divx help...

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
hellish_raver
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

divx help...

Post by hellish_raver »

i was reading some other post from people about the divx player on the dc and getting a green screen and only sound...same thing happened with me....im using the latest version of divx and virtualdub...i used all the files off of dcemulation.org... ive tried twice now to turn a .mpg little video clip into an .avi using virtualDub and the codecs and the system file off of dcemulation.org.... i got the divx to run on my dc and i made a cd with the .avi movie i made on it...i get a green screen but full sound...then i tried playing the file on my computer...windows media player gives me a "cannot allocate memory because no size has been set " error...and VirtualDub plays it but i only get a black screen with sound...when i go to file> file info... everything looks right except under key frame size and delta frame size it has 0/0/0(0k)... that doesnt seem right... and i dont know what im doing wrong... im using the settings file ... so how can i be messing up? if anyone has any ideas please reply to this... thanks
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Let me guess... you're using divx 4.12 in 2-pass mode, using first pass, then not running the second pass? When you use this mode, you will always get this secenario. You have to run it through in first pass mode, just use no audio, then run a second pass with same video settings and do the audio compression then.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
hellish_raver
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by hellish_raver »

thanks it took me a minute to figure it out but i believe i got it to work..thank u very much
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

I wish this would get stickied, people don't realise 2 pass divx is just that, two completely separate compression sessions. Twice as long but better compression and quality, only way to do divx right.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

fatheadpi wrote: I wish this would get stickied, people don't realise 2 pass divx is just that, two completely separate compression sessions. Twice as long but better compression and quality, only way to do divx right.
uh... couldn't be bothered to do it yourself mr homebrew apps mod? :wink:

Its not really necessary to make a new sticky if this gets covered in the already stickied thread... so I'll add a section about 2 pass encoding...

and it means people with short attention spans wont get bored reading stickies and miss the answers to their questions *cough* dreamsnes forum *cough* 8)
The Biz
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by The Biz »

fatheadpi wrote: Let me guess... you're using divx 4.12 in 2-pass mode, using first pass, then not running the second pass? When you use this mode, you will always get this secenario. You have to run it through in first pass mode, just use no audio, then run a second pass with same video settings and do the audio compression then.
Can you explain more about how you run it through in 2 passes. I don't know what you mean by this or what to do exactly.
Woox
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

The Biz..

Post by Woox »

Check this post out, it may help you.

http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5304
The Biz
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by The Biz »

Oh, thanks Woox, I was allready following that. I wasn't sure about overwriting the first file, it just didn't seem right, but i guess from your post that thats ok.
The Biz
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by The Biz »

I got it to work by using no audiio in the frist pass. :D

Question: when i did the conversion, my file jumped from 72 mb to 126 mb, is there a way to keep the file relatively the same size? The thing i noticed is that the data rate changed from 57 to 99 kb/second. And the sound went from stereo to mono. Everything else is the same. I figure there should be a way to keep it smaller than that. I mean the two DivX fomats should be able to compress just about the same amount right? I have a lot of stuff I want to convert, and I want to save some space.
Woox
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Woox »

Just lower the Output Video Bitstream, it's in the DivX Configuration Menu. You can also increase the audio compression.
pilot
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by pilot »

easier way to solve the 2-pass prob: make the settings file set to single-pass:)