any1 country modded a saturn?

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
ScruffysApricots
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

any1 country modded a saturn?

Post by ScruffysApricots »

im wondering if any1s done the country switch and/or the 50/60hz switch?
she on a morto cycle - AmadeusZull
dreamcaster1
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by dreamcaster1 »

just use the jumpers actually i think someone released a saturn boot disc tand if you can do the swap with the boot disc it will boot your imports to
I@N
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by I@N »

I have done both of the modifications you mention.

However, although the 50/60Hz switch is fairly straightforward, I have completely destroyed one Saturn by attempting the country mod :(. It was an a machine that instead of having 0 ohm resistors soldered to the board to set up the territoty circuit, it had tracks on the actual PCB (if that makes sence). In trying to cut those tracks I was unaware that each side of the PCB had 2 layers (with the 'hidden' lower layer being 0v), and now there is a short somewhere on the board which prevents it from starting.

However if you have the 0 ohm links soldered into your Saturn then the task is simple (I did it on another such Saturn with no problems at all).

Here are the instructions you will need:

http://www.geocities.com/imhill/saturnstuff.zip (you might have to right-click on it & select save as)

Or you will probably get more detailed advice by asking on the forums here:

http://www.litespeedcomputers.com/sx/I hope this helps :)

Oh and by the way, I have the Saturn bootdisc mentioned and it is essentially useless. It only works with a very limited number of games and it does not work with any of the games I have. For an alternative way of playing imports on your Saturn, you could buy a cartridge from Lik-Sang that will allow imports to be played without modifying your console.
Drink your weak lemon drink now!
I@N
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by I@N »

Sorry, the 2nd link should have been this:

http://www.litespeedcomputers.com/sx/

I don't appear to be able to edit my post for some reason :?: :?
.:ajay:.
Old Git
Old Git

Post by .:ajay:. »

I'm pretty sure the internal battery in my saturn's gone, does anyone know how easy they are to replace and wher to get them from??

cheers
ajay
I@N
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by I@N »

Ajay:

The internal battery used in the Saturn is exactly the same sort used in the DC's VMU. To replace it, simply open the little flap on the rear of your Saturn & it is located just inside. It is a CR2032 type.

I have seen them for sale on Yahoo auctions for about ?2 (go to either the Saturn or DC section). Or I expect any place that sells watch / camera batteries would sell them.

I hope this helps :)
.:ajay:.
Old Git
Old Git

Post by .:ajay:. »

It does indeed, cheers. :D
ajay
ScruffysApricots
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

i@n, did you use the hex inverter technique to install your country switch? ive seen several ways to do this and im not sure which is which...some dont seem to need hex inverters and jumpers......?
ventress
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

www.trsoft.demon.co.uk

Post by ventress »

Tony's website gives very good instructions. My saturn was the one without the 0Ohm resistor so you have to be careful when cuttin the traces. The jumpers are not together on that model main board but on both sides. They are labelled as the same jumpers so go by that. If the power light starts blinking you have a short so you haven't cut the traces on the jumpers properly.

Hope that helps.
I@N
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by I@N »

ScruffysApricots wrote: i@n, did you use the hex inverter technique to install your country switch? ive seen several ways to do this and im not sure which is which...some dont seem to need hex inverters and jumpers......?
I didn't use a hex inverter, I used a basic circuit insing a spst switch & resistor for each of the 3 jumpers. I am busy tonight, but I will draw a diagram of it over the weekend if that helps :)
I@N
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by I@N »

Sorry for the delay, but I have only just got my scanner & modem working properly again :roll:

Anyway, here is the information I mentioned:

http://www.geocities.com/imhill/satmod.htm

as you can see, for each of the 3 jumpers I have 1 spst switch (the 4th one in the photo is not used, I just had a load of those switches to use up). Each of the jumpers has a common pad (not always in the middle, check before soldering), a 5v pad and a 0v pad.

The resistor (anywhere between 2k & 10k) is soldered between the common pad & the 0v pad, the switch is soldered between the common pad & 5v pad.

So when you want to change region you will have to change 2 or 3 switches. However, the small switches I used are a bit fiddley to operate, so you may wan to use slightly bigger ones.

Obviously you could use 3 SPDT switches, in which case you will not need the resistor at all.

I hope this helps :)
ScruffysApricots
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

oh kick AZZ

yeah thats wicked ill be workin on that this weekend!
miah
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by miah »

The battery used inside the saturn is also the same type of battery used in many PC's.

-miah