Dreamspec and DC_64 illegal why its ok to break the law!

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
IMRtech
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dreamspec and DC_64 illegal why its ok to break the law!

Post by IMRtech »

Hex editing of peoples releases is pretty off . It was made in that way so you could not do what your doing im sure any futher releases will be protected even
better.I wonder what other developers would think if thier creations were hex edited and publicly distributed. I half way wonder if this means the end of the ARCADE releases. You should have asked permission before doing this. You haven't "fixed" anything, you've infact Hacked his work.

IMR
Last edited by IMRtech on Thu May 01, 2003 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
polochon
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by polochon »

IMRtech wrote:Hex editing of peoples releases is pretty off . It was made in that way so you could not do what your doing im sure any futher releases will be protected even
better.I wonder what other developers would think if thier creations were hex edited and publicly distributed. I half way wonder if this means the end of the ARCADE releases. You should have asked permission before doing this. You haven't "fixed" anything, you've infact Hacked his work.

IMR
Hum it's a bit strong ... IMO ..
Le site sur l'?mulation dreamcast en fran?ais c'est http://www.dcreload.fr.st

oggy aka polochon ;)
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

IMRtech wrote:Hex editing of peoples releases is pretty off . It was made in that way so you could not do what your doing im sure any futher releases will be protected even better. You should have asked permission before doing this. You haven't "fixed" anything, you've infact Hacked his work
As far as I understand MAME is under the gpl lisccenseand reapers releases are all hacks of the MAME source so they are also gpl so I should be able to edit them as I see fit.
I wonder what other developers would think if thier creations were hex edited and publicly distributed
None have complained yet.. DreamSNES, Nester, gnuboy, Frnes and more have been hex'ed and distributed. BlackAura actually encouraged editing his last release ;)
I half way wonder if this means the end of the ARCADE releases.
I wonder if this means the end of me making Sbi files.. j/k
IMRtech
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by IMRtech »

Katana VS gpl you host dc_64 and dreamspec both illegal katana emulator's made with a illegal real sega dev kit plus the fact that your not just promoting a warez illegal emulator's but you know it. And seem to be happy knowing you site is infact breaking the law the katana kit is not just owned by sega but a host of other code that even sega need's to pay a licence for its not just sega that you are stealing from but major companies like hitachi among other's
you have not a leg to stand on plus the fact bero's vcd player has no source and
is GPL code

you should not throw stones in a glass house

infact if there's any major law breaker you should stare viciously in the mirror
clean up you act first before going down this path

IMR
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

Katana VS gpl you host dc_64 and dreamspec both illegal katana emulator's made with a illegal real sega dev kit plus the fact that your not just promoting a warez illegal emulator's but you know it. And seem to be happy knowing you site is infact breaking the law the katana kit is not just owned by sega but a host of other code that even sega need's to pay a licence for its not just sega that you are stealing from but major companies like hitachi among other's
Yes we do host a few Katana (and wince) binaries.. If Sega, MS, hitachi etc asked us to take them down we would. but they haven't.
the fact bero's vcd player has no source and is GPL code
Correct.. But what does that have to do with hex editing a release? Nothing.

Would you please state why you think it is wrong for me to hex his releases so they can fit on the same CD?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

ZacMc wrote:
I wonder what other developers would think if thier creations were hex edited and publicly distributed
None have complained yet.. DreamSNES, Nester, gnuboy, Frnes and more have been hex'ed and distributed. BlackAura actually encouraged editing his last release ;)
Yes, I seem to recall writing that. Admittedly, it was only because I hadn't writen a level selector yet.

I hex-edited crt0's Doom port to make a stand-alone version of Chex Quest before I wrote nxDoom, and someone else use a hacked nxDoom to power that Smurfs thing. I don't really mind, since the majority of the code isn't even mine, and if the original authors want people to modify their work, I see no reason to go against that.

And a lot of the emulators have been hacked slightly to make them coexist on one disc for use with DreamInducer, and I don't think anyone's ever complained about it.
burnerO
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by burnerO »

Changing a rom directory is hardly disrepectful to an author. : \
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Exactly. Ripping off the whole program and re-releasing it without credit, or calling it your own work, is disrespectful to the author, but changing the file layout so that it fits on your disc better? No.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

And not to mention that several Arcade games shared the same hardware. So technically anything that ran on the same board as the TMNT game should be able to run as well
And the MAME license is actually more restrictive than the GPL. Not that reaper has ever complied with it to begin with, but I digress.
Hell they even added directory browsing to NesterDC simply because people were hex editing the binaries for different directories. Seeing this as a flaw in the program itself, they made it so that you could browse directories.
No signature.
IMRtech
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by IMRtech »

ZacMc wrote:
Yes we do host a few Katana (and wince) binaries.. If Sega, MS, hitachi etc asked us to take them down we would. but they haven't.

the fact bero's vcd player has no source and is GPL code
Correct.. But what does that have to do with hex editing a release? Nothing.

Would you please state why you think it is wrong for me to hex his releases so they can fit on the same CD?
Really dont forget what you typed in public and addmitted .You host illegal emulators a illegal site telling reaper to do this or that counts not much.
Thats fully admits to hosting warez has no legal premise.To toastman read what you admin's words they host illegal made katana warez then rethink you mind they dont follow any law what so ever. GPL VS ILLEGAL KATANA WAREZ ? i know which one is worst DO you.Plus the fact bero has done the same lost source code or not.

Grow up toastman get over you jealousy and constant vendetta towards a great dc scene coder that a lot of people support and injoy his shown proving coding talent .I was under the impression you were hacking it to do other things ive talked to reaper and he says its ok on ahlpa software
TO black aura coding in Katana not geting permission and break copyright licences is a CRIME lets not back away from that really and any legal site should not host such made emulators and app's .
IMR
Last edited by IMRtech on Thu May 01, 2003 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

Really dont forget what you typed in public and addmitted .You host illegal emulators a illegal site telling reaper to do this or that counts not much.
Thats fully admits to hosting warez has no legal premise.To toastman read what you admin's words they host illegal made katana warez then rethink you mind they dont follow any law what so ever. GPL VS ILLEGAL KATANA WAREZ ? i know which one is worst DO you.plus the fact bero has done the same lost source code or not.
What does this have to do with me hex editing reapers Bubble Bobble binary?
IMRtech
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by IMRtech »

a lot if you put up a GPL arguement

IMR
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

IMRtech wrote:a lot if you put up a GPL arguement
DCemu could host every warez DC game and it wouldn't make the gpl void..
ive talked to reaper and he says its ok on ahlpa software
I've also talked to him and he said I could "go ahead hack his work for some silly save a cd fetish" .. Maybe you should check with him before posting next time ;)

I was just trying to help people burn reapers releases by making Sbi files.. and for this you attack me and dcemu? I think burnerO said it before when he made the mamed sbis "no good deed goes unpunished on the dcemu message boards"
IMRtech
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by IMRtech »

OK Then illegal is still illegal also and you admit to being a law breaker why i dont know. Why do you want to host illegal emulators ? ok this is better not on here so
if you want to keep talking about it i think pm is better. A lot of people dont know dreamspec and DC_64 are illegal and you are forcing them to download illegal warez with out them knowing. You never disclose that BY downloading dreamspec you are breaking the law and copyright holder's licences. If you wish to break the law click the download were's the disclaimer.???? This mood point is pretty bad
as some people dont like to break the law or download illegal software at least put a disclaimer saying what there are and thats not homebrew software but illegal made emulators. Your constant bring up GPL is childish and shows you want to cloud the truth you have no idea if Reaper has written permisson to do what he does he has permisson from a number of authors and emulator authors to do what he does Lupengo being one of them it is GPL code but he holds the right to release it Lgpl the author has written and allowed this among other's so thats the main point you are far off base and toastman is wrong about any GPL volations
as Reaper has permisson to do so and has released the source to many if not all software even some he does not have to release the source to .

IMR
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

A lot of people dont know dreamspec and DC_64 are illegal and you are forcing them to download illegal warez with out them knowing.
First of all we don't force anyone to do anything.. and all the other big DC scene sites (boob!, consolevision, dcreload etc..) host katana or wince binaries. Go complain to them because I am tired of hearing it.
Last edited by ZacMc on Fri May 02, 2003 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
SchmuckofNI
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by SchmuckofNI »

Who really cares? Sega as made no attempt to stop this from happening and obviously they don't care as long as no one is making a profit off it. Look at the likes of zophar's domain, they have been around for what 7 years now and no one has contacted them..
IMRtech
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by IMRtech »

Nintendo of America: Notice to Zophar's Domain
February 19, 2002

Sender Information:
Nintendo of America, Inc.
Sent by: None
None
4820 150th Ave NE
Redmond, WA, 98052, USA

Recipient Information:
Sam Michaels
Zophar's Domain
PA, 17112, USA

Sent via: email
Re: Nintendo of America: Notice of Intellectual Property

Dear Sam Michaels:

Nintendo of America Inc. (NOA) is providing this letter of notification pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, USC 17 ? 1201(b) (DMCA) and the US Customs ruling dated December 20, 2001, regarding the import, distribution and sale of the Flash Advance Linker. US Customs confirmed the Flash Advance Linker violates the DMCA and is subject to confiscation.

This notice is addressed to the agent designated by Zophar's Domain to receive notifications of claimed infringements, as reflected in the current records of the U.S. Copyright Office.

NOA has a good faith belief that the internet site found at http://www.zophar.net infringes Nintendo's intellectual property rights by distributing illegal imports of the Flash Advance Linker in violation of section ? 1201(b) of the DMCA and subject to seizure under 19 USC ? 1595a(c)(2)(c) by US Customs.

The e-commerce page offering the Flash Advance Linker for sale was found on your site at:
http://www.zophar.net/store/items.phtml?gba-acc

Nintendo demands that you immediately cease the importation, distribution and sale of the Flash Advance Linker and turn over your remaining stock to Nintendo.

The Flash Advance Linker appearing on Zophar.net has been identified by its title, description [and/or] depictions of associated artwork. Based on the information at its disposal on February 19, 2002, NOA believes that the statements in this notice are accurate and correctly describe the infringing nature and status of the infringing material.

Should you have any questions, please contact Nintendo of America Inc. at the following address, telephone and fax numbers, and/or e-mail address:

Nintendo of America Inc.
Attn: Anti-Piracy Group
4820 150th Ave. NE
Redmond, WA 98052
Telephone: 425-861-2187
Fax: 425-882-3585
E-mail: Noalegal@noa.nintendo.com

We look forward to working with you to immediately resolve this matter.

Sincerely,

NINTENDO OF AMERICA INC.
you were saying? Eventually illegal things are caught. simple as that. This is the last I'll say to this topic, but know your facts before you post. It may only be for a flash linker, but they were told none the less.
Tangent
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Tangent »

Could you post a link to where you found this email?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
IMRtech
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by IMRtech »

Mask of Destiny
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Mask of Destiny »

I would hardly call selling the Flash Advance illegal, this looks more to me like Nintendo trying to flex it's legal muscle. The Flash Advance has legitimate uses other than piracy like homebrew development. Saying it's illegal because most people use it for piracy would be like saying that CD burners or MP3 compression are illegal.

That said, I really doubt Sega or Microsoft are going to sue someone over distributing games illegally based on the Katana or WinCE devkits. Why should they care? The Dreamcast has been dropped and they're not making money off the devkits anymore. I doubt they even sell the devkits anymore. Since copyright is mostly civil law they have to go and sue someone for something to be done. This would cost them money and give them nothing in return except bad PR. What damages are they going to claim? They have lost nothing by this illegal use of the devkit. As for the code licensed from other companies in the devkit, I can't really comment since I don't know what's in there.

Regardless, I fail to see how the legal status of these unrelated programs have anything to do with whether or not someone should be able to hex edit reaper's releases.