tools of the trade

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
wexler
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

tools of the trade

Post by wexler »

hi there. i have started modding for quake using qoole, texmex and qme but don't seem able to access the menu textures of quake. can someone tell me how to extract and open or convert these files? i'd like to make a whole tc so if someone can guide me through creating menu and startup textures i'd be greatful. also, where are the textures and models stored for items such as ammo and health packs? i'd appeciate help.
- cheers, wexler.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

the menu textures of quake. can someone tell me how to extract and open or convert these files?
They're located in the "gfx" directory inside of the .pak files. You can extract them using PakExplorer, and you can convert them to/from .pcx images using AdQuedit.
where are the textures and models stored for items such as ammo and health packs?
Ammo and health packs uses BSP models, located in the "maps" directory inside of the .pak files. You can replace their textures with AdQuedit or QuArK.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
wexler
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by wexler »

super cool, thanks for your help. i'm stuck again though. two problems. i've been using qoole for bsp creation but it doesn't seem to vis levels. how can i run vis, or can you reccomend an editor that would run it. i'd also like to know how to edit or replace the lmp files that adquedit wont open, like pop.lmp. again, help is appreciated. and thank you fragger for your help originally.
- cheers, wexler.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

pop.lmp is just actually text, pop stands for "Proof of Purchase" and it's the file Quake 1 looks for to see if it's registered (inside pop.lmp is a big ASCII Quake sign!).

.lmp files are once again used with AdQuedit.

I can't help you with Qoole, since I stopped using it ages ago (since Qoole sucks). I now map with WorldCraft 1.6a
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

I never tried Qoole, so I don't know how to configure it. I use QuArK, and it does run Vis, but many people seems to hate it. Worldcraft also runs Vis, and most people seems to like it.

There's a few .lmp files which aren't images. The file palette.lmp contains the palette, and the file colormap.lmp contains lighting stuff; if you have a custom palette, AdQuedit can generate a colormap for it when you double-click on the file palette.lmp. The file pop.lmp is the "proof-of-purchase" file, and is used by the engine to check if you have the registered version.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube