New DSlite outside and inside pics. Also, official manual.

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New DSlite outside and inside pics. Also, official manual.

Post by compacho »

Ya may have seen the outside pics on engadget earlier, but 4cR has something better. Just DL everything on this page. Lots of PDFs from the FCC testing of DS i believe.

http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives ... #more-2658
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I like the shine of the case, but I'm not sure if I like the look of the inside. It just seems so...boring. It would look better with a light color. The white just doesn't work for it.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

iDS
It's thinking...
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by compacho »

melancholy wrote:I like the shine of the case, but I'm not sure if I like the look of the inside. It just seems so...boring. It would look better with a light color. The white just doesn't work for it.
I know what u mean. its bland. I would design it so that the bottom portion is entirely back with the top still white. This thing has no contrast.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Yikes, I don't like the new position of the Start and Select button. It's just much more comfortable above the Y button.
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

|darc| wrote:iDS
exactly what I thought. I think I will happily stick with my launch DS.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

I like it. Nothing amazing, until you get to 15-19 hours battery life with screen brightness on its lowest and the game slot cover sounds like a good idea
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

mattthemodder wrote:Nothing amazing, until you get to 15-19 hours battery life
Does it really say that somewhere? Because that alone would be a selling point for me. I use my DS a *lot* (in addition to games, it also acts as my pocketwatch and travel alarm), and I'm planning to pick up an M3 in the not-too-distant future to use my DS as a music player (amongst other things...) as well. The DS gets decent battery life, but still not as much as I'd like.

Plus, my old one is kind of pledged to someone if he ever gets off his ass and does a certain secret something-or-other.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

From the article in the first post:
Update 2: After giving a good look into those pictures and the manual, some decisive conclusions can be made about the new DS lite.

- The DS lite AC adapter is not compatible with the current DS or any other Nintendo product.
- The DS lite stylus is a bit different from the original one, so custom stylus might not fit properly in the holder compartment, which is now located on the right side of the portable.
- The power switch is a sliding switch, which you have to hold up for a few seconds to power off the DS lite. Also located on the right side.
- A wrist strap will not be included with the DS lite. Sounds like the thumb strap might have been dropped by Nintendo. There is, however, a wrist strap attachment on the case itself.
- When fully charged, the battery will last from 15-19 hours on the lowest screen brightness setting, depending on the type of game activity. On the brightest setting, the battery life is 5-8 hours.
- Judging from the manual, the DS lite will be using the same ?dashboard? than the current DS, so no new functionalities for now.
- The DS lite comes with a Game Pak Slot Cover to prevent dust from reaching the innards of the portable.
- The screen brightness level can be changed by touching the sun icon in the dashboard. This was previously used to turn on or off the screen?s light.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Awesome...though I have to wonder whether it's a hardware change, a firmware change, or a battery change. If it's just a firmware thing (since you can select different brightness levels in Mario 64, so it's obviously software-controlled), I wonder if they'll issue an update to give that functionality to older DS owners.

Also, I must say that while it's a good thing to have in general, the dust cover for the GBA slot disappoints me a little. It's sounding like it's a dummy card...my laptop has dummy pieces for the CompactFlash and PCMCIA slots, and I find them quite obnoxious. I'd rather have a hinged cover, like what VCRs and cassette decks for cars have.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

/me waits for the nintendo fanboy in him to kick on and crave one.

not happening. just got no desire. i'm happy with my old gray ds.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

- The DS lite AC adapter is not compatible with the current DS or any other Nintendo product.
:brickwall: Why, why, why does Nintendo have to keep changing it connectors!? Good lord, one thing that I loved about Nintendo in the past was the fact that they used the same AV cable ever since the SNES days. Same really with all their original Gameboy connecters. But now within the past 3 years, they suddenly feel the need to make everything incompatable with everything else. Yeah, I know, "OMG they make tons of cash from accessory sales!!1" but this is just getting freakin' annoying.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

melancholy wrote:
:brickwall: Why, why, why does Nintendo have to keep changing it connectors!? Good lord, one thing that I loved about Nintendo in the past was the fact that they used the same AV cable ever since the SNES days. Same really with all their original Gameboy connecters. But now within the past 3 years, they suddenly feel the need to make everything incompatable with everything else. Yeah, I know, "OMG they make tons of cash from accessory sales!!1" but this is just getting freakin' annoying.
its just the AC connector, i dont know of any other uses for that port, so it basicly means that for a DSl you need a new power adapter and... OMG YOU GET ONE IN THE BOX WHEN BUYING ONE!!!11!1!1!!

now i agree that the whole link port thing with the micro was a bit sour, but thats the only time ninty broke their compatibility in a single generation (they also changed between GBC and GBA, but thats logical imho..)
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Disheveled DrFreeze wrote:now i agree that the whole link port thing with the micro was a bit sour, but thats the only time ninty broke their compatibility in a single generation (they also changed between GBC and GBA, but thats logical imho..)
The GBA Player for Gamecube is not compatable with multiplayer GBA cords, the DS cannot link to the Gamecube for games like Crystal Chronicles, the Micro changed both the link and the charger cords, and now the DS will be changing even more adapters.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

melancholy wrote: The GBA Player for Gamecube is not compatable with multiplayer GBA cords
Yeah it is, I've played multiplayer games with one person on a TV.

Its not compatible with the GC->GBA link cable though, but thats mostly because you need the GBA player 'play disk' in your GC for it to work.

I liked the fact that the DS used the GBA power cable, but only because I got an import DS and the adapter that came with it was some horrible third party thing with about a 6 inch wire between charger and console, so I just use my GBASP adapter instead.

Looking at the pictures of it though, it looks like they changed the power adapter connection just because (lets face it) its a pretty frigging big connector anyway, and they're obviously trying to minimise the 'footprint' of the DS as much as possible.

I still won't be buying one anytime soon, but for people who for whatever reason havent been tempted into buying a DS yet, I dont see how improved battery life and smaller / lighter hardware is going to do anything but tempt them more.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
melancholy wrote: The GBA Player for Gamecube is not compatable with multiplayer GBA cords
Yeah it is, I've played multiplayer games with one person on a TV.
So have I. I only ever owned one GBA, so I used to use the 'Cube all the time as a second player for MarioKart, before Double Dash came out.
Its not compatible with the GC->GBA link cable though
Not true. I booted my GameCube (hooked up to a secondary TV) into Gameboy Player mode, and used it as my controller for Crystal Chronicles (hooked into my friend's 'Cube on the main TV), because we didn't have enough Gameboys. We played most of the game like that, with three GBA's and a secondary 'Cube with a GBPlayer.

The *only* thing you can't do with the Gameboy Player is play games that require system movement, like WarioWare: Twisted and Boktai. (well, you could, but it would require some serious acrobatics).
theultimatechuff
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by theultimatechuff »

|darc| wrote:iDS
Ya, reminds me of a quote from Engadget when the first shots were leaked... "Not only does it look like an Apple product, it also comes with the s*** I only just bought the last model feeling"
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

melancholy wrote:
Disheveled DrFreeze wrote:now i agree that the whole link port thing with the micro was a bit sour, but thats the only time ninty broke their compatibility in a single generation (they also changed between GBC and GBA, but thats logical imho..)
The GBA Player for Gamecube is not compatable with multiplayer GBA cords, the DS cannot link to the Gamecube for games like Crystal Chronicles, the Micro changed both the link and the charger cords, and now the DS will be changing even more adapters.
the DS never supported any GBA multiplayer stuff, and never did nintendo say so... and changing power adapters.. why does that matter, you get a new one with each system? if you are so damn sloppy you lose yours everytime and need multiple adapters... then thats your problem

i still see the micro as the only break, the DS adds GBA support rather than lacks GBA multi support imho
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Im kinda dissapointed by the suggestion that there will be no real added functionality. I guess it makes me feel better about owning the original, but I would of rather they did more than just try and make it look more pretty (which they didnt in my opinion, but thats just me not liking this recent apple-styling of everything).

The extra bettery life is looking nice, but what is the lowest brightness setting? May not be worth it if you cant actually see anything.

I guess its OK, I wouldve just liked a new model with a higher price tag to have more differences between the original, to make the whole thing worth it.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Disheveled DrFreeze wrote:and changing power adapters.. why does that matter, you get a new one with each system? if you are so damn sloppy you lose yours everytime and need multiple adapters... then thats your problem
I like just having one adapter that charges everything. I plug my SP and DS into the same outlet and never have to worry about reaching behind the couch to switch them out. Then came the Micro with its own adapter. So now I have two cables feeding out from behind the couch. So when the new DS comes out (assuming I were to buy it), I will have three adapters; one for the SP whenever I play original Gameboy games, one for the Micro, and one for the new DS. See how it gets annoying?