Trouble With Genesis Plus DC

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Dreamer
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Trouble With Genesis Plus DC

Post by Dreamer »

Hi! I'm new to this forum, so I'll give a brief introduction: My name is Alec, I'm 14, I just got a Dreamcast, and I honestly couldn't think of a better username.

So, I've been trying to burn a successful Genesis Plus DC CD-R for a while. So far, I've made 4 coasters and wasted several hours of my time.

I used selfboot inducer to open the gpwt-280107-Quzar version of Genesis Plus DC. I know this probably isn't the newest version, but I've searched all around the net and only found broken links to the newest version.

Anyway, I opened it with the "Multi Menu". All the files then went into the inducer folder. So, the only ROMs, I could seem to find were in .md format. I wasn't sure if this was compatible, so I used a program called "SMD BIN WIN 2.0b-rc2" to convert the .md files into .BIN files. I then zipped them and moved them into the roms folder. I typed up the ROMS.TXT file. After that, I pointed Boot Dreams to the Inducer folder and converted it all into a dummied DiscJuggler file.

I went into DiscJuggler, selected my file, set it onto Mode 2, 2352, 8x, and RAW write. I burned it onto a regular CD-R. I did not touch my computer while it burned, nor did I have anything running in the background.

I put the CD into my DC & selected a ROM. I got the loading screen, and my DC reboots, and goes back to the SBI menu. I tried it with different ROMs too: no luck.

I'm sure your eyes are all burning now from reading all this, but I wanted to give you all the details. So, where am I going wrong? Thanks!
Christuserloeser

Re: Trouble With Genesis Plus DC

Post by Christuserloeser »

.md files are not the same as .smd files! which are interleaved, .md files are the same as .bin files! which are _not_ interleaved, so your converter is probably doing something to the ROMs that isn't necessary nor recommended.

I got no idea why or when they decided that .md would be a good choice for .bin files.

SBI files can be found here: http://dchelp.net/selfboot-inducer-file ... ?type=Emus

and the GPDC version I'd recommend is the 2006 release by BlackAura as it seems to run slightly better than Quzar's, something that we didn't spot during the beta tests: http://dchelp.net/sbifiles/Emus/Genesis ... ckAura.sbi

If you want you can put both on the same disc. Quzar's has sound with the Sega of Japan's Disney games (Castle of Illusion, Quackshot, World of Illusion).
Insane homebrew collector.
Dreamer
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Dreamer »

Christuserloeser wrote:.md files are the same as .bin files! which are _not_ interleaved, so your converter is probably doing something to the ROMs that isn't necessary nor recommended.

I got no idea why or when they decided that .md would be a good choice for .bin files.
So basically, you're saying that I can just use my .md files without converting them at all?

I might not be understanding something that's painfully obvious here, but I'm still pretty new to emulation.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

.md files are the same as .bin files! which are _not_ interleaved, so your converter is probably doing something to the ROMs that isn't necessary nor recommended.
I think he was saying that the converter you used may be incorrectly modifying your roms, because they are already de-interleaved.

You could try running them through Cowering's GoodGen to verify them. - http://www.allgoodthings.us/
I put the CD into my DC & selected a ROM. I got the loading screen, and my DC reboots, and goes back to the SBI menu.
So you actually made it to the rom selection screen, but it resets when you select one? Maybe your roms list wasn't made correctly. Did you use the rom list bilder, or did you create it manually?
ImageImageImageImage
Christuserloeser

^ True, that is something I did not even consider. There might be an issue with your ROM list, but first things first:
Dreamer wrote:So basically, you're saying that I can just use my .md files without converting them at all?
Yeah, all you need to do is to rename them from .md to .bin.

If that does not solve the issue, it will likely be something with your ROM list.
Dreamer
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Dreamer »

Stryfe wrote:
.md files are the same as .bin files! which are _not_ interleaved, so your converter is probably doing something to the ROMs that isn't necessary nor recommended.
I think he was saying that the converter you used may be incorrectly modifying your roms, because they are already de-interleaved.

You could try running them through Cowering's GoodGen to verify them. - http://www.allgoodthings.us/
I put the CD into my DC & selected a ROM. I got the loading screen, and my DC reboots, and goes back to the SBI menu.
So you actually made it to the rom selection screen, but it resets when you select one? Maybe your roms list wasn't made correctly. Did you use the rom list bilder, or did you create it manually?
I couldn't seem to figure out the list builder, so I did it myself. I'll try GoodGen too.
Christuserloeser wrote:
Dreamer wrote:So basically, you're saying that I can just use my .md files without converting them at all?
Yeah, all you need to do is to rename them from .md to .bin.

If that does not solve the issue, it will likely be something with your ROM list.
Do they need to be zipped after I rename them, or can I just put them in the ROMS list as .bin?
Christuserloeser

Dreamer wrote:I couldn't seem to figure out the list builder, so I did it myself.
That might be your problem there.

Dreamer wrote:Do they need to be zipped after I rename them, or can I just put them in the ROMS list as .bin?
If I remember correctly, they don't need to be zipped.
Dreamer
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Dreamer »

Christuserloeser wrote:
Dreamer wrote:I couldn't seem to figure out the list builder, so I did it myself.
That might be your problem there.
Well, here's an example of an item on the list:

Desert_Strike.zip Desert Strike

I don't see what's wrong with that.

Also, I have no idea how to use GoodGen. I see convert, but I don't know how to use it. Do I need to type in the file name, or can I type a directory so that all of the roms within that directory can be converted?
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

I don't know if the OP still needs help with this...
Well, here's an example of an item on the list:

Desert_Strike.zip Desert Strike

I don't see what's wrong with that.
Looks right to me, just remember that the name of the rom on the list, zipped or not, can't have spaces. Also make sure they are on their own line.

Right:

Code: Select all

Mortal_Kombat_2.bin MK II
Disney's_Aladdin.zip Aladdin
Wrong:

Code: Select all

Mortal Kombat 2.bin MK II Disney's Aladdin.zip Aladdin
Maybe you could tell us what you didn't understand about the romlister? There also was this thread: How to create perfect ROMS.txt file for GenPlus

Also, I have no idea how to use GoodGen. I see convert, but I don't know how to use it.
Don't use "convert"; Use "rename".

Also you could try the Goodtools Frontend - GoodGUI. Go to "Main->Config" to set your paths to the GoodGEN.exe, and your roms.

This only verifies the roms, and renames them to the GoodTools standard. To rename the ".md" extension to ".bin" quickly, use this bat file. Drop it into the roms folder, and double-click it. (Go ahead check it out before running: Right click->Edit)
Attachments
rename_ext_to_bin.zip
Rename ext to ".bin" batch file.
(179 Bytes) Downloaded 167 times
ImageImageImageImage
Dreamer
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Dreamer »

Stryfe wrote: Looks right to me, just remember that the name of the rom on the list, zipped or not, can't have spaces. Also make sure they are on their own line.
Yup, that's how I did it.
Stryfe wrote: Maybe you could tell us what you didn't understand about the romlister?
Well, I tried using GPWTRL. I selected the directories. I process, and I have no idea where the ROMS.TXT file went. Also, it says in the help file that all roms must be zipped.
Stryfe wrote:To rename the ".md" extension to ".bin" quickly, use this bat file.
Ok, that worked fine, so now I don't need to use GoodGen?
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Stryfe wrote:Looks right to me, just remember that the name of the rom on the list, zipped or not, can't have spaces. Also make sure they are on their own line.
I got rid of that limitation in my versions. Now you can do this: " Mortal Kombat 2.bin | MK II " Just separate the filename and name with a pipe: '|'
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

It had been a while since I had done this, so I decided to go back and double-check everything.

It seems that the roms need to be renamed to not contain spaces, not just in the roms list, but the roms themselves.

Examples that work:
Rename 'Comix Zone (U) [!].bin' to 'Comix_Zone_(U)_[!].bin'
Rename 'Comix Zone (U) [!].bin' to 'ComixZone(U)[!].bin'

After doing that the roms worked.

I'd also recommend testing the CDI image you created in NullDC. I used the Chankast video plugin, with the Null audio plugin. It'll save you some cd-rs for testing to see if you got it right.

I also updated the wiki page to reflect this: GenesisPlusDC

Like Quzar mentioned above, the no spaces limitation for the list was removed in his build, but it'll also recognize the older style rom list as well. If you know how, you can actually put both versions on one disc.
ImageImageImageImage
Dreamer
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Dreamer »

Stryfe wrote: It seems that the roms need to be renamed to not contain spaces, not just in the roms list, but the roms themselves. After doing that the roms worked.
That's almost definitely the problem. I'll fix that.
Stryfe wrote: I'd also recommend testing the CDI image you created in NullDC. It'll save you some cd-rs for testing to see if you got it right.
Well, that'll save me some time. So, I can test it using the discjuggler image?
Stryfe wrote: If you know how, you can actually put both versions on one disc.
Unfortunately, I don't. I'm going to skip that step, because I'm almost certainly going to mess something up.

I'd just like to thank you all for the support you've given me so far. I feel like I'm about to finally get it right.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

Dreamer wrote:
Stryfe wrote: It seems that the roms need to be renamed to not contain spaces, not just in the roms list, but the roms themselves. After doing that the roms worked.
If the roms are already zipped, just rename the zip file to not contain spaces, not the rom inside it.
Dreamer wrote:
Stryfe wrote: I'd also recommend testing the CDI image you created in NullDC. It'll save you some cd-rs for testing to see if you got it right.
Well, that'll save me some time. So, I can test it using the discjuggler image?
Yes. You can load it up in NullDC, with the plugins I specified at least.
Dreamer wrote:
Stryfe wrote: If you know how, you can actually put both versions on one disc.
Unfortunately, I don't. I'm going to skip that step, because I'm almost certainly going to mess something up.
What it means is if you create the roms.txt for the BlackAura build, it'll work with the Quzar one as well. Of course you'll have to use the SBI's in SBInducer for that.
ImageImageImageImage
Dreamer
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Dreamer »

Stryfe wrote:
Dreamer wrote:
If the roms are already zipped, just rename the zip file to not contain spaces, not the rom inside it.
I wasn't planning on zipping them. I was going to just put the bare .bin files in instead. Christuserloser said it would work fine.

UPDATE: I tried the nullDC test with both the BlackAura and Quazar versions. It worked. However, there were still serious audio and video problems, even using the specified plugins. I guess I'll just try it on my Dreamcast, and hope that those problems were only related to NullDC
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

I wasn't planning on zipping them.
You don't need to. I was just saying...
However, there were still serious audio and video problems, even using the specified plugins.
Well, I only meant to see if the roms.txt was working, and you'd have to test in a real DC. Keep in mind ther are a few games that do have major graphic/audio glitches, like any Street Fighter, or Mortal Kombat game. Some games don't work at all, but MOST of them work great though.

The BlackAura is the best all around build, with Quzar's being the best for a select few titles.

This is an on again, off again, kind of project. These guys do this in their unpaid free time, so we may never see any more bug-fixes.
ImageImageImageImage
Dreamer
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Dreamer »

Stryfe wrote:You don't need to. I was just saying...
Just double checking.
Dreamer wrote:However, there were still serious audio and video problems, even using the specified plugins.
Stryfe wrote:Well, I only meant to see if the roms.txt was working, and you'd have to test in a real DC.
Well then, I guess the ROMS.TXT is working fine. I'll try it on my DC and give you guys the results (as soon as I can get hold of another cd-r, I wasted all of mine.)
Dreamer
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Dreamer »

Alright, so I got it working on my DC, but with mixed results.

First off, ROMS.TXT works perfectly. Next, sound is flawless.

Third, video is great, clean sprite animations, and perfect frame rate. On some games.

On other games, video is all messed up. I have found no racing games that have playable video. The road is not even visible, and the top half of the screen is just covered with a still picture of the road.

Some other games have video problems too. Frogger, for example, has a big black bar going through the screen. On Sonic the Hedgehog, there is literally no ground, just little weird shapes covering the screen. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 worked flawlessly, until I got to about the fourth stage, where it froze up on me (Which was very irritating. :x )

I tried testing those flawed ROMs on NullDC. They had the same problems. I also tried the same ROMs on a regular PC emulator and they worked perfectly. Just to factor it out, I tried using roms from different sources. They were all the same. I even tried Quazar's version. Once again, the same outcome.

Anyone know what's up?

One more question: I actually noticed some scuff marks where the laser was reading the disc. Should I be concerned?
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

1st; try changing the emulator settings in the GenesisPlusDC menu.

Via our GenPlusDC page:
CPU Settings
Some details about the different settings:

Pressing (B) at the menu changes the CPU emulator. You can select either

FAME - Fox68k's great SH4 M68K emulator for fastest emulation, or

C68K - Stef D's fast and accurate M68K emulator for better compatibility.

Video Settings
Press (A) to toggle the graphics renderer. You can select either

HW - Hardware renderer written by BlackAura, using the Dreamcast's PowerVR II DC, very fast but inaccurate in a few games, or

SW - Standard software renderer of GenesisPlusDC by Charles MacDonald, 100% accurate but much slower.
2nd; run your roms through GoodGen with the rename option selected.
Good code meanings below, and more, can be found here: |Image|
[!] - Verified Good Dump The ROM is an exact copy of the cartridge; it has not had any hacks or modifications.
[a] - Alternative version The ROM is an alternative release of the game. Many games have been re-released to fix bugs or to eliminate Game Genie codes.
- Bad Dump A ROM image which has been corrupted during its distribution. They often have graphics errors or sometimes don't work at all.
[f] - Fixed Dump A fixed dump is a game that has been altered to work better on a flashcart or an emulator.
[h] - Hacked ROM The ROM has been user modified, with examples being changing the internal header or country codes, applying a release group intro, or editing the games content.
[o] - Overdumped ROM The ROM contains some non executable data in it. It doesn't affect the game at all, it just makes the ROM bigger.
[p] - Pirated version A dump of a pirated version of a cartridge; they often have their copyright messages or company names removed or corrupted.
[t] - Trained version A trained ROM is a ROM which either has been hacked to include cheats, or includes a cheat menu for users to use cheats ingame.
[!p] - Dump Pending This is the closest dump to the original cart but the proper ROM is waiting to be dumped.

I have found no racing games that have playable video.

Something to do with either the type of graphics, or romchip, used for the games. Roadrash, Top Gear, etc...

Some other games have video problems too. Frogger, for example, has a big black bar going through the screen. On Sonic the Hedgehog, there is literally no ground, just little weird shapes covering the screen. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 worked flawlessly, until I got to about the fourth stage, where it froze up on me (Which was very irritating. )
The only Sonic games I remembering having issues with were Sonic 3 (Gfx), and Sonic & Knuckles + Sonic 3 (Gfx). Was the fourth level a boss level? I might vaguely remember someone saying it crashed after a boss battle. Try finding a patch to fix it to a - [f], [f1], [f2], etc...
ImageImageImageImage
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Dreamer wrote:On other games, video is all messed up. I have found no racing games that have playable video. The road is not even visible, and the top half of the screen is just covered with a still picture of the road.

Some other games have video problems too. Frogger, for example, has a big black bar going through the screen.
That's normal for this emulator. GP/DC uses a hardware-based video renderer (it uses the Dreamcast's 3D hardware to draw the graphics)which is much faster than software-based rendering. However, it has some limitations. Racing games simply can not work with a hardware-based renderer. Some other types of games will have problems. Most of the time, these don't make the game unplayable, but sometimes (racing games, for instance) they do.

They should work with the software-based renderer, but they will be slower, although probably just about playable. With the software renderer turned on, and sound turned off, it'll run at full speed with no graphics glitches. I can't remember if there were any public builds that included the option to disable sound. I know I certainly had that option at some point, but whether it was ever released or not, I don't know.
On Sonic the Hedgehog, there is literally no ground, just little weird shapes covering the screen. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 worked flawlessly, until I got to about the fourth stage, where it froze up on me (Which was very irritating. :x )
Some games only work properly with one of the two CPU emulators. You may have to try switching between them.