Gonna sell my PS2...I think

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
PuniPuniSakura
Catgirl Maniac!
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by PuniPuniSakura »

i personally play PS2 more than the other 2....

GunGrave... 'nuff said

plus the PS1 lineup, Ape Escape, Tomba!, Tomba! 2, and of course, the best game ever made, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
http://www.opengames.net

DCemu's official catgirl maniac! wai, nyao!
-Azathoth-
Jounin Shinobi
Jounin Shinobi

Post by -Azathoth- »

as far as PS2 Castlevania is concerned...

http://www.gamers.com/game/1322553/
"Deviantart is the home of messed up emo kids"
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

pavelbure wrote:
Klonoa wrote:Keep it, the new Castlevania game seems like It's going to be really good.
the newest issue of egm has a big write up on it.

Yea, I was drooling.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

The main reason I can't like the PS2: It gives me headaches.

I can't play the damn system.
Tetris: 556-381-350-981
MKDS: 163-282-974-709
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I say keep it. If I sold systems because I didn't play them anymore, my Xbox would have been out the door months ago. But I kept it, and after all these E3 previews, I'm finally starting to see some games coming that will make me glad that I did keep it.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

After debateing it some more I may or may not sell it. I just hate keeping a console cause of 1 game company (square). I have other games on the system, just I don't care much about them. The other games are cheap titles such as Evergrace, Grandia 2 (its a good game, but no replay value and I beat it on DC), Harvest Moon, and Kingdom Hearts. Actualy Kingdom Hearts is kinda mine, but not really. I can't really sell it, but I did trade for it. I have played a few other games that was ok such as Jak and Daxter, Sly couper, etc. But those games I can live without quite easily.

Still I know how I have felt in the past when I sell a system. 2 years later I get the urge to play something and I don't have the system.

Far as the PS1 lineup goes I sitll got my old modded ps1. I think I will just keep it. More I think about it I probably won't get anywhere near what I got invested in it (paid $300 for the blasted thing).
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

|darc| wrote:
az_bont wrote:people seem to hush these ideas by talking about the "homebrew", which is about as homebrew as a retail copy of Windows 98
Quoth the 'Psilocybin Dreams Project Head'
But I've never distributed it under the guise of homebrew. It just happens to be on DC Homebrew; but then so is boob!play, which was simply ripped out of a commercial game.

And I'm glad people can agree with me - the PS2 is a great console, and just because so many people gave into Sony's hype and skipped over the Dreamcast, that doesn't make it any less of a system. And just because developers decided to abandon a fair amount of Dreamcast games to release them on the PS2 instead, that doesn't make it any less of a system. Some people need to quit being jealous of Sony's immense success, and stop their whining just because Sony is the only console manufactureur still turning a decent profit.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I'm of the opinion that you should keep the PS2. There will probably be at least a few more games you'll like on it eventually.

Oh yeah, and while I like my PS2, I don't really consider it a particularly great system. I don't think ANY of the systems (the Dreamcast is a *partial* exception) this generation are as good as several older systems, like the NES, SNES, or Genesis. Whatever though.
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

I'd keep your PS2, because you'd get rid of it, and a slew of good games will come out and you will hate yourself for it.

Personally though, I dont even play my PS2 anymore, and to be honest...theres 3 unreleased games I'm only interested in: FFX-2, Gran Turismo 3 and MGS3 (FFXI would be on that list but I'll be getting the PC version).
I'll always keep my consoles nowadays regardless, after my Sega Saturn broke I missed it like hell til I got that hacked Giri Giri emulator, dont wanna go through that hell again with another console :roll:
liltimmyw
Mother Trucker
Mother Trucker

Post by liltimmyw »

I'd keep it too. Anytime I get rid of a console, I always regret it down the road. I regret getting rid of the 70+ PS1 games I used to have.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

If you're short of cash then sell it if you don't think you'll use it anymore: if you're *not* short of cash at all theres not really that much point in selling it right now is there as there'll more than likely be some game come out in the fututre youll want to play.

az_bont wrote:so is boob!play, which was simply ripped out of a commercial game.
wth is 'boob!play'?

:?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

az_bont wrote:
|darc| wrote:
az_bont wrote:people seem to hush these ideas by talking about the "homebrew", which is about as homebrew as a retail copy of Windows 98
Quoth the 'Psilocybin Dreams Project Head'
But I've never distributed it under the guise of homebrew. It just happens to be on DC Homebrew; but then so is boob!play, which was simply ripped out of a commercial game.

And I'm glad people can agree with me - the PS2 is a great console, and just because so many people gave into Sony's hype and skipped over the Dreamcast, that doesn't make it any less of a system. And just because developers decided to abandon a fair amount of Dreamcast games to release them on the PS2 instead, that doesn't make it any less of a system. Some people need to quit being jealous of Sony's immense success, and stop their whining just because Sony is the only console manufactureur still turning a decent profit.

I don't see what's the big deal about the XDK. Sure... I don't want ppl to use it, but if they do, it's STILL homebrew! Just because they used a certain compiler DOESN'T mean they didn't code anything. Its not like the downloaded a program and checked off 'Make Super Nintendo Entertainment System Emulator'. That's like saying nothing in the DC scene is homebrew because it needs IP.BIN to boot.
It's thinking...
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

because they used a certain compiler DOESN'T mean they didn't code anything
Actually, it's not the compiler. The XDK is a set of libraries, which are developed by Microsoft. It's exactly like using WinCE or Katana for DC development, instead of KOS. Nothing like KOS exists on the Xbox yet, because people are just jumping in and using the XDK. And, since code from the XDK is incorporated directly into the programs when they're linked with the XDK libraries, you can't distribute XDK-build programs without distributing parts of the XDK (which you do not own) along with it.

It's like writing a piece of software for Windows, and shipping a free, warez version of Windows XP in the box.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Another reason I truely considered this is cause I went back to Everquest (something I swore Id never do). Main reason I did it was a friend offered to sell me his lvl 63 druid account for about 30 bucks over what he had invested in the software. I couldn't resist a offer like that, so Im back playing EQ. Since I got back into EQ I haven't even touched any of my game systems.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Veggita2099 wrote:Another reason I truely considered this is cause I went back to Everquest (something I swore Id never do). Main reason I did it was a friend offered to sell me his lvl 63 druid account for about 30 bucks over what he had invested in the software. I couldn't resist a offer like that, so Im back playing EQ. Since I got back into EQ I haven't even touched any of my game systems.
Go shoot yourself now.
|darc| wrote:I don't see what's the big deal about the XDK. Sure... I don't want ppl to use it, but if they do, it's STILL homebrew! Just because they used a certain compiler DOESN'T mean they didn't code anything. Its not like the downloaded a program and checked off 'Make Super Nintendo Entertainment System Emulator'. That's like saying nothing in the DC scene is homebrew because it needs IP.BIN to boot.
I've said the samething before.. I totally agree with you.
Even though the code has official Microsoft libraries with it and all that crap.. I really don't care.
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

Darc wrote:
I don't see what's the big deal about the XDK. Sure... I don't want ppl to use it, but if they do, it's STILL homebrew! Just because they used a certain compiler DOESN'T mean they didn't code anything. Its not like the downloaded a program and checked off 'Make Super Nintendo Entertainment System Emulator'. That's like saying nothing in the DC scene is homebrew because it needs IP.BIN to boot.
Xylene Wrote: :?

I've said the samething before.. I totally agree with you.
Even though the code has official Microsoft libraries with it and all that crap.. I really don't care.
finally some people start seeing since :mrgreen: , this is what i been saying all along, no one is lossing any money on it, and they still have to code it no matter what, its still there work, its just dumb saying stuff like they do nothing and stuff like that, no one is making any money from the work they do, and no one is lossing any money from the work they do, now if they where selling what they where making that would be another story, but since they are not selling there emulators and are not making any money from them then i dont mind, they are doing this for us at the end of the day, so we can have great full speed emulators on our console.

and vegita keep your ps2, the is a lot of good games coming out for it.

and that new Castlevania: Lament of Innocence looks so cool, i cant wait to play it.
Last edited by zero on Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Hollywood Hasney wrote:How is it? If something needs to use their technology to boot, it's legal (As cited in that Sega case). They can find other ways to dev for XBox but no-one seems to want to :?
Because anyone working with the XLinux stuff will have to work harder for fewer results, just to get flamed for not releasing something as good as could have been done by using the XDK.

Which is strangely discouraging.

Segagen is pretty much the reason we havent had 'decent' megadrive emulation on DC until now, most people know that deep down...
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

BlackAura wrote:
because they used a certain compiler DOESN'T mean they didn't code anything
Actually, it's not the compiler. The XDK is a set of libraries, which are developed by Microsoft. It's exactly like using WinCE or Katana for DC development, instead of KOS. Nothing like KOS exists on the Xbox yet, because people are just jumping in and using the XDK. And, since code from the XDK is incorporated directly into the programs when they're linked with the XDK libraries, you can't distribute XDK-build programs without distributing parts of the XDK (which you do not own) along with it.

It's like writing a piece of software for Windows, and shipping a free, warez version of Windows XP in the box.
Still... big deal? It's still coding.
It's thinking...
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Hollywood Hasney wrote:
|darc| wrote: I don't see what's the big deal about the XDK. Sure... I don't want ppl to use it, but if they do, it's STILL homebrew! Just because they used a certain compiler DOESN'T mean they didn't code anything. Its not like the downloaded a program and checked off 'Make Super Nintendo Entertainment System Emulator'. That's like saying nothing in the DC scene is homebrew because it needs IP.BIN to boot.
How is it? If something needs to use their technology to boot, it's legal (As cited in that Sega case). They can find other ways to dev for XBox but no-one seems to want to :?
I'm not talking about legality at all. But on the subject of legality, it took a LONG time to get a legal IP.BIN, and only one or two people worked on it, mainly LiENUS. Hardly anyone was interested. How is it any different in the Xbox scene?
It's thinking...
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Hollywood Hasney wrote:It wasn't known that the IP.BIN bootstrap could be replaced... At least it wasn't common knowledge. Unlike the fact that no-ones interested in something that is and known to be possible.
Yes, it was common knowledge... I've known it for damn long before the legal IP.BIN was released. It's right on the IP.BIN page at Marcus Comstedt's Dreamcast page. And that hasn't been updated in years.
It's thinking...