Where can I buy a replacement F1 Resistor?

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
robotecha5
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Where can I buy a replacement F1 Resistor?

Post by robotecha5 »

I have two Dreamcasts and the controllers stopped working in both of them on the same day!? seriosly what are the odds!? this is the first time i hve ever been truly dissapoited in the dreamcasts design, sigh. Anyway i found out i needed to replace the F1 resisitor. But does anyone now where i can actually buy one of these? and please dont say ebay.and i already tried Radioshack. THANKS
SEGA FOREVER
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

You can't get an exact replacement anywhere except scrounging.
ShadyTree
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by ShadyTree »

Hey view the topic about dreamcast controller lead won't work ! Its exactly the same problem regards
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

You can replace it with a normal 10 Ohm resistor. Some people say not to use a 10 Ohm resistor, but I used one and I know several other people that have used them and they work fine.
semicolo
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by semicolo »

yeah to some extend, but a fuse would do it better (I am from the people saying not to use a 10 ohms resistor :mrgreen: )
In fact it works, but did you test it with 4 pads with vmus/rumble packs Roofus ?
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

semicolo wrote:yeah to some extend, but a fuse would do it better (I am from the people saying not to use a 10 ohms resistor :mrgreen: )
In fact it works, but did you test it with 4 pads with vmus/rumble packs Roofus ?
Nope, but I don't have that many pads, VMUs and rumble packs. :P
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

The 10 ohm resistor works but when you connect lots of peripherals not all of them will power on or they won't be as responsive. I even have a weird problem with my DC Mouse where it only moves horizontally when playing UT and not vertically (it's really annoying).
semicolo
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by semicolo »

So if you only have few peripherals, it's ok to use a 10ohms resistor (in fact 1ohms 1/2W or 1W is probably a better choice).
Or else, use a fuse.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Or just buy another controller board.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
robotecha5
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by robotecha5 »

Tank you I thought i needed a 10ohms resisitor but.
WHERE CAN I BUY ONE????????
Thank you.
SEGA FOREVER
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Ironically, I think fatheapi might have some. PM him.
semicolo
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by semicolo »

I'd say 1A fast fuse will be ok.
Fatboy11
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Fatboy11 »

Thats because the original part was not a resistor. every time i see this i wonder why people use resistors as a replacement. the original part will have next to no resistance, and that would be why using a resistor will not supply enough power to power up all devces.
i am with semicolo on this , but i would prob use less than 1A becuase even with all devices plugged in and rumble packs it will prob use less than 1A (i am just speculating, i have never tested the drain).
anyway , thats my view that i have never expresed before
i feel better now :wink:

oh , and the FUSE .. you can buy anywhere. hell , use fuse wire if you have to :P
i'm still a Randite :worship:
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

Fatboy11 wrote:Thats because the original part was not a resistor. every time i see this i wonder why people use resistors as a replacement. the original part will have next to no resistance, and that would be why using a resistor will not supply enough power to power up all devces.
i am with semicolo on this , but i would prob use less than 1A becuase even with all devices plugged in and rumble packs it will prob use less than 1A (i am just speculating, i have never tested the drain).
anyway , thats my view that i have never expresed before
i feel better now :wink:

oh , and the FUSE .. you can buy anywhere. hell , use fuse wire if you have to :P
I did it because I found this on GameFAQS back in the day. I suspect that's where it started.
semicolo
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by semicolo »

I suggested 1A because an 1/4W 0,39ohms fusing resistor can handle 800mA continously and more for short periods.

So 800mA may be better, but I think that rumble packs can drain up to 250mA, so 4 controllers with vmu and rumble would probably blow it if used all at the same time.
nexin
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by nexin »

hello!
I used a resistor for the F1. I think it's 5Ohms or something but I have problems using many controller with vmus and rumble packs. I like the idea with the fuse but I don't know how to put it in. Maybe someone who uses a fuse for F1 could send me a picture or something! that would be very kind!
david
semicolo
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by semicolo »

I just ordered some 0,33ohms 1/3W fusing resistors to make some tests with these. They will blow in about a second if draining 4W, it means it can handle current peaks of about 3,5A for a second or more for shorter time, so I really don't know if a 1Amp fuse would be enough.

if you want to use a fuse, desolder f1 and solder two wires going to an 1Amp(if it blows try higher values) fast acting fuse.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

I just bridged the points where the resistor was.