If Bleem! CAN.. then why CAN'T DC-PSX??

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
mkjones
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

If Bleem! CAN.. then why CAN'T DC-PSX??

Post by mkjones »

Hey everyone, i am new here, just got a Dreamcast. i Know im a late starter but ive always been a SEGA fan and the Saturn was a disaster over here in the UK, in fact i never even saw any in the shops! so i kinda drifted about when the DC came out beliving it may be the same, and it kinda was, but there are so many cool games and im so anti-PS i just had to get one...

anyway, talking of the PS,

Bleem! (bleemcast, bleempak, whatever) if IT can sucsessfully emulate 3 games and was desined to emulate 100 PS games then why are we haveing so many problems with the DC-PSX....

I love the idea of playing PSX games on my DC, well, becuase my mate has loads of em.... he also has no soul either (sorry was that below the belt?) :-)

anyhow, this was just bothering me, i like the DreamSNES havent tried the DGGen yet, is it any good? as good as the DreamSNES??

i would love to hear your ideas... i mean, why didnt bleem go open-source...

hope to hear from ya...
Dust on the Dreamcast
mkjones
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mkjones »

Wow, what a fast reply, i like it here already :-)

>>1) Bleem doesn't fully emulate the PSX. It emulates what is needed

ok, so any plans for open source style emus like this? i.e. a SPXDC - Silent Hill for example? i mean, this wouldnt be such a bad idea writing emus for all the top games, just like Bleem! did....

>>It was also done by a very experianced coder

im SURE there are just as compitent coders out there, i mean im not one of em, in fact im not a coder at all (well HTML) but look at the PC PSX and N64 emus, very cool and very well written..

>>PSXDC is at a very early stage and is intending to emulate the PSX as a whole.

yes, i thaought so, had no idea how long this had been going... are there any games it CAN play full whak??

>>so be patient

well, its taken me 4 years to buy a DC so i guess i can wait...

>>3) DCGen is great as a technical acheivment so far,

shame, i guess i expected more with it being a SEGA 2 SEGA emu, funny how the DreamSNES works fine :-P

Thanks for that..

also, have used the DCDivX, it looks great on a smaller TV, but not really for this forum so i will shut up...

ALSO.... back to Bleem! was it all lies about the 100game Bleempack??? or COULD it have been so?
Dust on the Dreamcast
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

I guess it could have been so, I'm not sure but Bleem! only really stopped becasue of Sony
mkjones
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mkjones »

>>I guess it could have been so, I'm not sure but Bleem! only really stopped becasue of Sony

thats a shame, i also read they ran out of funding and bad manegement and deadlines made it fail.. i suppose if the Bleemcast would REALLY have worked i mean played 100 PSX games then bleem would probably be alive today working on Bleem for Xbox and such...

ahh well, maybe bleem could come back someday, if they could promice PS2 games on the XBOX then that would be some achivement!

or maybe someone else will step up....
Dust on the Dreamcast
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

I you watch carefully you might just see the creator of Bleem! on these forums

Edit: Bleem isn't allowed to release anything else as part of the agreement with sony
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by reaper2k2 »

no comment on bleem!

welcome to the dc scenc!
http://homebrew.dcemulation.com/dcgames/ *homebrew webbrowser games *

http://r2k2gate.topcities.com *dev site and my releases*
Im' a Commodorian are you?
mkjones
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mkjones »

>>Yeah, but Rand has a lot of experiance, including Doom on the SNES

ive heard of Randy, read an interview somewhere, sounds like a clever guy... still a shame bleem went the way it has, if only they could do it all over...

>>The reason the 100 pack was canned was because of testing... you would
>>have to complete all 100 games per pack THOROUGHLY

he, he, yeh! imagine that, maybe they should have just done a 20 one and in a months time released another...

bet it was fun testing tho,,,,
Dust on the Dreamcast
Sanchez
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Sanchez »

mkjones wrote: >>The reason the 100 pack was canned was because of testing... you would
>>have to complete all 100 games per pack THOROUGHLY

he, he, yeh! imagine that, maybe they should have just done a 20 one and in a months time released another...

bet it was fun testing tho,,,,
Not in a million years would this be "fun"... Testing sufficiently complex software is almost as difficult as writing said software. Testing sufficiently complex software in an emulated environment would be even worse as you'd be forced to compare it to the original at any given point. Plus think about it... you'd have to try different combinations over and over until you found the problem. You don't get to "play" the game, you beat it into submission until it finally falls over dead.

Why do you think there are so many problems with software in general? Testing is hard, and most companies don't treat it as more than a "does it sorta do what we are marketing it as?"....
"This is worse than when the Raccoon got in the copier!"
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by reaper2k2 »

THATS why any think i put out i call a beta its for you to test not me

THE hours i spend just geting stuff to do what i want is silly i dont have time to test things for more then 30 mins

think i need a big break soon ive been going non stop for about 4 weeks

finaly a vaild point on bleem and why 100 packs were never going to be as you cant sell half working emulator that falls over on the 10 hour of ff7
http://homebrew.dcemulation.com/dcgames/ *homebrew webbrowser games *

http://r2k2gate.topcities.com *dev site and my releases*
Im' a Commodorian are you?
mkjones
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mkjones »

>>Not in a million years would this be "fun"...

YES! your right, ive been developing an educartional CDROM for a year now and the testing for that is horrendes! you have to use different specked machines, deffenet OS versoins, its HELL!

those poor Bleem guys, i bet they HATED MGS once it was done...
Dust on the Dreamcast
Speeddemon
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Speeddemon »

educartional? :? :o
P|-|33r |\/|3 B147C|-|!!!
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

It's obviously a self-improvement title. ;)
No signature.