what am i doing wrong

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
Maximo2703
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

what am i doing wrong

Post by Maximo2703 »

alright i got Pinnoy's Quake selfboot kit i read the instructions he had in his readme i was gonna use ian's RADquake to play the mods but i wasnt sure how to use it and pinnoy had quakedc in his readme so i went with that. i downloaded Quake DC then i got my mod of choice (which i grabbed Target Quake) i put target quake's pak0 file into the id1 folder in my quake dc directory then moved it all of the quake dc files and folders into pinnoy's quake dc directory then opened up his quake dc sb program and told it to make a CDI image it created the image successfully. i changed the name of the image to target quake and proceed to open up my Alochol 120 and burned the image. i went up to play it on my DC and everything seemed fine then it just hung on the SEGA screen i didnt hear much activity at all coming from the dc it sounded like it did a little reading of the disc but nothing else. Now the target quake also came with a file called Progs.dat should i have included that file somewhere? can someone tell me what i did wrong.... another damn cdr wasted on some more trail n' error with this stuff damn it.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Quakedc does not load that many mods sorry.. it's pretty hard to burn some times since it's made with the offcial kit.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Post by Moi »

Check this site:
http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/tutorials

You need the Utopia Bootdisc for using this method.
Create your own Dreamcast games using the Quake-Engine:
http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/develop/getstarted.htm
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

Lets see...
i put target quake's pak0 file into the id1 folder in my quake dc directory
I think that is your first problem. You made no mention of including the original quake pak files. The original Paks are Pak0.pak and Pak1.pak from your original quake installation. You need those PLUS the pak files for the mod.

You would rename the pak0.pak from TargetQuake to Pak2.pak and the pak1.pak from TargetQuake to Pak3.pak and then drop those into the id1 directory with the original pak0.pak and pak1.pak.
Now the target quake also came with a file called Progs.dat should i have included that file somewhere?
yes.
You need a program like PakExplorer to open and edit pak files. In this case you would need to open the pak1.pak from TargetQuake and drop it into the root of the pak. (not in the maps, progs, or sound directorys) If there is already a progs.dat there then you'll need to overwrite it.

Everything else seems ok I think... (been a long time since I selfbooted QuakeDC)
BTW.. Pinoy's selfboot kit was made for QuakeDC so it probibly will not work with RADQuake.
My old Sig was broken. Enter the new Sig!
Maximo2703
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Maximo2703 »

well i got the pakexplorer just wasnt sure what role in played it in this whole thing. and target quake only came with 2 files pak0 and progs.dat nothing else. i dont have the orginal quake software so i just downloaded what was on quake dev site thru dcemulation which i believe is moi's rerelease of it. man this is all quite confusing and somewhat of a pain to do i think ill wait till theres an easier way or something. but i take it i hafta have the orginal game in order to get the mod to even play. blah i feel like such a damn idiot
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Post by Moi »

Maximo: I guess you are mixing BOR mods and Quake mods.

BOR mods ARE standalone games, which means they dont requiere any original BOR files.

Quake mods are only additions to the regular Q1 game so you need the full version of the PC game to use mods on the Dreamcast/PC.
There are also Total conversions (TC) which have all Q1 files replaced so they are standalone game
Maximo2703
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Maximo2703 »

well i guess im screwed for doing those mods cause i dont have the orginal game for PC.. so im guessing the only mods i could even possibly play are the TC's

EDIT:now you say the TC's dont require the orginal Quake files and Target Quake according to Ian's list is a TC. so what did i miss was it just because i didnt include that data.prog file or which ever in there. now do i need to extract data.prog in the pakexplorer? if target quake is a TC then what am i missing if i dont need the orginal Quake for a TC
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

well... the term 'TC' causes a lot of confusion.

Over the years 'TC' has been used to discribe mods that radically change the way a game is played (like TargetQuake, QuakeRally, or Codename:Corporal) The problem is that of the three examples... only one can be played without the original Quake files. (Codename:Corporal) The others do still require files from the original Quake .PAKs

Also... the gameplay can be near identical to Quake and still be a 'true' TC. One good recent example would be Twisted XMas. Which was recently converted to a TC by Moi.

Basicly the differance between a 'TC' and a 'True TC' is if the mod requires ANY files from the original paks then it is not a True TC.

Twisted xmas and codename corporal should both be avalible on the console quake site (in my sig)
Maximo2703
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Maximo2703 »

so is Twisted and Codename the only ones that dont require the orginal quake files?
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Well there are others but it's not that hard to make them a tc you have to find out all the files it needs and replace them with freeware ones since radquake does not check if the paks are rego or not it should work as easly as that.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Maximo2703
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Maximo2703 »

but if i downloaded Twisted and Codename then i can get them to work without the orginal Quake with Pinnoy's program..... Also i have RADQuake too so does that help matters at all.. this is driving me nuts as soon as i start thinking i got something figured out i get all confused again
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

To make things a little easier...

There is an .sbi of Twisted Xmas (if your familiar with Selfboot Inducer) that has EVERYTHING you need to get Twisted Xmas working.
You can get it here
http://www.edgefiles.com/files/11161.html

Codename:Corporal comes with almost everything you need. I'd still recommend QuakeDC (actually Moi's rerelease) for it... Instructions are included in the zip. RADQuake does work just fine now though. (instructions for RADQuake are not in the readme)
Here is a direct link to download Codename: Corporal
http://www.edgefiles.com/files/5125.html
Maximo2703
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Maximo2703 »

yeah im very fimilar with self boot inducer. i have moi's rerelease of quake ill hafta try them both out
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Post by Moi »

Yes it's worth to mention that Codename is optimized for QuakeDC and Twisted Xmas is optimized for RadQuake (and won't run under QuakeDC btw).

But as TDA already said: in the SBI of Twisted Xmas is everything you need to run it. It's the easiest way to test the Q1 engine on DC :) .
Just download and burn and it'll run, no worrying abour configuring, binds or original quake fles.

For Codename just use a non selfbootable multisession cdr. It's always easier to use (actually the way I prefer ) and lets you save a lot of cdr because you can burn a new sessions and add new/other mods to your cdr.
Here are the burning tutorials: http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/tutorials
Maximo2703
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Maximo2703 »

well as soon as i get some more cdrs ill hafta check out those 2.. are there any others that dont need the orginal Quake files considering i dont have the orginal game just your rerelease and ian's RADquake
ajay()
Raptors Creator
Raptors Creator

Post by ajay() »

You'd really save yourself a lot of bother if you just bought Quake:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... gory=62053
Maximo2703
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Maximo2703 »

yeah i would but then again i would save myself a lot of money if i had the money to LOL
Maximo2703
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Maximo2703 »

well guys im downloading Twisted Xmas now.. i hope it works i just got brand new cdrs today. :mrgreen:
ajay()
Raptors Creator
Raptors Creator

Post by ajay() »

My point is that it's cheap as piss now and as we're all benefiting from id's work, TC or no TC, we should have the decency to buy the game. Ebay Quake games go for about $5, less than some cdrs cost.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Yeah correct Ive owned it since it came out cant believe now one does not have it.. If your a tight ass you can get the sharware version.
Dreamcast forever!!!