Some Creamy Gypplay Goodness

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.

What DC movie creation guide would you be more interested in: DVCD (MPEG-1) or DCDIVX?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 09, 2002 5:10 pm

Total votes: 0
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Some Creamy Gypplay Goodness

Post by fatheadpi »

PLEASE GIVE ME SOME FEEDBACK AS TO WHAT YOU'D REALLY LIKE TO SEE IN A CREATION GUIDE, DON'T JUST VOTE AND MOVE ON.

Bouncer axed me a question on the boards, so I'll dump the answers and some notes in here.

Reccommended setup for playing movies in GYPPLAY:

First, I highly reccomend you get yourself a good vga box. I was watching the first half of cheech and chong: nice dreams today on my dc, and decided to pull out my vga box. Good call. At some points, it was almost dvd quality.

DVCD (MPEG-1)settings for GYPPLAY:
352x240 Resolution, NO MORE unless your maybe using a PAL setup
29.976 fps for NTSC Broadcast recordings
23.976 FPS for dvd movies (be sure to adjust frame rate in your dvd frameserving program)
25 FPS for PAL Broadcast Recordings
1150 BPS CBR
Note that you should really NOT use VBR to boost performance. To cut file size, set up the stream as an IBBPBBP movie (see note at bottom)
VGA Perspective (1:1)
Mpeg 1 Layer 2 Audio Stream @ 160 BPS

I think I'll just post the tmpeg settings file when I start work again on the divx creation guide for the dc I'm planning to put out, I've lost interest putting private time into this project but I have a school class or two that allows me to waste an hour and a half each day doing this, so progress should be good.
About IBBPBBP settings:
When I capture movies, I use an All In Wonder Radeon. It has the option of I frames only or adding B and P frames. Set those values to 4 and 2, that's the highest I can make them go, and it really cuts the file size, allowing you to get a lot better quality at a watchable bitrate.

If there is still enough interest in GYPPLAY exploration, I'll run another test disc, this time implementing some ligos 3.x, 4.x, and 5.x avi/asf tests and maybe finally run that Divx test I've been thinking aboot. If we could get gyplay to play asf's with ligos support, it might live on as more than an aging mpeg-1 player that we all owe gypsy bigtime for making.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
DeGamer1
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DeGamer1 »

I voted for DVCD because I just started using it and I love it. I never bothered using it before because I did not have many movies on my computer.

I find some videos look great with the settings you suggest, but for some reason there are some that look great on my computer but look a little blurry on the DC and vice versa. One of the video files that I has a resolution of 640x480 and it looks excellent the computer, but looks bad on the DC. And another video that I has a resolution of 320x240 and it looks bad on the computer but excellent on the DC.

I tried using different settings for the larger video to look good on the DC but have had no luck. I was thinking what if I leave it at that large resolution? Do you think that would help?
Oh, no. NO! You can't do this to me. Don't give me a playstation. NOOOOOOOOOO! I don't want a piece of crap. Take it back and burn it to heeelll!!! Die Sony Computer Entertainment with you PS (Piece of Sh?t) and your PS 2 (Piece of Sh?t?2)
Keitaro
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Keitaro »

I'm forced to vote for the DIVX project because MPEGs simply take TOO long to encode! I want to burn some Love Hina AVI's but I have to do the whole PCM decompression, which isn't too long. Then I have to encode the MPEG, which takes about 1:10 hours to decode sound, then over 5 HOURS to encode the video!!! And I can't even load files into TMPGenc because nothing works with it. It says that it isn't supported but it says that with everything so I'll just assume that my computer is too crappy to run it.
I also have problems with SSB because it can't find something for GYPPLAY to make a selfboot and I can't install anything on my computer because my stepdad is a jackass and everything that I DO manage to install I have to delete!

But anyways... I'll stop bitching now and try out that DIVX media player and see how it's going so far. They've got SO much done in such a little time! I can't wait for support for sound, etc!! :)
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Wow someone's getting some use out of my work. For the files, you really need to downsize the files to 320x240 to watch on the DC. Allow me to explain:

The file at 640x480 will look better on your pc because your pc is running at a resolution not too much higher than that. Problem is, at that resolution, GYPLAY will start to stall, and if you were using an 1150 bitrate for that file, it's gonna look like crap because at 640x480, you need a bitrate of at least 3000 kbps, which will also stall gyplay.

The 320x240 file will have the vice versa effect. It can look right at 320x240 @ 1150, but when blown up to be big enoough to watch on a computer, it will get really fuzzy. I know exactly what you're talking about there. Watching some vcd rips of dv cam bootlegs? When in full screen on a pc, they will look really fuzzy, like blurry faces.

If you wanna watch the 320's on your pc, I'd suggest dropping your screen resolution down to 640x480, as this will sometimes make them a bit clearer. Otherwise, watch them on your dc. Hope you have a VGA box.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Hey Keitaro, try getting the newest version of tmpeg, and I'll talk you through how to speed up your re-coding of mpegs. To save time on the audio, select your .avi file as the audio source. Leave the video source empty. This almost never fails. Mkae sure you are set to audio only mode, non system. Set your mpeg audio to my settings, and it should reencode pretty damned fast.

For the video, there's not a whole lot you can do to speed that up. Make sure you have the current version of tmpeg, email me @ fatheadisp@hotmail.com if you have any more problems. Do you know how to hide files? I can talk you through that pretty quick, but not now, and dunno how savvy your stepdad is but I may be able to help you with that.

I use self boot buddy 3.2 to make all my gyplay self boots. Get the ini toolkit, you have to use the supplied ip.bin, not the one that comes in the download package from this site.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Alright did one more GYPLAY test disc, here's what I got without any thorough anayzation:

ASF and Divx: FAILED, OFFICIALLY ABORTED
TOP BITRATE ACHIEVED: ~1250 - 1300 bps

Also some experiments with IBP stuff, let you know more when i get to it.
TheBouncer
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by TheBouncer »

Well, I just had to vote for DivX because I can have more pr0n on 1 single CD, hehe. Seriously, I only really use GypPlay to watch music videos, so I can perhaps triple the amount of videos on each disc with Div-X.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

My PC is down and out right now so using my mom's puter. My dreamcast now filles in for music videos and the movies where "everybodiy's hugging". Who says dreamcasts aren't versatile?
DeGamer1
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DeGamer1 »

Keitaro wrote: Then I have to encode the MPEG, which takes about 1:10 hours to decode sound, then over 5 HOURS to encode the video!!!
5 Hours????? I had Ninja Scroll done in 2 hours and that a 950MB video!!!
Also you might want to get a lastest version of TMPGEnc because I used to have the same problem as you. Most videos should not take that long to encode, not even Love Hina, unless you meant 5 hours for all the Love Hinas.
Keitaro wrote: I also have problems with SSB because it can't find something for GYPPLAY to make a selfboot
I also can't use SBB on my computer (it refuses to work, yet I try on my neighbors computer, do the exact same thing and it works fine. Go figure)
Get Dcfactory or Suses Selfboot Toolkit, which you can get here. Ignore the part that says Dream Amp.exe, it should really be Gyp Play.exe. And yes it still works even though it says Dreamamp so have faith in me :)
Keitaro wrote: I can't install anything on my computer because my stepdad is a jackass and everything that I DO manage to install I have to delete!
That could be for one or more of the following reasons:

1-Maybe he knows he is running out of hard disk space
2-He thinks you don't know what the hell you are doing on the computer
3-He thinks you will damage or erase something important.
4-He has files which are only menat for him if you catch my drift.

BTW, fatheadpi your efforst have not gone wasted. I am sure other people here aprreciate it, they just aren't saying anything.
Oh, no. NO! You can't do this to me. Don't give me a playstation. NOOOOOOOOOO! I don't want a piece of crap. Take it back and burn it to heeelll!!! Die Sony Computer Entertainment with you PS (Piece of Sh?t) and your PS 2 (Piece of Sh?t?2)
DeGamer1
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DeGamer1 »

fatheadpi wrote: My dreamcast now filles in for music videos and the movies where "everybodiy's hugging". Who says dreamcasts aren't versatile?
Yeah I know what you mean. Lately my DC has been used for movies and not games. I can't wait to get all the Zelda episodes on VDC. :D

Anyway, is the latest version of TMPGEnc 2.02.31.119? That is the one I have and it works great. Except some movies I have in MOV format I can't convert them to MPEG, not even with Smart Vid or EO Video.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Actually there's a new version, 2.5 Go to
http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downl ... pgenc.html
for the new version, and in list of goodies there's a .mov reader for tmpeg, hope that helps you guys still using quicktime.

Gotta look, but either tomorrow or wednesday I officially start the creation guide. Day one will be a detailed guide telling the user how to get the program set up. Probably just get everything set up and pre extraced, if authors wanna bitch at me, I'll pull their software and put in a link.

See ya real soon,

Fathead P.I.
Ralphis
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Ralphis »

I think divx is a better choice because most videos nowadays come in divx format, plus its got great quality at lower sizes. Converting avi to mpeg takes forever anyway
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Jeez guys 10 votes? Gimme a little more to go on here.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Oh and by the way, I could really use some DVCD or DCDIVX logos, anybody tosses somethin together I'd appreciate it. Got all the files I need uploaded, first step is going to be to get all the files in a manner so you can unzip them all into one folder and they'll be set up, also including the m2v and quicktime patches for tmpeg and the vfapi plugin.
Keitaro
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Keitaro »

DeGamer wrote:
Keitaro wrote: Then I have to encode the MPEG, which takes about 1:10 hours to decode sound, then over 5 HOURS to encode the video!!!
5 Hours????? I had Ninja Scroll done in 2 hours and that a 950MB video!!!
Also you might want to get a lastest version of TMPGEnc because I used to have the same problem as you. Most videos should not take that long to encode, not even Love Hina, unless you meant 5 hours for all the Love Hinas.
Keitaro wrote: I also have problems with SSB because it can't find something for GYPPLAY to make a selfboot
I also can't use SBB on my computer (it refuses to work, yet I try on my neighbors computer, do the exact same thing and it works fine. Go figure)
Get Dcfactory or Suses Selfboot Toolkit, which you can get here. Ignore the part that says Dream Amp.exe, it should really be Gyp Play.exe. And yes it still works even though it says Dreamamp so have faith in me :)
Keitaro wrote: I can't install anything on my computer because my stepdad is a jackass and everything that I DO manage to install I have to delete!
That could be for one or more of the following reasons:

1-Maybe he knows he is running out of hard disk space
2-He thinks you don't know what the hell you are doing on the computer
3-He thinks you will damage or erase something important.
4-He has files which are only menat for him if you catch my drift.

BTW, fatheadpi your efforst have not gone wasted. I am sure other people here aprreciate it, they just aren't saying anything.
I forget what program that I was using but I was taking 5 hours for the sound. I know, sad. But in TMPGenc it takes 2 hours for the sound(Uncompressed CMP) and video. My computer is pretty slow but it's not THAT bad for encoding the videos.

As for the Selfboot programs. It's Suse's Selfboot program that isn't working with GYPPLAY. It works with everything else that I've tried(And I love it! Thanks Suse!!!) but just not with GYPPLAY. A DOS window pops up and says Cannot find file 2 or 3 times. =/

As for the thing with my stepdad... He thought that I was pretty computer illiterate until I started showing him what I've been doing(Gameboy Dev, professional web page, etc) and then I started telling him how everything works so he started to come around. Then my computer crashed. We had some weird ass virus too. Then, we managed to get our computer to the point where it would boot up in safe mode but then we'd get the blue screen of death. Soooooooooooo. I used th MS DOS editor to access his diable II save files and copy them. Then there was a file that was too big so I split it and copied it to some discs and uploaded it to an old computer that we had in teh basement.
Now he doesn't want me to install things because it will slow our computer down and he can't enjoy his crappy Diablo II as he would like to enjoy it. Ohh well, I can still install things and delete them after I use them.
DeGamer1
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DeGamer1 »

Keitaro wrote: As for the Selfboot programs. It's Suse's Selfboot program that isn't working with GYPPLAY. It works with everything else that I've tried(And I love it! Thanks Suse!!!) but just not with GYPPLAY. A DOS window pops up and says Cannot find file 2 or 3 times. =/
You might be missing files. Check that you have the following for Gyp Play:

Wince folder (containing 8 files)
GypPlay.exe
1st_Read.Bin
IP.Bin
0GDTEX.pvr
Movies folder (with your movies of course, althogh you can place them in any directory you wish)
Keitaro wrote: Then my computer crashed. We had some weird ass virus too. Then, we managed to get our computer to the point where it would boot up in safe mode but then we'd get the blue screen of death.
I love that screen :lol: J/K
DeGamer1
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DeGamer1 »

fatheadpi wrote: Actually there's a new version, 2.5 Go to
http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downl ... pgenc.html
for the new version, and in list of goodies there's a .mov reader for tmpeg, hope that helps you guys still using quicktime.
Thanks for the link :)
I have a question though. Around 86% while a mov was being encoded, I received an error message saying "Illegal floating decimal point calculation order". What caused that? It happens to all my mov movies. :(

By pure coincidence, all my MOV movies are from IGN.com, one of them being the cancelled Castlevania Ressurection for Dreamcast along with a few other cancelled DC games. I swear, it was as if I was not meant to view those videos on the DC. :x
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Try a different format for the mpeg output file, or maybe a different idct. Especially if you used tmpeg to set the ibbp structure. Reset that to defualt, and see if they go thorugh.

Maybe you should disable some of the cpu optimizations. (Options --> environmental settings --> cpu), might help a bit but will probably slow some things down.
Keitaro
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Keitaro »

Yea, I downloaded that selfboot IP.bin file and it compiled! Now all I have to do is find some more episodes, encode them, and have fun watching them. I tested GYPPLAY out using Fatheadpi's settings and they're great!!! I watched Nadia Secret of Blue Water without sub titles cause Sub Station Alpla is crap. lol :P
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Well glad to know more people are getting use out of my stuff, and always good to know it works good.

Keitaro, were you rencoding from mov files? Cus DeGamer is having some encoding troubles and I was gonna see if you was doin somethin different that maybe allowed you to do it.