Netflix Debuts Set-Top player (Streaming Movies/Shows)

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Netflix Debuts Set-Top player (Streaming Movies/Shows)

Post by impetus »

This is pretty sweet! I've managed to get along without Netflix thus far (I wouldn't get much use out of the DVD-by-mail model), but I think they just won me over with this product.
http://www.roku.com/netflixplayer

Gizmodo did a pretty good write-up about it:
http://gizmodo.com/389698/first-netflix ... -downloads
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Re: Netflix Debuts Set-Top player (Streaming Movies/Shows)

Post by melancholy »

I'm still waiting for Xbox 360 or PS3 streaming, though this is pretty awesome too. Does it require a computer to use?
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

melancholy wrote:Does it require a computer to use?
Sort of. The box can only access what's in your queue, and you have to use the website to add stuff to your queue.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

melancholy wrote:I'm still waiting for Xbox 360 or PS3 streaming, though this is pretty awesome too.
Has anything like that been announced? I don't see this happening on the 360 since they already have their own overpriced video download system.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

It occurs to me that a lot of ISPs will probably hate this thing with a passion. I wonder what the fallout will be...
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

impetus wrote:
melancholy wrote:I'm still waiting for Xbox 360 or PS3 streaming, though this is pretty awesome too.
Has anything like that been announced? I don't see this happening on the 360 since they already have their own overpriced video download system.
Sort of. There was a survey sent to Netflix subscribers asking if they would be interested in buying a disc for $5 that would allow them to stream movies over their 360/PS3. I would assume the disc would simply be a bootable program that would pull up Netflix's website.

Also, there currently is the option to stream Netflix video from the PC to the 360, but it requires Vista's Media Center, and of course, a computer streaming to the 360. Since my computer is already in the same room anyway, it's easier for me to just hook the PC up to the TV.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

netflix will have 4 boxes this ear, the one that was just announced, and one from LG which will support hd. and they did the survey for the 360 and ps3. but at of now the video quality is piss poor even for sd tv. its not to dvd standard yet, but hopefully they fix that since most people wont watch from a tiny pc monitor and want to watch sd and hd from a tv. the man thing is the need to not stream movies only, but offer downloads (they should drm the fuck out of them, so they can get the movie deals)

only prob other than quality netflix faces, and blockbuster is working on getting exclusives with some major studios such as universal and i think mgm, block buster already signed an exclusive deal with ifc.