Updated S&F Software Site

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Updated S&F Software Site

Post by S. Thompson »

http://sfsoftware.sevensoupcans.com/

It's still nothing to write home about, but I felt really bad for having it in shambles for so many years. Sometime around 2009 or 2010, the server got messed up with some malware and every freakin' page on the site was infected. The site went down and a temporary page went up. Well, the new page is little more than a placeholder, but at least it's a little better looking than it was for the past few years.

- Steve
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Re: Updated S&F Software Site

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Nice! Now, if only we could get the Screamcast site back up ;)
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Man! I want a remastered update to Inhabitants.
dreamcast-news
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by dreamcast-news »

S. Thompson wrote:http://sfsoftware.sevensoupcans.com/

It's still nothing to write home about, .... for the past few years.

- Steve
And ?
No news about another DC production ? :)

Thanks.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

cube_b3 wrote:Man! I want a remastered update to Inhabitants.
Two major things affecting the possibility of this ever happening:
  • GOAT Store Publishing
  • Lots of pixel art - either from our old artist or a new one
From the perspective of code and music, I think it's something that's feasible. Those two hindrances are big ones though. While I don't know exact numbers, I would be willing to bet GOAT store could still be in the red from Inhabitants. There was a whole debacle with the original pressing plant and I think there may be a butt-load of coaster copies in Dan Loosen's basement or something. :)

I think this is all public knowledge and such, but always worth bringing up. Myself and the other guys at S&F are forever in debt to Dan and Gary at GOAT Store for the time, money, and countless phone calls that probably went in to letting our little puzzle game see the light of day.

Unfortunately, I don't know that anyone can justify the cost involved with doing a remastered Inhabitants release. It'd be nice if I were wrong, but I think this is kind of where things sit. I am reminded of the video recently shared by Remedy Entertainment about why they will not be doing an Alan Wake sequel anytime soon. Unfortunately, as with all creative aspirations, the required fuel is often money and business logistics often do play a vital role. :(

As for the second item, we've historically had trouble finding suitable pixel art for potential games or even ones we've ended up releasing. A lot of pixel artists go into a project expecting to get a decent chunk of commission - unfortunately for us, all of our projects have always been $0 budget ones. We were incredibly fortunate to have Andrew Bado work with us for the few years he did with few expectations outside of shared growth from both ends. While we may have had occasional disagreements on project direction, I fully believe he is one of the best pixel artists whose work I have ever seen and am eternally grateful for the time and effort he gave to us over the years.

So, at the end of the day, the biggest issue with doing this sort of thing is probably money for both items. I hate money - it takes a long time to get and doesn't last long once you have it around. :| I'd like to say another DC release could happen in the future, but I really don't know that it'll happen. Thanks for reading my long-winded reply if you made it this far! Haha!

- Steve
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I can't speak for GoatDan but this is what he has said about the incident.

So basically this:
http://www.goatstorepublishing.com/news ... s-Quickly/

I believe he is also on record stating that even if he sold out the entire print run, they wouldn't be able to break even. That said, they have continued to release new games and I think he has accepted the fact that Inhabitants and Maqiupai cost him big.

Loosen is an awesome man and he has spoken fondly of you, whenever the discussion came up and I doubt he would be averse to stocking a remaster even if he still has units of the original left. Although, all of us would like something new as well.

In my opinion with the exception of Irides, all the games are extremely outdated and lack the polish that is expected out of indie games, but they are good puzzlers and would definitely benefit from a remaster.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

Well, I manually went through all of the old records and stuff in the internet archive's wayback machine today and tried to get a definitive data set of all the old S&F Software news posts. Everything is stored in a database now and you can navigate all the way to the silly posts from 2000. :o

Seriously, re-reading some of the site updates cracked me up because they are just SO stupid. Either way, more to come on the updated site soon!

- Steve
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

You know if you could give me a couple of review links and a few screen shots.
I could make a Wikipedia page for it.

As I have already made pages for GSP, RSG, NGDT and almost all of their game pages.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

cube_b3 wrote:You know if you could give me a couple of review links and a few screen shots.
I could make a Wikipedia page for it.

As I have already made pages for GSP, RSG, NGDT and almost all of their game pages.
That'd be really sweet, man. I actually need to see what reviews are still live and which are dead links. I know Die Hard Gamer's site went down a few years ago.

I'll take a look at what I have and try to get you some stuff. Thank you!

This is probably an OK time to mention that all these updates and stuff are not purely historical. I have been working on something for the past two months or so; it's still too early to reveal much, but maybe I'll have something to show by the end of the year.

- Steve
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I can review the game as well on my website.

All I need for that are screens.
Dead Links can work if archive.org has the actual review.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

S. Thompson wrote:This is probably an OK time to mention that all these updates and stuff are not purely historical. I have been working on something for the past two months or so; it's still too early to reveal much, but maybe I'll have something to show by the end of the year.
hehe, awesome! - Is it a Legend of Iya port ? Please tell me it's a Legend of Iya port! :)
Insane homebrew collector.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Lol, Christ dial your expectations down.
Iya is an adventure game to big in scope to get ported to the dc indie scene.

I am not saying it is impossible but I don't want to get excited for no reason.
Also Inhabitants 2/HD/Remix would be a more likely possibility or something in between.