Which do you prefer?....

This forum is where you can show off your art, such as emulator software skins, DVD and CD covers; or discuss other art-related topics.
SomberStrekking
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Which do you prefer?....

Post by SomberStrekking »

Hand making something on paper or would you rather make it on the computer using photoshop, illustrator, Flash etc.
BLAH
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Depends on the project I guess. But considering I have little to no fine art training, I'd rather use the computer.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Both. I've done tons of traditional stuff and tons of computer stuff. However, the computer stuff is usually more professional and the traditional is more for me.
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

by hand. I hate making artwork on a computer.

That might have to do with the fact that I don't have a tablet, but even so digital art-making doesn't come anywhere close to the quality you can get with physical media.
I'm a lone wolf looking for trouble.
SomberStrekking
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by SomberStrekking »

Ross L. wrote:
Godfearing greay wrote:by hand. I hate making artwork on a computer.

That might have to do with the fact that I don't have a tablet, but even so digital art-making doesn't come anywhere close to the quality you can get with physical media.
In today's society it pays to be skilled in both however. My dad was kind enough to get me a tablet and it really relieves stress on my wrist that you get with a mouse. It's really worth the $320ish that it costs (EBay is cheaper).
I agree you should try being able to take what you can do by hand on paper and make it on the computer, makes it much easier to show to people over the internet especially since the quality of your image will go way down by taking a picture of it a scan might make the quality pretty close but it's much nicer to be able to send a jpg to someone and say hey check this out.
BLAH
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

The computer is good for clean lines, or cleaning up a handmade piece. But you can't be messy on the computer, and that's one of the main reasons why I still prefer traditional media.

It does pay to be skilled in both -- and you should use the one that's appropriate for the task at hand. For me & for the sort of work I like to do, that's almost always traditional media.

Oh, another benefit of traditional media is that you can't get really big (or even reasonably big) on the computer without a specialty printer ;)
I'm a lone wolf looking for trouble.
HomerCIDAL
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by HomerCIDAL »

I like hand drawn art better. It takes some real talent to do some things by hand as opposed to using a computer. Besides that, there is just more soul in something made by hand where something made with a machine seems very cold and detached. Hard to describe...maybe some of you understand what I mean.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

i like both, for a time i loved only computer work, but having something tangible to hold and touch is so great. Mixed media is where it's at yo.