Windows 7 OEM

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Specially Cork
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Windows 7 OEM

Post by Specially Cork »

I went shopping for an English version of Windows 7 yesterday (in China) and suprisingly found boxes and boxes of OEM copies for every different version and every major computer brand. The price is right, but I don't really know much about buying OEM software. Am I right in thinking that although it will activate OK, I will not be legally licensed to use it? Or are there further repercussions?
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Windows 7 OEM

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

It's what I'm using right now. A copy that ASUS sent me for my laptop... installed on my desktop.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

BoneyCork wrote:I went shopping for an English version of Windows 7 yesterday (in China) and suprisingly found boxes and boxes of OEM copies for every different version and every major computer brand. The price is right, but I don't really know much about buying OEM software. Am I right in thinking that although it will activate OK, I will not be legally licensed to use it? Or are there further repercussions?
Pretty sure you actually will be legally licensed to use it but you are not eligible to call Microsoft for support. And of course you don't get any pretty box or anything for it.
It's thinking...
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

As far as I can remember (I stopped caring about Windows licensing years ago) there are several types of OEM Windows discs / licenses.

The first is the pre-activated kind that major computer manufacturers (Dell, for example) use. This one uses generic product keys (not the one on the sticker attached to the machine), and isn't transferrable to another machine. It's licensed only for the machine it was pre-installed on, and wouldn't work on another machine anyway. There are no install discs for these, only restore discs.

The next is the standard OEM version. It behaves like the retail version - you install it on any old machine, and it'll install and activate fine. You're supposed to buy these with a new system (typically, with a motherboard, or with a system built by a shop), and then install it onto that system. It's licensed only for the system it's first installed on, but it doesn't matter which system that actually is.

These versions are fine. They don't have any branding for any computer manufacturer anywhere on them, and will work on anything. Once. If you need to replace your motherboard, expect to have to buy a new copy of Windows (or call Microsoft and persuade them to re-activate it), because the licenses are non-transferable.

The third flavour is branded OEM copies. These are shipped with PCs (occasionally), and are intended to be used with the product key on the sticker attached to the machine. They're licensed only for the machine they were sold with, and the license is non-transferable. In order to use them, even on the machine they were supplied with, you must call Microsoft's support line - all of these product keys are disabled, because you're supposed to use the restore discs instead. At least, that's the theory. The two machines I've re-installed from the supplied CDs required this, but I've heard that others have been able to do this without calling Microsoft.

These versions are a bit dodgy. If someone's selling them separately, chances are that they took the disc packs out of pre-installed and pre-activated machines, and sold them separately. Dodgy license aside, they might work, but there's a chance that they might not.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

Windows 7 licensing is now a little bit different. It will activate just fine, right. It won't be a legal license. It is only legal to put on a computer you build and plan to sell. I can source it if you want.

edit:I am only talking about OEM copies you can buy on newegg and such.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

If all else fails: 7Loader
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Zealous zerotype wrote:Windows 7 licensing is now a little bit different. It will activate just fine, right. It won't be a legal license. It is only legal to put on a computer you build and plan to sell. I can source it if you want.

edit:I am only talking about OEM copies you can buy on newegg and such.
Can you sell it to ... yourself? ;)
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

You actually can't do that or even give the computer away iirc. I mean sure it will register legit and everything, but if you are breaking the license might as well just use a cracked version.
DYTDMFBSB?
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Zealous zerotype wrote:You actually can't do that or even give the computer away iirc. I mean sure it will register legit and everything, but if you are breaking the license might as well just use a cracked version.
Based on past experience I'm assuming a cracked version will just lead to problems further down the line with regard to updates and stuff.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

BoneyCork wrote:
Zealous zerotype wrote:You actually can't do that or even give the computer away iirc. I mean sure it will register legit and everything, but if you are breaking the license might as well just use a cracked version.
Based on past experience I'm assuming a cracked version will just lead to problems further down the line with regard to updates and stuff.
I mean that is fine my experiences have differed, but I can understand your jaded view. If it ever does lead to problems you can always just pay at a discounted price once you fail activation.
DYTDMFBSB?
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Well I bought one. Cost me about $10. Turns out it was a Dell upgrade option disc that didn't care if it was actually upgrading anything or not (apparently they're all like that?). Activated fine. Thanks for the help guys.