SVCD/ VCD on DC

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Dr-Mad
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

SVCD/ VCD on DC

Post by Dr-Mad »

Hi,

I heard about this and I don't know how to get started on this... Can anyone lead me the way about this?

-Thanks
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

You can watch vcds on your dreamcast with gyplayer. What u do is put ur cd in your cd drive. Look for a .dat (big file depending on video at least 200 mbs). Download gyplayer files into a folder. And then put the .dat file in the same folder and burn it. Will need a boot disc to play. There is a way to make it self-bootable, but I dont know if I am allowed to say it. :?
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Gypplay is the name of the program
Skater_dusto
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Skater_dusto »

Isn't there a selfboot application that can also be used with katana stuff? I think that my post shouldn't get edited or deleted because it's on the boob site. And I know that it doesn't selfboot Segagen(Someone posted a reason here I think) and probably doesn't boot other pirated games. Well, maybe it does, I wouldn't know. But it can probably boot gypplay.

Btw, isn't there a .sbi for this yet? Hmm.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

Just to clarify, GypPlay isn't Katana, it's WinCE. And the reason there's no .sbi is that DreamInducer won't work with WinCE or Katana stuff. It is selfbootable, though. I believe the XDP boot kit and the accompanying tutorial written by fatheadpi should do the job of selfbooting GypPlay if you substitute the word "XDP" for "GypPlay". You can get the kit here.
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

Reason I cant put link is I dont know if I am aloud to.
Wasgo
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Wasgo »

Let's see...video options:
1. DCDivx - Probably the best of the bunch.
2. Gypplay - Decent, but not a lot of reasons, unless you don't feel like encoding.
3. Illegally ripped VCD player: Old version, plays like crap anyway.
4. Legal VCD player: Costs money, probably better just to buy a cheap dvd player that supports it.
5. Sega's player: Illegal and lame format. No reason to use at all.
bero
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by bero »

few years ago, I made VCD/SVCD player.

it can play VCD/SVCD directory without rip & re-burn such as Gypplay.
it is high quality movie than sold player. http://www.dcemulation.org/pay-dcvcd.htm
it can play SVCD but slow.
but HD crashed. all source gone.

now, I can make more powerful version, but I think it is no needs because most ppl use DVD rather than VCD.
polochon
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by polochon »

I've a question for you Bero

I've noticed that you 've used the SDL library smpeg for your last release : onScripter, what are the performance of this library on dreamcast ?
Le site sur l'?mulation dreamcast en fran?ais c'est http://www.dcreload.fr.st

oggy aka polochon ;)
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

OneThirty8 wrote:It is selfbootable, though. I believe the XDP boot kit and the accompanying tutorial written by fatheadpi should do the job of selfbooting GypPlay if you substitute the word "XDP" for "GypPlay".
An easier way would be to just use DSSBS which can selfboot it without changing anything
bero wrote:few years ago, I made VCD/SVCD player.

it can play VCD/SVCD directory without rip & re-burn such as Gypplay.
it is high quality movie than sold player.
it can play SVCD but slow.
now, I can make more powerful version, but I think it is no needs because most ppl use DVD rather than VCD.
I for one would love to see a legally free VCD player that supports disk swap - and SVCD support too? I *really* don't think anyone would have a problem if you did some work on that.... (I know I have way too many VCDs to want to have to reburn every single one of them into GypPlay disks) ;)

oh, and

TOPIC MOVED to homebrew apps
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Worth it for the VCD playing capabilities alone, and when you throw in SVCD :mrgreen: . There was some sort of library released a few weeks ago that could play MPEG2 (SVCD) at 15FPS - do you think that could ever be achieved with your player?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Wasgo
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Wasgo »

bero wrote:now, I can make more powerful version, but I think it is no needs because most ppl use DVD rather than VCD.
I'd love it. I have a dvd player that supports dvds and because of that my brother constantly takes out whatever is in there to play crappy rap videos. This usually means my nice, carefully cared for dvds are dumped on the floor. The concept of him using something else and not scratching all my stuff would be wonderful.
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

I think it would be hella tight DO IT!!
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

Bero, if you were to make a free VCD/SVCD player for DC that supports disc swapping, I would love you forever. Just because people have DVD players that support those formats now shouldn't discourage you from doing it if you want to. :D
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

Yea for real. I have a dvd player on my computer and tv. The tv one doesnt support vcd(toshiba). I have the DC hooked up there. Id rather watch it on TV then on COmputer. so do it please :)
SEGA
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by SEGA »

Bero, if you were to make a free VCD/SVCD player for DC that supports disc swapping, I would love you forever. Just because people have DVD players that support those formats now shouldn't discourage you from doing it if you want to.
i would lov you forever and (edited by 138) you :P

Let's try to keep it clean in here. Thanks.
Don't Fear The Toastman.

Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

Dude SEGA dony be all G@Y
BobBorakovitz
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by BobBorakovitz »

Bero, I'd personally LOVE to see a free VCD player. I didn't think there was anyone willing to work on that... I have TONS of VCD discs already burned that I'd LOVE to be able to take on the road with me and my trusty ol dreamcast, rather
than lugging around my DVD player and the dreamcast.... PLEASE DO!!!!!!!!!!!
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

SEGA wrote:
Bero, if you were to make a free VCD/SVCD player for DC that supports disc swapping, I would love you forever. Just because people have DVD players that support those formats now shouldn't discourage you from doing it if you want to.
i would lov you forever and (edited by 138) you :P

Let's try to keep it clean in here. Thanks.
Nice editing, 138 :wink: .
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
bero
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by bero »

polochon wrote:I've a question for you Bero

I've noticed that you 've used the SDL library smpeg for your last release : onScripter, what are the performance of this library on dreamcast ?
currency not work. I think thread or thread stack problem.