Selfbooting Smeg v0.84 with DSSBS Final

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Dr Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Selfbooting Smeg v0.84 with DSSBS Final

Post by Dr Zoidberg »

I've been getting a lot of e-mails asking how to selfboot Smeg with DSSBS Final, so here's the guide (possibly works with Auto Detect Selfbooter too):

Download DSSBS Final from the Needed Tools page. Unzip it. *If you're using WinXP/2000 you'll also need to download the choice.zip found on the Needed Tools page to get DSSBS Final working properly. Unzip it & put CHOICE.COM into the DSSBS Final folder.*

Download the Smeg v0.84 "plain files for selfbooting" zip from the Smeg homepage or from DC Emu's Smeg page.

Unzip the Smeg plain files & move the IP.BIN & the 1ST_READ.BIN into the "new" folder found in DSSBS Final.

Unzip your ROMS & put them in the "new" folder found in DSSBS Final.

Click on dssbs.bat & select 1 to make a Discjuggler image, 2 to make a Nero image, 3 to make a CDRWin image or 4 to make a Fireburner image.

Once the image is made, start up your burning program of choice & select burn image. Once it has finished burning you should have a selfbooting Smeg CD.
Last edited by Dr Zoidberg on Wed Feb 27, 2002 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

Post by Dr Zoidberg »

The choice.zip isn't on the needed tools page just yet but will be soon.

I think I'll have to give Smeg the "Easiest thing to selfboot ever" award, it's too simple! :wink:
Heliophobe_
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator

Post by Heliophobe_ »

I think the scrambled/unscrambled directories confuse people more than anything else. I think next time I'm going to offer them seperately.
Dr Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

Post by Dr Zoidberg »

Yeah, that was one the one thing that I thought might confuse some people when I typed it up. I could always just cut out the unscrambled folder & put the scrambled 1st_read.bin in with the ip.bin + the readme & get Sin-Tex to upload it to the site, that's if you have no problem with me doing that?
Dr Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

Post by Dr Zoidberg »

The choice file is now on the Needed Tools page, thanks for upping it Sin-Tex. :)
Heliophobe_
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator

Post by Heliophobe_ »

Dr Zoidberg wrote: Yeah, that was one the one thing that I thought might confuse some people when I typed it up. I could always just cut out the unscrambled folder & put the scrambled 1st_read.bin in with the ip.bin + the readme & get Sin-Tex to upload it to the site, that's if you have no problem with me doing that?
Yeah, no problem there... maybe call it 'plain files for selfbooting'
Dr Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

Post by Dr Zoidberg »

Thanks Heliiophobe, the guide has been updated.