Warner Bros. Will Exchange HD-DVDs for Blu-Rays

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Warner Bros. Will Exchange HD-DVDs for Blu-Rays

Post by DaMadFiddler »

http://playstation.joystiq.com/2009/04/ ... r-hd-dvds/
Joystiq wrote:If you were one of those crazy, pie-in-the-sky HD DVD adopters (like one of those Microbots), know that Warner Bros. has offered to take your HD DVDs and supply you with fresh Blu-ray versions of those movies. It's not all on the arm, however, as there is a $4.95 upgrade fee for each disc. When you think about it, the $5 is a lot less than actually buying the Blu-ray, so it's not that bad. Of course, your only option aside from all of that is to never watch the movie again and, really, who can live without August Rush? We know we can't!

http://www.red2blu.com/products.html
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Re: Warner Bros. Will Exchange HD-DVDs for Blu-Rays

Post by impetus »

Joystiq wrote: your only option aside from all of that is to never watch the movie again
That's a fucking retarded statement.

I saw this program earlier, seems pretty solid. I may actually take them up on it. I was super-pissed when the Animatrix disc packed with the HD-DVD's was the same regular DVD I already owned.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I can watch my HD-DVDs whenever I want :?

But having said that, if I had the option in Australia I would seriously consider it.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Umm is it possible for Next batch of Blu-Ray players to just play HD-DVD's instead?

I mean it's not like I am shoving a VHS Cassette in an LD tray.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

BILAL_XIA wrote:Umm is it possible for Next batch of Blu-Ray players to just play HD-DVD's instead?

I mean it's not like I am shoving a VHS Cassette in an LD tray.
Yes, and there are combo players out there, but the cost tends to be much higher.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

I was gonna add into that, but forgot: how many combo LD/DVD players have you seen? There are quite a few, but they're quite expensive both because of the tech required as well as the niche-ness of them which forces them into the domain of the videophile. I'm not sure on the numbers, but I'd wager that the market penetration for LDs was higher than that of HD DVDs.

As a side note Pioneer just stopped making combo LD/DVD players in january. I would love to see a CD/SACD/DVDA/LD/VCD/DVD/HD DVD/BluRay player, it would just make sense
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Quzar wrote:I was gonna add into that, but forgot: how many combo LD/DVD players have you seen? There are quite a few, but they're quite expensive both because of the tech required as well as the niche-ness of them which forces them into the domain of the videophile. I'm not sure on the numbers, but I'd wager that the market penetration for LDs was higher than that of HD DVDs.

As a side note Pioneer just stopped making combo LD/DVD players in january. I would love to see a CD/SACD/DVDA/LD/VCD/DVD/HD DVD/BluRay player, it would just make sense
You forgot SVCD, CVD, EVD, GD, and a few other things I'm sure I'm forgetting.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
Quzar wrote:I was gonna add into that, but forgot: how many combo LD/DVD players have you seen? There are quite a few, but they're quite expensive both because of the tech required as well as the niche-ness of them which forces them into the domain of the videophile. I'm not sure on the numbers, but I'd wager that the market penetration for LDs was higher than that of HD DVDs.

The first three aren't used for media anywhere but Asia (pressed at least), and the last was never used for media distribution, so 'player' wouldn't mean much ;)
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

DaMadFiddler wrote:

While you're at it, you might as well throw in the old divx format, too (the pay-per-view DVDs or whatever they were). Can't forget mp3-format CDs, either.

On a similar note, why don't we have music DVDs, yet (wouldn't that make it a DMD, though)? Can you imagine if new cars were equipped with stereos that were capable of reading mp3s off of DVDs? That would actually make more sense than some of the smaller capacity PMPs.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

curt_grymala wrote:On a similar note, why don't we have music DVDs, yet (wouldn't that make it a DMD, though)? Can you imagine if new cars were equipped with stereos that were capable of reading mp3s off of DVDs?
We do, there are two formats for music DVDs, DVD-A which works the same as video DVDs, and SACD which works off a completely different sort of data and frequency (also, the V in DVD stands for Versatile, not Video).

My mother's 08 Acura MDX plays DVD-A as well as mp3/wma off of CD or DVD.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

I have only about 10 HD DVDs, i'll hang on to em as by the time i shell out for a bluray player it will probably be equipped with HD DVD playback...along with every other video format
*The Cadillac of signatures*
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

That is my idea as well, at some point adding HD-DVD media support would be quite cheap so manufacturers will include it.

You can't compare HD-DVD's to LD's. Without any technical knowledge one just assumes LD's are larger discs :P, Big Cd's, Big Space :D.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

BILAL_XIA wrote:That is my idea as well, at some point adding HD-DVD media support would be quite cheap so manufacturers will include it.

You can't compare HD-DVD's to LD's. Without any technical knowledge one just assumes LD's are larger discs :P, Big Cd's, Big Space :D.
Though the interpretation of the signal is different, they are basically big CDs. It's not like CED which is like a 'video grammaphone disc'.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

curt_grymala wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:

While you're at it, you might as well throw in the old divx format, too (the pay-per-view DVDs or whatever they were). Can't forget mp3-format CDs, either.

On a similar note, why don't we have music DVDs, yet (wouldn't that make it a DMD, though)? Can you imagine if new cars were equipped with stereos that were capable of reading mp3s off of DVDs? That would actually make more sense than some of the smaller capacity PMPs.

Might as well throw in that "Dreamcast on a chip" thing, too.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Though the interpretation of the signal is different, they are basically big CDs. It's not like CED which is like a 'video grammaphone disc'.
Big difference is laserdisc video is stored in an analog manner. That is, rather that just having a pit that the laser picks up or no pit, there are different depths and lengths of pits to be interepreted into video. But yeah, similar laser pickup tech.

LDs made from the mid-80s on have digital audio, which in fact is identical to CD audio.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Lartrak wrote:
Big difference is laserdisc video is stored in an analog manner. That is, rather that just having a pit that the laser picks up or no pit, there are different depths and lengths of pits to be interepreted into video. But yeah, similar laser pickup tech.

LDs made from the mid-80s on have digital audio, which in fact is identical to CD audio.
Both read an analog stream from the disc. The difference is just in the processing. With 'digital' each segment is read as either a pit or land, with analog, no such interpretation is performed. It's the same way that data is stored on cassettes or analog audio on a floppy, or even morse code over plain audio (in fact, that's going to be my new analogy for explaining digital stuff to people).