Playing Dreamcast VGA box on a HD widescreen TV

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
mxz600
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Playing Dreamcast VGA box on a HD widescreen TV

Post by mxz600 »

Has anybody done this sucessfully? I heard of problems with Other consoles on HD TV's with there lag time response from controller to Output on screen. But this is with Composite or RCA hookups. How does it look and play with VGA hookups? is the screen stretched to widescreen or blurry cus of the lower 640x480 res.

I want to hook up my DC when i eventually get one of these large TV's, Please share your experience with me along with the type and brand of TV u r using. thank.s
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

That is a good question. However, my friends hooked up their genesis to play Gunstar Heroes on their high def tv, and they said it looked and played great.
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Many people don't care about the aspect ratio on their TVs and watch everything in widescreen even if it's not supposed to be. Same for video games. There are a select few DC games (a list can be found by searching these forums) that support actual 16:9 output, other than those, you'll probably have to set your tv to "narrow" mode.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
mxz600
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by mxz600 »

thanks for your replies, but the real question is this, is there a lag between the controller and the output to the TV with the VGA setup like i have read about with the xbox 360 and PS2 when hooked up to these high def widescreen TVs. You see, these Tv's with there native resolution different than the output of the game machine, will need to do a lot of conversion and image manipulation to output it to its native resolution. which cause this lag effect. What I was wondering was if its using a VGA input to the high def TV, then there shouldn't be any processing involved, just force it through. I could be totally wrong here, thats why im asking does anybody have there Dreamcast hooked up to the TV with VGA inputs, thanks.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

With the DC as opposed to a PS2, you don't need a transcoder to get vga output, so compared to that at least, you'll get better resolution. The 360 though can output hdmi, which is a whole different beast from vga.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

Quzar wrote:With the DC as opposed to a PS2, you don't need a transcoder to get vga output, so compared to that at least, you'll get better resolution. The 360 though can output hdmi, which is a whole different beast from vga.
Although VGA doesn't use any of the DRM crap that HDMI does.
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

...360 can't output HDMI.
Very sexy hero, omg
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Oh god damn, I did that so many times cause people would come into compusa looking for one. Component or vga were the highest for it.

Sorry bout that. For the record though, the 360 is "supposed" to be able to output HDMI, MS just says that nobody wants it.
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

mxz600 wrote:thanks for your replies, but the real question is this, is there a lag between the controller and the output to the TV with the VGA setup like i have read about with the xbox 360 and PS2 when hooked up to these high def widescreen TVs. You see, these Tv's with there native resolution different than the output of the game machine, will need to do a lot of conversion and image manipulation to output it to its native resolution. which cause this lag effect. What I was wondering was if its using a VGA input to the high def TV, then there shouldn't be any processing involved, just force it through. I could be totally wrong here, thats why im asking does anybody have there Dreamcast hooked up to the TV with VGA inputs, thanks.
If your TV has a VGA input, that means it can display VGA images with no processing, so there should be no lag when playing VGA dreamcast games.

I personally don't understand why HDTVs have this lag. Line doublers and upscan converters have been around for ages and have never caused lag. I used an upscan converter for gaming for years with no problem, but for some reason the converters built into HDTVs can't seem to do it. It's pretty weak. Makes getting an HDTV a hell of a lot less tempting for someone like me who still loves his Master System, Colecovision, etc.

...word is bondage...
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

Yep, I play my Dreamcast on my Sony KDL-32V2000 through VGA. No lag at all, and incredibly good quality. By default, the TV correctly borders the sides of the 4:3 picture to avoid stretching it.

In fact, when I had an HDTV without a VGA input, I used to use a VGA to Component (480p) transcoder to play it. Despite the conversion, there was still no lag.