally) their should be now reason it could run on DC just like linuxDC and NetBSD. This means that more programs could be made in C++ or Visual Basic. What are your thoughts on this?
Sanchez
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Sanchez »

Linux and NetBSD are far ahead of Windows 3.1 in terms of functionality... And to "port" Win 3.1, you'd also have to have DOS, which would require a PC emulation.... and so on....

In other words, not gonna happen...
NeonGenesis
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by NeonGenesis »

Well, a lot of code used even in very old versions of Windows, even 1.0, is still used today in much later versions, so they kind of keep it under wraps. Hell, did you know with only a very slight hex modification of a Windows 1.0 app, you can make it run in Windows 98? lol, just goes to show you how lame Microsoft can be.
donatj
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by donatj »

somwhere floating around my hard drive I have a qbasic program that can actualy run windows 3.1 programs, im me on aim screen name Donatj if you'd like the code I'd try to hunt it up
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

donatj wrote:somwhere floating around my hard drive I have a qbasic program that can actualy run windows 3.1 programs, im me on aim screen name Donatj if you'd like the code I'd try to hunt it up
I've got this cool program that can run windows 3.1 apps too.

It's called Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP. Cool eh?
It's thinking...
DNR
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by DNR »

I've got this cool program that can run windows 3.1 apps too.

It's called Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP. Cool eh?
Whoa, all those in one program? That must be the Windows Generations Value Pak! :D (j/k)