sun's looking glass

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

sun's looking glass

Post by SuperMegatron »

http://wwws.sun.com/software/looking_glass/demo.html look at the demo this looks freaking awesome
feels
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by feels »

MOY EXCELLIENTE! :o

One step past Minority Report!
mikelomax
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
Location: Off Topic, Since I know very little about the dreamcast

Post by mikelomax »

agreed, its about time someone stood up to how things have been done over the last 10 years and said "hey, lets redesign instead of add."
The reason for having: A firewall

Independance day, the aliens were destroyed because a computer was used to access their network and disable key systems. If they had had a firewall, the earth would be just another worthless rock floating in space.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

you know that os has no chance of making it windows compatibility is a must for any os and microsoft wont allow anyone to do that they beat IBM when Ibm sued them for having a illegal monoply they tried to get windows compatibilty for os/2 warp
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

windows compatibility is a must for any os
Why? There isn't really that much software for Windows that can't be adequately duplicated elsewhere, either because it exists for other OSes, it can be pursuaded to run on other OSes, or there exists a decent alternative that runs on other OSes. The stuff that tends to be Windows only is games, or specially written business applications.

Anyway, that thing's a Java-based desktop environment, not an OS. There's (probably) no reason that it couldn't run on top of Windows, because being cross-platform is one of Java's biggest strengths. You can write a Java program on one system, and be fairly certain that it will run on a completely different system.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

That looks excellent. I want that!
It's thinking...
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

That looks utterly pointless and stupid...

What could anyone possibly use this for?

Wow, we can do it... but when there is no reason to: why do it?

Now bring up holographic screens and touch screens and you got me sold =)
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

No offense, but it's not that much different.
I didn't see anything revolutionary, merely extensions to what is.
And nothing that 3D accelerators couldn't pull off, which you would probably need to run this desktop anyway.
No signature.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

It doesnt offer anything at all.

I can move apps to the side of the screen already, but they dont go "deep"so I can still see them.

I can attatch notes to apps if I want to, it couldbe done through a simple app which lets you select "Add Note..." from a right-click menu.

I dont need to see my CD collection in 3D. In fact, I dont need to see my CD collection at all.

Im 100% sure the backside of IE, the top edge of Photoshop and the underneath of Microsoft Word is totally useless and unintresting. I dont need to flip stuff around every vertices.

Moving backgrouns will just get annoying. When the technology gets released, I give it 5 minutes before somebody hacks it out to save resources.