Nintendo 3DS: $80 Price Cut

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Specially Cork
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Nintendo 3DS: $80 Price Cut

Post by Specially Cork »

http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-sla ... 7276.phtml

Wow. Didn't think I'd see a price cut so soon and by so much. This saving, plus the release of actual games should see me picking one up by the end of the year.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Nintendo 3DS: $80 Price Cut

Post by mankrip »

I still don't see a reason to upgrade from my Dingoo. Portable gaming don't need to be so hardcore.

The only thing I'd really like a 3DS for is to experience the 3D graphics.

If I had the money, I'd buy it... but I think most companies doesn't really know what portable gaming should be about.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

Nintendo seems to have really screwed over the early adopters on this one since I don't think there is even one 3DS game out there worth owning and now it is getting cut by $80.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

mrandyk wrote:Nintendo seems to have really screwed over the early adopters on this one since I don't think there is even one 3DS game out there worth owning and now it is getting cut by $80.

The one I bought it for: Ocarina of Time 3D. Yep. It's that amazing.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I guess Nintendo finally realized that they overpriced this thing, and that they don't have the stranglehold on portable gaming that they used to.

Eva got a 3DS, primarily because she graduate college and got a gift card to a tech shop for a new computer, and had some money left over on the card after she picked out a laptop. I've played it a few times... it's interesting, and the analog stick works much better than the PSP's. However, I start to get a headache if I use the 3D effect for too long.

Nintendo is giving early adopters some downloads to compensate--10 free NES games, and 10 free GBA games, some of which are apparently exclusive (which seems silly, but whatever). See article here:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/28/curre ... ree-games/

As much as I disliked the PSP, I'm actually more interested in the Vita than I am the 3DS. I haven't seen a single title announced for the latter that looks compelling. Maybe the new Kid Icarus, I dunno. Honestly, at this point, either company is going to have to work hard to convince me of why I need anything more than my iPod Touch for portable gaming. It's got a great library of pick-up-and-play games, and a massive stable of small-time experimental developers creating fun quirky things, and the software price is next to nil. If I need a meatier game, I've got consoles. I may have reached a point where I'm done with dedicated gaming handhelds.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I expected a price drop, but I never expected a drop that dramatic that soon. I figured they would wait close to the Vita launch and then shave off $50. This is completely surprising, and bad news for Sony who actually scaled back the specs on their new Vita just to match the 3DS price point. It makes me second guess being an early adopter on the Vita, because if Nintendo can't follow up their record selling DS with a brand new system at $250, how is Sony going to follow up their struggling PSP at the same price?

But back to the 3DS, now that they've fixed the cost issue, now they need to fix the lack of software issue. Granted, I'm not extremely worried, as the software will eventually come. The original DS didn't exactly have the greatest lineup either (though admittedly still better than the 3DS). But it's not coming quick enough to really show the benefits of the 3DS.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Hmm ... I'm in the market, as well. I don't have much money, but if I scrounge ~$250 together, I'd buy one.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

the software will eventually come.
:gapgrin:
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I just want Nintendo Mobile and gyroscopic Mario Kart on my phone.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

Man, the 3ds is just so shitty. I bought one, but sold it a while ago. Any games that I kinda give a shit about I already played and I just don't give a fuck to play games I've already played. Also, the 20 free games are so fucking shit. Yay, a bunch of games you've most likely played if you're a nintendo fan (hell, you bought the 3ds early and still have the pos). I mean, store credit would of been better so you could of at least chosen what you wanted. Perhaps, store credit+some exclusive GBA games or whatever. Honestly, if I still had a 3ds I just couldn't even be interested in the free games because of flash carts that could play every game they were giving out. I'm really looking forward to the vita more. It will still be a few years before I really consider getting one, but the lineup of games is looking better than what the 3ds is doing. I just feel like it will be a better handheld in every way possible.

I didn't like the 3d on the 3ds, it had pretty shittacular graphics and the screens seemed low quality IMO. Also, it somehow was less comfortable than the dslite. Sure, I have not seen a psvita irl, but it looks like it will be pretty inviting to hold and you can go on about how you don't care about graphics... i do. Yeah, graphics don't make a game I know that, but I still like to see some pretty graphics in certain types of games. Also, the dual analog sticks is really fucking cool. I don't know how I feel about the back touch screens, but unlike nintendo sony doesn't seem to push developers to use their stupid gimmicky bullshit. The psvita seems like it will have awesome sales. With it getting call of duty (even though I don't like CoD aside from zombies) that will be a huge seller for certain people, but games like uncharted and plenty of others that they've shown demos of just look really fucking cool.

It seems like the handheld that will get a lot of attention from NIS and tons of atlus published titles that will have amazing gameplay and great graphics. Even though what I'm saying about the vita will take time to build I just don't see the 3ds building well. Sure, it will have some solid fucking zelda game, mario game, and pokemon game. I'm sure they would be amazing, but if I'm buying a handheld/console a few good first party games just aren't enough to have me sold. So far from what I'm seeing of the 3ds I'm not very happy and that really disappoints me. If the wii-u isn't a huge success for nintendo (I think it will be and from what I've seen I want one so far) and the 3ds keeps being shit then we could possibly see the end of nintendo as we know them in the next decade or so.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

I'd like to try Starfox 64 3D unfortunately I have no intentions of buying a 3DS, hopefully I can play it on a kiosk.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

Walmart decided to go ahead and drop the price early. So anyone who wants to go get the 3DS $80 cheaper and 20 free roms should go get it from them and get it online by Thursday night.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

They did? The website still shows the lower price as a "Not sold in stores" pre-order.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

Ex-Cyber wrote:They did? The website still shows the lower price as a "Not sold in stores" pre-order.
Yeah they did in all their stores, I went and picked one up.