Paid $20 for a broken PS2. Can I fix it?

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
FunkyPoopMonkey
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Paid $20 for a broken PS2. Can I fix it?

Post by FunkyPoopMonkey »

I figured if I can't fix it, I can at least get back my losses by selling the parts seperately, or as a whole on ebay. Anyways:

I've taken a quick look inside, and I'm not the first to be inside this PS2, since the warrantee sticker was removed. The first thing I noticed was that the 10 inch long, 7 pin ribbon cable, that connects the front Reset and Eject buttons, with...actually I don't know where it plugs in because it wasn't plugged in to begin with. Anyways, it's very mangled, and I definately need to replace it. Will I be able to order some generic 7 pin ribbon that will fit this? Will that work?

Also, when I flip the power switch on in the back, it does not come on, the fan does not spin, and the red light does not come on on the front (obviously because of the lack of ribbon cable). So is this is a seperate power problem, or is the ribbon cable keeping the whole system from functioning?

Keep in mind I know nothing about PS2. I am very new to this system. Go easy on me. I just hope with some time and effort, I can finally have a working PS2.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

About the 10 inch ribbon cable: I believe depending on your model that http://www.richspsxparts.com should have it; that is where I got my replacement...they are kinda expensive, though....I think the cables go for $7 including shipping....

I am no expert, but I think that a replacement cable should cure all its ailments....

The ps2 imo, is one of the most difficult consoles to take apart let alone reassemble......
FunkyPoopMonkey
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Update. Fixed it. Apparently the ribbon cable works fine after all! I just discovered where to plug it into, below the disc drive, and now it works. Flip the power switch on, and then apparently the reset button is a power button as well. I didn't know that. That's why I got no action when I flipped the switch, with no ribbon cable. It actually was getting power, but just waiting for me to push the button.

Anyways it works flawlessly it seems. At least with PS1 games. I just did a quick cleaning of the machine. Tons of dust. Scubbed the filthy foggy lens with a wet qtip, and it shines now. Doesn't skip a beat on FMV's on PS1 games, nor on XA music. I am very happy.

I also noticed that the short, fat, insanely high pin ribbon cable for the controller bridge has a giant rip right in the middle, strait down. However none of the buttons on my controller seemed to be bad, so perhaps the second player controller will have the issues? Regardless I will need to replace that one too, eventually.

The rest of the system looks very nice. A screw here or there is missing though. And the face plate on the disc drive fell off. Might super glue it back on.

Thanks for the link, and if anyone else knows any sites to buy spare PS2 parts, please share. Or if you have parts for sale, just post saying so!
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

lik-sang has replacement parts for ps2 if you ever need anything else.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Pablo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Pablo »

zerotype wrote:lik-sang has replacement parts for ps2 if you ever need anything else.
Yeah but they really get you by the ballz when it comes to shipping.
That's great that you got it running. I cannot believe that someone actually sold it for that minor problem.
FunkyPoopMonkey
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Pablo wrote:
zerotype wrote:lik-sang has replacement parts for ps2 if you ever need anything else.
Yeah but they really get you by the ballz when it comes to shipping.
That's great that you got it running. I cannot believe that someone actually sold it for that minor problem.
Heh well he's a good guy. Just kinda misinformed. Plus I repaired and cleaned his computer recently and he only paid me $20, so he kinda owed me.
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

Have you tried DVD games or films yet though? It may have been thrown out cause it only wants to read CD's...its happened in the past...
FunkyPoopMonkey
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

I am playing DVD copied movies perfectly on it. They are Ridata media, which I love, and seems the PS2 loves as well. It's not skipping a beat or anything, like my friends' PS2s usually do. And like I said, I don't have any PS2 games to test on it yet. I'm ganna try and borrow some soon. I think I said that anyway...
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

FunkyPoopMonkey wrote:They are Ridata media, which I love
Everyone should love Ridata. My room is littered with Ridata DVD+Rs.
It's thinking...
FunkyPoopMonkey
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

|darc| wrote:Everyone should love Ridata. My room is littered with Ridata DVD+Rs.
Mine are -, but I recently got a new drive that can burn either - or +, so I guess I'll have a choice from now on.
FunkyPoopMonkey
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Edit: Nevermind, I'm a dumbass.