Can use disk images, but using selfbootbuddy/suse fails ever

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Skuli
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Can use disk images, but using selfbootbuddy/suse fails every time.

Post by Skuli »

I can use any downloaded image file (Nero, CDI, etc.) to make a CD that I can burn and boot successfully.

However, I cannot take the plain files and burn a CD using any of the available toolkits or with any of the on-line tutorials. I'd like to do this and add my own ROMS/etc.

I've tried burning it at anywhere from 1x to 16x. All that happens is that the Dreamcast boots to the Icon screen, with file/data/date/etc. etc.

Any ideas? This is an IDE HP 9716 burner, on a AMD 800mhz TBird box with 384 megs of RAM, 25 gigs of free HD space, and WindowsME. I've tried burning it on one of my two Win2K boxes, but CDRecord crashes with a Stack Overflow on both of those.

I could forward the NRG or CDI file that I end up with, and let them burn it. If that file works for you, and not for me, that's something to go on, I guess...

Thanks.

Brian K
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

have you *only* tried SBB and Suses? Because the kit I find works easiest for me is DiscoStu's selfboot kit available at http://www.consolevision.com/files/dssbsfinal.zip - Im really not sure what problems you are having burning your disk images though...

Can I just check, you're not burning the disk image onto a CD directly are you? If you go to DJ / NERO and select to burn image from disk and then open the file created by the self boot kit it *should* work correctly... yeah, sorry if that sounds obvious to you, but honestly cant think what elese it might be...
Skuli
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Skuli »

Yeah, those are the only two I've tried. They both report as working successfully, but when I open Nero and burn the image file from my hard disk to a CD, something fails...

I just downloaded and burned the Utopia selfboot image at 16x, and it's working fine, so I really doubt it's a hardware problem...

I'll give this other selfboot software a shot and see what happens.

Thanks for the help.

Brian K
Skuli
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Skuli »

OK, if anyone cares to give it a shot, here's my ISO of NesterDC 3, RAR'd up and ready to be burned with Nero. I can supply other formats upon request.

This is hosted off of my ADSL line, max 30k/sec upload.

Thanks.

http://keenerb.dyn.dhs.org/nero.rar

Brian K
Skuli
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Skuli »

This CD was just created with SUSE self boot toolkit, and is the image file itself loaded directly through Daemon Tools:

Multisession CD-ROM
Session 01 (29MB)
Track 01: 0:02.00 3:17.32 (30MB), ISO 9660 (mode 2)
Session 02 (1MB)
Track 02: 3:19.32 0:04.02 (2MB), ISO 9660 (mode 2)

If I burn the above CD, it's unbootable and useless. I cannot use the CDRECORD.EXE application, it crashes my system now. It ran fine for a while, but now it does not.

I just downloaded THIS image directly from http://www.dcemulation.org. I burned it, and it works fine.

Multisession CD-ROM
Session 01 (27MB)
Track 01: 0:02.00 2:36.02, Audio
Session 02 (3MB)
Track 02: 2:38.02 0:13.41 (3MB), ISO 9660 (mode 2)

Note the difference in track 1: One is Data, the other is Audio. I suspect that's the problem, and I'm taking a look at what I can do about it...

Brian K
Spaz-o-matic
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Spaz-o-matic »

The first track being Data or Audio does not matter.
Skuli
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Skuli »

OK, then, I wonder what could be the problem... Are the IP.BIN's game specific? The SBB toolkit came with a single IP.BIN, which is the one I've been using for NesterDC.

Brian K
StriderXg2
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Location: http://www.youtube.com/rkotm for my films about gaming and such.

Post by StriderXg2 »

OK, if anyone cares to give it a shot, here's my ISO of NesterDC 3, RAR'd up and ready to be burned with Nero. I can supply other formats upon request.

Thanks.

does that one work? I mean, didnt you say something about it not working on the next post? Aghh. Hopefully.
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

I used to have the same problem... although images wouldn't burn either..

The soloution I had to do was upgrade my CDR firmware... and the format the HD..

After that, everything was hunky-dory :)
Skuli
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Skuli »

Thanks.

does that one work? I mean, didnt you say something about it not working on the next post? Aghh. Hopefully.

Sorry, my mistake. I should have made it clear, that image does NOT work. I was hoping someone could download it and see if THEY could burn it and boot off of it successfully.

Brian K
discostu55555
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by discostu55555 »

i downloaded it, and aside from it containing roms (big no-no) the problem with youre image is that you are using an ip.bin thats designed for dreamsnes....
the dreamsnes executable is named 1DSNES.SH4 while most programs (including nester) have their file named to 1ST_READ.BIN...the solution is to either get another ip.bin or just rename the 1ST_READ.BIN to1DSNES.SH4 and just use the same ip.bin and selfboot process...
Skuli
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Skuli »

Hmm... I didn't realize it had roms in the image, my bad. I'm taking it down now anyway, now that someone's taken a look at it...

I'm pretty sure that was the IP.BIN included with the NesterDC plain files... I'll doublecheck again and see.

Did you just open it up in a hex editor and take a look?

Brian K
discostu55555
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by discostu55555 »

Did you just open it up in a hex editor and take a look
yes
BigOgre
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by BigOgre »

I have very limited experience with these utilities (I started trying some stuff these past few weeks). I had a similar experience burning NesterDC with SBB. I tried the IP.bin that was zipped with SBB, and it never worked.

I suspect that the IP.bin files must all be the same size, but application specific. But I'm not really sure, cause like i said, I'm pretty new to this stuff.

My rememdy was to do the following:
- I went to Takayama's Nester DC site (link to it by clicking his name on the DCEmulation page for NesterDC. I downloaded one of the later versions that he said contained both 1st_read.bin and ip.bin
- I then used all those file with SBB (along with including some roms), and I create a nero image, and then burn the image with nero

I have a couple of other questions if anyone out there could help:
Does anyone know what the IP.bin and 1st_read.bin file are for?
What does "scrambling" the bin files do?
Do you always need both files?
Skuli
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Skuli »

Groovy, problem solved. I did two things: Re-downloaded the NesterDC plain files zip, and re-installed the ASPI drivers from CDRWIN's web page.

Don't know for sure which of those worked, but the important part is I can now play NesterDC!

Now to try Quake...

Thanks for the help!

Brian K
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

BigOgre wrote: I suspect that the IP.bin files must all be the same size, but application specific. But I'm not really sure, cause like i said, I'm pretty new to this stuff.
Nope, can use any for any... just make sure it points to the right bin
BigOgre wrote:Does anyone know what the IP.bin and 1st_read.bin file are for?
IP.BIN tells the DC what executable file to look for, amongst other things... 1st_read.bin is usually the name for the executable.
BigOgre wrote:What does "scrambling" the bin files do?
Do you always need both files?
Scrambling makes a homebrew app selfboot... unscrambling makes it a boot-disc app. You don't need ip.bin if you are using a 1st_read.bin on a Utopia Boot Disc app :)
BigOgre
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by BigOgre »

That explained a lot of problems I was having. Thanks for your help Hollywood.