Doom with orginal Music I'd love to see it.

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Post by BlackAura »

NeonGenesis: Sounds like a good idea. I'd try to code it myself, but I don't have a cable yet. Looking at the DoomDC source, it uses the LibDream ARM sound server to do everything, so I don't know if it could be done.

I was trying to code a player for the PC that would be portable to the DC. The problem is getting the sound synth working. If I did that, I wouldn't have too much trouble getting it to play MUS files.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Id definitly like to see (or hear) the doom music, its definitly what its missing (and weapons changing via the controller).
So good luck, whatever way you do it.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I've had a go at getting it to play music using FM synthesis... Have a listen. (it's under "Attempt at Doom FM Music on a Dreamcast")

Not only does it sound bad, but I have no idea what I'm doing (I've never written a sound engine for an FM-based system before), the drum samples are missing (because they kill the rest of the samples), and I don't know if it'd work properly. If I can ever get it to sound right, I might put it in as a default option.

However, I think I'd have better luck with a wavetable synth. I just need a good set of samples. What I could do is have DoomDC use Wavetable mode if it can find the samples, and FM mode if not.
VB_User
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Post by VB_User »

Why doesnt someone just convert the music to mp3 and then have someone write the code into the game so that it plays the mp3s?

....dont yell at me if someone has already said this
MetalGearRay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by MetalGearRay »

BlackAura wrote:I've had a go at getting it to play music using FM synthesis... Have a listen. (it's under "Attempt at Doom FM Music on a Dreamcast")

Not only does it sound bad, but I have no idea what I'm doing (I've never written a sound engine for an FM-based system before), the drum samples are missing (because they kill the rest of the samples), and I don't know if it'd work properly. If I can ever get it to sound right, I might put it in as a default option.

However, I think I'd have better luck with a wavetable synth. I just need a good set of samples. What I could do is have DoomDC use Wavetable mode if it can find the samples, and FM mode if not.
I actually like it! If you can get this working, go for it!
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

I still say it would be a lot easier to just implement S3m support since the DC already has support for that, plus it is more flexable, and able to to pull of the original DOOM tunes just like the originals, all you have to do is open up OctaMED Sound Studio in Amiga OS or something to that effect, load up a MIDI file, load your instrumetns, and save it as a S3M file, simple. Might save you some time.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

The S3M player in KOS is not compatable with the sound output that DoomDC has, as far as I can see. It'd have to be a total re-write. And it wouldn't be that much harder than coding a Wavetable MIDI player, which is what you'd need for Doom's original music. That said, it might be possible to like the ModPlug from KOS into the sound system.

The FM idea was just so that you could run Doom without changing anything, and still get music. For MOD, S3M, XM, IT, OGG, MP3, WAVE and CDDA format music, you need to create/rip/download the music files, and that's not what I wanted. For Wavetable, you'd have to download a sound bank. That's better, because then all music will be able to play, including custom music from TCs. I'd prefer to get it running the original music first, then improve the music quality.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

XDelusion wrote:For instance take a look at the old PSX version of DOOM, the one thing that set that version ahead of the rest aside of the kich ass controls, was the ambience in the background. You did not have a sound track as so many cheesey new school horror flicks do now a days, no, rather like the old school horror movies of the 80's you had chilling background noises constantly playing through out the levels giving DOOM a whole new level in suspence!
Hrmmm... this remembers me of my Doom 64 cart... the best Doom ever (I didn't see Doom III yet). The only thing badly missing in it is multiplayer split-screen support (and maybe jump pack support). Do you know that they planned to add Quake's dynamic lights to Doom 64? They removed it, probably due to the speed hit. Doom 64 is the best FPS I ever played, even better than Quake or Quake III Arena. I'm pretty nostalgic now...

Well, back to topic. Looks like the new version of KOS does support CDDA. I hope that at least CDDA gets implemented in Doom DC.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

CDDA could be a bit of a problem, really. Doom tries to access the CD during the middle of the game, for some bizzare reason, so CDDA access (or MP3/OGG for that matter) stuffs up. That's not to say it couldn't be done, but I think that either tracker music (S3Ms and whatever) or MIDI support would probably be easier, because you wouldn't have to rewrite the precache system.

Edit: I've been working on MIDI support, but I need a sound bank. I have one, but it's 8MB, and no matter how I try, I can't fit that into the 800KB that I have free in the Sound RAM. So, I'd say a 2MB sound bank. Anyone have one they care to donate?
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

What is a sound bank anyhow? RAM for your Sound card? I remember seing those back in the day. :)

What's the deal anyhow with this midi stuff (not to be crass or anything), but
really, I don't miss it at ALL! :)
crt0
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by crt0 »

The sound banks he is talking about now would either be wavetable RAM or even ROM in some cases... basically a collection of samples that are used for MIDI playback...

The reason Doom hits the CD during gameplay is because it does not cache everything that is used in a level (gfx) at once... so if it encounters an area with something it hasn't loaded in yet, it will stop, spin up the disc (if it has spun down) and load the data of the disc... the reason you wouldn't notice this on a PC is because it would (usually) be running from the hard drive, so the access would be quick and wouldn't really interrupt game processing....

I don't know if you still need it blackaura but check your PM as I will send you the KOS-1.1.5 compatible sndstream.c ...
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

The sound banks I was referring to are sound samples for Wavetable soundcards. I wanted to use one of them to try to play music on the DC, by using it's sound hardware as a wavetable card.

I was doing MIDI support first simply because it would let ANYONE who uses it have some kind of music, and so that custom music from WAD files would work too. And it's actually a simpler format than S3M. Basically, I'm just going to bring it up to the same functionality as Doom PC before I start adding new features. If you don't like it, you could always turn it off...

After that (or if I can't get it to work), I was thinking of adding S3M support too. That way, you can just replace the music from Doom with S3M music, by replacing the msuic in the WAD file with an S3M. In order to add support for MP3, OGG or CD Audio, I'd have to change the way Doom loaded stuff from CD, as crt0 said, so that's not going to happen for a while. It might just happen, though.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

I wasn't saying MIDI was a bad idea, I say go for it if you can, all I was wondering was why exactly, but it seems that everyone seems to want those old tunes. Actually to tell the truth, I still find myself downloading MIDI files, and adding them to my levels from time to time, but don't let that out! :)

Oh ya, I just came across some strange tool, it turns midi into WAV files, go figure...
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Butter_pat_head wrote:
ChibiSakura wrote:bleh, i never liked the Doom music anyways
Were you listening to the FM adlib synthesis or wavetable? On my AWE64gold with a 1.5 meg snes soundfont doom's music just kicks ass! Even better with the 4 meg soundfont! However, the DC only has 2 meg of sound ram but the regular AWE cards only have 512K ram and a 1 meg rom for samples, so I think its possible to fit a half decent instrument bank and the games sound effects into the DC's 2 meg.
Yea midi's can sound really good if you got a GOOD wavetable Sound Card. I got a sound Blaster Live now but I think my Awe64 sounded just as good. Too bad newer motherboards don't normally have at least 1 ISA slot :(
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Here is the easiest way to get music to play on Doom Dc.

Get the entire Doom Soundtrack in midi format on your computer. Then take your computer speakers and put them near your TV. When your on a level set the computer to play that midi and repeat. When you beat a level go to the next file.

There you go feel better? :lol:
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

(looks at huge mess of non-working MIDI softsynth code)

Anyone for XM/IT/S3M/MOD support? I think I know how to do that. Now, if I can just get MID2XM working, we'll be all set.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Here here!!! :) Mod support would mean the DC would require a separate file download to have the original music, in that someone would have to convert the originals into MOD format (an easy task), and that is something I am ready to live with, considering I have not used original DOOM music for years now. :)

On the other hand we will be ahead of most other ports in that we will have better sound tracks with more instruments available. If any of you would like to check some of this stuff out.

http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/~aminet/mods/index.html

But these directories are my favorites:

http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/~aminet/mods ... index.html

And one of my faves, and Industrial MOD (more of my bag and Tekno) with sample form cEvin Key's (X Skinny Puppy Drummer (now a Ambient DJ) album: The Eyes Of Stanley Pain.

http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/~aminet/mods ... ildren.lha

Anyhow check them out wiht Winamp, and enjoy.
BobBorakovitz
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by BobBorakovitz »

Oh, that would rock soooooo much!!!
actually better than midi support!!!

On a side note..... if you could add that into doom, is that something
that could be made "standalone" the mod player, that is.... it would
be nice to be able to play all those old tunes on the DC with a menu
and all. Of, course, DoomDC should be priority numero uno! :lol:

-Later
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Oh ya, check this one out too, it's another that got played over and over again on my Amiga. :)

http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/~aminet/mods ... t_trip.lha

There is a remix of it in there somwhere too, maybe in this directory, but I can't seem to find it, very much worth looking up if Trance is your thing.

Ralphis
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Ralphis »

tracker files and mp3s would be bad in case of custom wads. I think the FM attempt sounds rather cool