Ok what is so wonderful about Odin Sphere?

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ok what is so wonderful about Odin Sphere?

Post by Veggita2099 »

I have heard how wonderfully magically this title is etc. I just rented it and have no clue whats supposed to be going on? No idea what the story is supposed to be. I mean you start off as this kid and open a book and all of a sudden I am in a battlefield. Stages seem to be very small circular areas where you fight the same enemies over and over again.

Am I missing something here, or does it get better? This was the title that was available in my GameQ with Gamefly. Since it is rented I do not have the manual with it. If this is the way this entire game plays I don't see anything special about it at all.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Re: Ok what is so wonderful about Odin Sphere?

Post by Zealous zerotype »

Veggita2099 wrote:I have heard how wonderfully magically this title is etc. I just rented it and have no clue whats supposed to be going on? No idea what the story is supposed to be. I mean you start off as this kid and open a book and all of a sudden I am in a battlefield. Stages seem to be very small circular areas where you fight the same enemies over and over again.

Am I missing something here, or does it get better? This was the title that was available in my GameQ with Gamefly. Since it is rented I do not have the manual with it. If this is the way this entire game plays I don't see anything special about it at all.
It is supost to be set up like a typical fight in DBZ.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

You don't like any games. Quit playing them.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

APE wrote:You don't like any games. Quit playing them.

I just came in here asking a simple question. Nobody forced you to read or respond to this thread. I have actually had a pretty good run on good games lately actually.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Veggita2099 wrote:
APE wrote:You don't like any games. Quit playing them.

I just came in here asking a simple question. Nobody forced you to read or respond to this thread. I have actually had a pretty good run on good games lately actually.
It's not a simple question though.

The things that make Odin Sphere a good game are:

- The story (which you don't get)
- The visuals (which you haven't mentioned)
- The gameplay (which you don't like)

You've already made your mind up about the game so I don't see what anyone else can say to change your mind. We're just going to end up in another worthless argument where one person says what they like, then you dismiss it all as stuff you don't like.

It's a completely redundant question. "I've heard lots of good things about this game, but I don't like it, so what are the good things about this game?". You've gone full circle on yourself. Just leave it as another game you don't like and move on.

Oh, and for the record, you are the pickiest gamer I know. :P
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Thanks I think you answered my question Boney. I just thought it might get better later on. Far as the visuals go I didn't mention anything since people seem to get upset over being a graphics whore. After playing PS3/360 games though its hard to be impressed by them, however for a PS2 game they are pretty decent.

I will agree I am pretty picky, but for the record the last 6 or so games I have gotten/rented/demoed have been pretty decent (Super Paper Mario, handful of Wii downloads, Kirby game for DS, Castlevania SOTN, Double Dragon Xbox Live, Turtles Xbox Live, Overlord 360, and as much as I hate to admit it, The Sims 2.
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by politoe »

I purchased it and can only say that I enjoy the visuals a lot. The gameplay does get repetitive.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

At the end of the day it's one of those niche JRPG games that a small but vocal minority always complain about not getting in the West. Regardless of whether the gameplay doesn't suit 95% of the western gaming population it's still going to get favourable reception because the people who review it and buy it will belong to that niche and know what to expect.

Oh and Veggita, I wasn't really talking about the graphics from a technical point of view. Just the stunning handpainted backdrops and characters.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

It's cool seeing a new console-based 2D action game of any sort (even if a fairly slow paced RPG type). However, while a lot of stuff is nice looking, I have to say the animation is pretty stiff. Not in the number of frames exactly, but in the way the animation is drawn - like everyone has a stick up their ass.

The gameplay also looks fairly dull and slow to me from videos as well. I'd like to give it a try anyway, at some point.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
popley
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by popley »

This is the first game that I havn't quit playing after an hour, I've been playing a lot of bad games lately. I enjoy the fighting system, I've never played a game like this one. The visuals are while done.
"It's only after we've lost everything, that we are truly free to do anything." Fight Club

http://www.geocities.com/nesterdcgamecodes
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I gave it another round. It isn't too bad of a game I suppose. Starting to understand the story now. I will probably go ahead and try to play through it since there is not much else I am looking forward to on my GameQ (this was the bottom of the barrel so to speak anyways). Difficulty wise it seems like its right there where I like it being not too hard but not too easy. I think it will tide me over for awhile.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

I haven't actually played it yet (only watched my brother play), but I already know what my main gripe is: load time. The "Now Loading" screen when moving to a new area disappears quickly, but then you have to sit around like an idiot for 5-10 seconds while the sprites load. The time itself isn't so terrible, but the PS2 drive really sounds like it's being tortured, too; I'm half-tempted to run it through ps2dis and try to figure out whether the files can be reordered to load sequentially.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
MapleBuster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MapleBuster »

OT but thought you may like to know. The same team have a game coming out for the DS. Same nice graphics, though more RTS than RPG. I doubt it will get a US release.
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

MapleBuster wrote:OT but thought you may like to know. The same team have a game coming out for the DS. Same nice graphics, though more RTS than RPG. I doubt it will get a US release.
Luminous Arc? That's getting a US release around August this year. Although strictly speaking, that's not created by Atlus.

Or are you talking about something else?
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Joestar wrote:Although strictly speaking, that's not created by Atlus.
Strictly speaking, Odin Sphere was not created by Atlus.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

whoops sorry, I was meant to say it was not developed by the same company (Vanilla Ware).
MapleBuster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MapleBuster »

It's called GrimGrimoire.

It's Nintendo publishing this time, not Atlus.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I will go ahead and mark this as a minor spoiler since it talks about a boss and a area you have to fight in later on. I really don't think it will give anything away for those worried about it though. WEll I guess it could be due to difficulty, but only because lag of programming and/or hardware constraints are in the way.

I think this is a pretty reasonable complaint. Maybe this is because I am playing it on a Ps3 instead of the actual Ps2, but I don't see why it would be? I have gotten pretty far into the game now I am stuck. Not because its too hard, not because I can't figure it out. I am stuck because the game bogs down so much on this particular boss fight that is is basically unplayable.

Basically I am at the Queen in the underworld and she spawns these undead fish non-stop. You have to use the draw command just to make them attackable and they only stay attackable for a short time. WEll there is so many on the screen at once that it bogs down to the point it freezes your movement for about 4 to 5 seconds at a time. While it takes forever to use the draw command and then attack, the timer in which the fish stay attackable seems unaffected by the lag making it basically unplayable as far as I am concerned. By the time the lag lets you attack they are no longer attackable. Putting all of that aside it is still unbearable trying to play a action game when its moving slower then slow-motion.

Maybe this disk is defective (I doubt it), or maybe it doesn't play well on the PS3?? If that is not the case they should be ashamed for releasing a game that bogs down this bad. The Ps2 might be out of date, but I would think it should be able to handle of game like Odin Sphere if it was programmed properly. If the PS2 is not capable there are much better systems they could have ported this game to. No sense in a commercial title being like this.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Perhaps it's just not running well on backwards compatibility of PS3. I'm sure PS2 owners can confirm that it doesn't get that bad in the fight you're talking of.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

The slowdown is on the PS2 as well. The jury is out on whether it is down to bad coding or the PS2 not being able to handle it. Probably a little from column A, a little from column B.

As for porting it to a different console, thats unlikely. Like I said it's a JRPG. Putting it on anything else other than PS2 in Japan is a definite no-no. And I seriously doubt Atlus USA would've been prepared to port it to anything for the American market. I'm not even sure tyey have the capabiliy to port stuff anyway?

Anyway, the slowdown is a very valid complaint, but you've just got to suck it up and play through it.