Woah! 0.0 Help? Please?

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
frozendevil
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Woah! 0.0 Help? Please?

Post by frozendevil »

I just downloaded and setup everything to compile KOS (with help from getYourOwnCheese). everything seemed to be going ok, there were a few things that I had to fix but overall it looked good. I typed in "make" and waited. Suddently my screen was filled with things like this

Code: Select all

/usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/ppc/as: I don't understand 'e' flag!
assert.c:2:Unknown pseudo-op: .little
assert.c:3:Missing string
assert.c:3:Rest of line ignored. 1st junk character valued 49 (1).
assert.c:4:Expected comma after segment-name
assert.c:4:Rest of line ignored. 1st junk character valued 46 (.).
assert.c:5:Expected comma after segment-name
assert.c:5:Rest of line ignored. 1st junk character valued 46 (.).
assert.c:6:Expected comma after segment-name
assert.c:6:Rest of line ignored. 1st junk character valued 46 (.).
assert.c:7:Expected comma after segment-name
that's not even a fraction of what showed up.

I was wondering if anyone could help; or even just tell me what's going on?

Thanks

IM me if you want to see the whole error list.
KeithIrwin
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by KeithIrwin »

What's happening, clearly is that the wrong assembler is being called. You'll notice that the program generating the errors is /usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/ppc/as. So, the Darwin/PowerPC assembler is being called. This shouldn't happen because you shouldn't be assembling code for your computer (which has a PowerPC processor), you should be assembling code for the Dreamcast (which has an SH-4 processor). Assuming that you have the Dreamcast (SH-4) version of binutils built and installed already, you need to tweak your settings to make sure that that is the one which is getting used. I'm not sure what needs to be changed in particular off the top of my head, but perhaps you can find it or maybe someone else knows.

Keith
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

You need to edit the environ.sh script to reflect yr setup, then run it before running make. It's pretty straightforward, but these two lines in particular seem to be causing yr problem:

export KOS_CC_BASE="/usr/local/dc/dc-elf"
export KOS_CC_PREFIX="dc"
Which KOS are you using? 1.2 or one using subversion? Go w/the subversion one, it fixes a whole bunch of problems.
frozendevil
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by frozendevil »

those two lines for me are

export KOS_CC_BASE="/usr/local/dcdev"
export KOS_CC_PREFIX="sh-elf"

I know the path is right; and I assume that the prefix is correct, because everything in there has sh-elf in the filename.

I am using 1.2.1, I guess I'll go try the subversion one.

thanks for the help :D

Edit:

I downloaded and setup eveything for KOS 1.3.x and I'm getting the same errors :cry:
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

This -
export KOS_AS="${KOS_CC_BASE}/bin/${KOS_CC_PREFIX}-as"
i.e. "/usr/local/dcdev/bin/sh-elf-as" is what should be being called, not "/usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/ppc/as"... Hmmm...

Oh!! <slaps forehead> of course! I think I know what must be happening. When you run the environ.sh script, are you just running it? i.e.,

./environ.sh

or an equiv? You need to type "source environ.sh" instead, otherwise the variables don't stick. Hopefully that's what's going on.
I'm a lone wolf looking for trouble.
frozendevil
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by frozendevil »

Unfortunately, no. I source it then type "make" and let it do it's magic.
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

Hrm... I'm not having many ideas. Try echoing the vars, just to make sure they're set right?

i.e., echo $KOS and then hit tab, which should auto-complete & show you a list of all KOS's environment vars... Still pretty sure KOS_CC_BASE and KOS_CC_PREFIX aren't getting set, according to the error msg shown. Make sure they show up as "/usr/local/dcdev" and "sh-elf".

Hrm.. If those are set correctly, I'm not sure what could be happening. Anything else you did, any other information displayed by make you think might be useful? Like where in the process you first get the errors? Try running it with --print-directory & re-posting the errors.

Wish I knew more. I had lots of throuble getting this set up, but this is exactly where my problem wasn't. KOS (the Subversion one) actually compiled w/absolutely no problems.
I'm a lone wolf looking for trouble.