DreamCast burning out?

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Anima
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DreamCast burning out?

Post by Anima »

I've heard online that by playing burnt games and emulators on your DC that your lens will overwork itself and burn out after awhile. Is this true?

If so, how long will it take for my lens to burn out before I can't play anymore emulators?
clessoulis
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by clessoulis »

Total BS.
DNR the current kickass dc programer. Thanks
for the emulator I've been waiting 2 years for.

Thanks to Reaper2k2 also for showing interest into WSC emulation.

Selfbooting for Noobs
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

GAme companies spread rumors like this. I remember back in the NES days a Nintendo rep told me that Game Genies will damage your NES systems. I used it for 6 years or so with the Game Genie and not only did it not hurt it, but it helped it. If I used the Game Genie I didn't have to blow it everytime I wanted to use it *sees perverts getting ideas*

Of course Nintendo did not make money from people useing teh game genie therefore they didn't like it. I bet if you asked any game company if a Gameshark hurts your system there going to say yes.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Sirmorpheous
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Re: DreamCast burning out?

Post by Sirmorpheous »

Anima wrote:I've heard online that by playing burnt games and emulators on your DC that your lens will overwork itself and burn out after awhile. Is this true?

If so, how long will it take for my lens to burn out before I can't play anymore emulators?
where did u get that info from? a website? i'm wondering because i play burned games online a lot on my dc
51R/\/\0RP|-|30|_|5

The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

The lens will be ok, but if you continue to play "backups" (uggh shudder) the motor will wear out quicker due to the differences between gd-rom and cd-rom sectors.

Plus if you play backups you'll go to hell.
JDCreationz
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by JDCreationz »

The Kron wrote:The lens will be ok, but if you continue to play "backups" (uggh shudder) the motor will wear out quicker due to the differences between gd-rom and cd-rom sectors.

Plus if you play backups you'll go to hell.
Backups and the Emulators are burnt onto the same media (CD-R) so therefore
you're contradicting yourself :wink:
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I know Sonic Adventure 1 accesses the Cd more then some of my back-up games do. And my Sonic Adventure 1 was bought new. It reads that thing to death.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

JDCreationz wrote:Backups and the Emulators are burnt onto the same media (CD-R) so therefore
you're contradicting yourself :wink:
Read what Hollywood Hasney wrote as its correct, an emu only loads once and then has to load the rom which takes seconds...then there is no more lens/motor use untill the next rom is asked to load, unlike a game where the motor and lens are in use at all times...No contradiction there.
Veggita the pirate wrote:I know Sonic Adventure 1 accesses the Cd more then some of my back-up games do. And my Sonic Adventure 1 was bought new. It reads that thing to death.
Again thats completely dependent on the size of each game and the space usage on the disc.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

cless wrote:Total BS.
Learn something, you ass.
veggita wrote:GAme companies spread rumors like this. I remember back in the NES days a Nintendo rep told me that Game Genies will damage your NES systems. I used it for 6 years or so with the Game Genie and not only did it not hurt it, but it helped it. If I used the Game Genie I didn't have to blow it everytime I wanted to use it *sees perverts getting ideas*

Of course Nintendo did not make money from people useing teh game genie therefore they didn't like it. I bet if you asked any game company if a Gameshark hurts your system there going to say yes.
Note that SEGA said nothing about CD-Rs hurting your system.

GDs w/ Commercial Games = Ok
CDs w/ Commercial Games = Hurts GD-ROM Motor
CDs w/ Apps on them = Ok
CDs w/ Emus on them = Ok
CDs w/ Homebrew Games = Ok
It's thinking...
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Ported commercial games from the PC might have the same effect. They read data from all over the place, and that would put a lot more strain on the motor that reading a rom or a small chunk of data like most homebrew games / emulators do. What'd make it worse is that no PC game was designed to run from a CD, so the data isn't even remotely optimised for it.
drunkensailor
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by drunkensailor »

|darc| wrote:
veggita wrote:GAme companies spread rumors like this. I remember back in the NES days a Nintendo rep told me that Game Genies will damage your NES systems. I used it for 6 years or so with the Game Genie and not only did it not hurt it, but it helped it. If I used the Game Genie I didn't have to blow it everytime I wanted to use it *sees perverts getting ideas*

CDs w/ Apps on them = Ok
CDs w/ Emus on them = Ok

gd roms r a lot bigger then cd-r's and since the dc games r bigger then the cd-r's the dc will have 2 work really hard,u can notice this by sounds and talking in games that isn't timed right like u hear it first and then u see it
come in peace and leave in pieces

life is hard but the frontside of a train is harder
Sirmorpheous
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Sirmorpheous »

|darc| wrote:

CDs w/ Apps on them = Ok
CDs w/ Emus on them = Ok
what happens if motor breaks?
51R/\/\0RP|-|30|_|5

-Johnick-
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by -Johnick- »

|darc| wrote: GDs w/ Commercial Games = Ok
CDs w/ Apps on them = Ok
CDs w/ Emus on them = Ok
By youre Logic Bleemcast will destroy the gd rom motor(it use's Psx games on a cd).
-Johnick-
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by -Johnick- »

Sirmorpheous wrote:
|darc| wrote:

CDs w/ Apps on them = Ok
CDs w/ Emus on them = Ok
what happens if motor breaks?
You buy a new motor or a new Dreamcast.Its still cheaper then buying legit copies of all youre games ;).

Burned games will make the GD work harder but not half as much as most of the peeps here are saying.Some rips are worse then others though.Some rips were Nothing had to be removed,no movies or music had to be downsampled and the game has a nice big dummy file to push the data to the outside of the disc will work almost as good as an originl.Then there are games that dont have dummy files and barely fit on the cd,these arent too bad.The ones to avoid are the butchered rips like Shemue 2(TONS! of stuff removed) Skies of Arcadia(uses on the fly decompression) and Grandia 2(they had to split the game on 2 cd's).
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

-Johnick- wrote:
|darc| wrote: GDs w/ Commercial Games = Ok
CDs w/ Apps on them = Ok
CDs w/ Emus on them = Ok
By youre Logic Bleemcast will destroy the gd rom motor(it use's Psx games on a cd).
The PSX games have their data tracks laid out logically to reduce the amount of seeking, thus wear, the drive has to go through. Also, PSX games have to load a lot less from the disc at any one time (about 6x as little as a DC game would). I'd be more worried about using Soul Calibur than any PSX game or emulator in the dreamcast, it streams background music in such a way that the drive is almost always seeking about the disc.
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

-Johnick- please keep your comments to yourself regarding warez, people who support developers by wanting to buy originals find pro warez comments like yours offensive and your doing nothing for yourself.
clessoulis
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by clessoulis »

|darc| wrote:
I've had my japanese system scene launch and i've been playing backups all the time. I guess it could ruin your system in 15 or so year but who the fuck would care then?

Selfbooting for Noobs
-Johnick-
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by -Johnick- »

The Kron wrote:-Johnick- please keep your comments to yourself regarding warez, people who support developers by wanting to buy originals find pro warez comments like yours offensive .
Sorry if i offended you.I buy originils,im not pro warez.When it comes to games like Shenmue 2 and Soul Calibur ill gladly shell out the bucks but when it comes to average games like Maken X ill settle for a cdr thank you.

My point is there are a lot of peeps here who preach Video Game Ethics to others when at the back of it there huge pirates themselves,and to preach Video Game Ethics on an emu forum is stupid as emulation is borderline warez as it is.
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

Cless wrote:I've had my japanese system scene launch and i've been playing backups all the time. I guess it could ruin your system in 15 or so year but who the fudge would care then?
Cless whats the model number of your Japanese DC?
-Johnick- wrote:but when it comes to average games like Maken X ill settle for a cdr thank you.

and to preach Video Game Ethics on an emu forum is stupid as emulation is borderline warez as it is.
If you have no intent to buy the game, you have no right to own it via any means, your example of downloading Maken X because you feel it is average is crazy...How much does that game cost in the shops??? ?5 maximum and you choose to have a lame cdr???, and ethics need to be preached as there are too many people who take liberties and feel stealing from the industry is some how acceptable by some twisted backward ignorant view, and there is nothing warez about the emulators on this site, the rom situation is warez and that is why links and topics about roms are prohibited.
clessoulis
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by clessoulis »

The Kron wrote:
Cless wrote:I've had my japanese system scene launch and i've been playing backups all the time. I guess it could ruin your system in 15 or so year but who the fudge would care then?
Cless whats the model number of your Japanese DC?
-Johnick- wrote:but when it comes to average games like Maken X ill settle for a cdr thank you.

and to preach Video Game Ethics on an emu forum is stupid as emulation is borderline warez as it is.
If you have no intent to buy the game, you have no right to own it via any means, and ethics need to be preached as there are too many people who take liberties and feel stealing from the industry is some how acceptable by some twisted backward ignorant view, and there is nothing warez about the emulators on this site, the rom situation is warez and that is why links and topics about roms are prohibited.
I dont know what model mine is its boxed up right now as its the ones with water cooling and I wanna save it. I'm using a US model HK3-3200 right now.

BTW i know it seems like I only have copys but I try to buy the game whenever I can. If I can find the orginals I normally buy them. Just the other day I bout TXR 1 & 2.

Selfbooting for Noobs