Wii Virtual Console Releases Thread

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Dew
Mayks now sents!
Mayks now sents!
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Dew »

Veggita2099 wrote:Still it kills me to pay $5 plus tax...
Ummmmm, I have never been taxed for buying games on virtual console. If you buy the cards then yeah you are, but if you use debit or credit it works fine.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

DaMadFiddler wrote:However, it frustrates me that Nintendo mapped SNES controls by button name rather than position, as the SNES layout is rotated about 90 degress from that of the 'Cube. It's further frustrating that the Virtual Console doesn't have top-level button reassignment. This makes most games (in my case, Donkey Kong Country and Contra) very difficult to play; I have to put my right hand in a hook position, and hit the B and X/Y buttons with my thumb and index finger, respectively. Thankfully, CV4 lets you change the controls...but only because the actual game supported this.
Perhaps you should give the classic controller a chance then... I've played with it and liked it a lot. - Not that I wouldn't agree with you on the missing remapping features in the VC.

Anyway, here are some nice pics of the CC: http://www.supernes.de/index.php?pageid=84
Insane homebrew collector.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Veggita2099 wrote:I am tempted to make a purchase actually. The original Castlevania was a decent title and I wouldn't mind have punchout. Still it kills me to pay $5 plus tax when I have punchout sitting right in my closest. However I am too lazy to fool with writing down codes or fighting with the blinking light etc. Plus you have the room factor.

I also have gotten used to wireless controllers. My living room is sooo much cleaner since I don't have 3 systems with wires wadded up everywhere.

I know I used to have a decent time playing the first Castlevania game but I get the feeling now I will probably find it too hard and just get pissed and bitch about it a lot. If it was Castlevania 2 or 3 Id jump all over it though. It was my least favorite of all the older Castlevania games.
1. If you consider Castlevania too hard or too stiff, there is Castlevania 4. CV4 was a sorta-kinda-maybe remake of the original (about as much as Metroid: Zero Mission is a remake of the original Metroid), and it is both easier to control and less difficult.

2. Tax? No, straight points to dollars. $1 equals 100 points, no sales tax.
Number Six
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Number Six »

DaMadFiddler wrote:2. Tax? No, straight points to dollars. $1 equals 100 points, no sales tax.
Unless, as pointed out, you get the points card in a store. Then, "Tax? Yes." I just pay for my points with the Wii, though. I like the option of only buying 1000 at a time.
DARKGATE wrote:look me in the my balls eyes :o
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

When I go to buy points on the Wii it charges me sales tax. To buy 1000 points it charges me $10.60. The same deal with Microsoft points. Maybe it has to do where I live in Ohio?
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

Christuserloeser wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:However, it frustrates me that Nintendo mapped SNES controls by button name rather than position, as the SNES layout is rotated about 90 degress from that of the 'Cube. It's further frustrating that the Virtual Console doesn't have top-level button reassignment. This makes most games (in my case, Donkey Kong Country and Contra) very difficult to play; I have to put my right hand in a hook position, and hit the B and X/Y buttons with my thumb and index finger, respectively. Thankfully, CV4 lets you change the controls...but only because the actual game supported this.
Perhaps you should give the classic controller a chance then... I've played with it and liked it a lot. - Not that I wouldn't agree with you on the missing remapping features in the VC.

Anyway, here are some nice pics of the CC: http://www.supernes.de/index.php?pageid=84
or buy one of these: http://www.retrousb.com/wii.html and play them the way they were supposed to be played
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I think you missed the part about my already having three WaveBirds, liking their layout, and not wanting to buy a bunch more crap to dangle from my Wii.

That sounded funny.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Sorry, DMF, but I think you might as well break down and buy a classic controller. It would be one thing if these controllers were $40 like the Wavebirds, but costing only half that, plus being setup perfectly and having much, much, much better D-pads in comparison to the Gamecube's tiny one, the pros outweigh the cons in this case. I mean, it honestly doesn't matter how Nintendo would decide to approach classic gaming on a Gamecube controller. The fact is that it was never designed to play SNES games and no layout would be able to make the controller work better than a true SNES pad or a very good clone of it, which the Classic Controller is. Just because the Gamecube can be used for SNES, doesn't mean it is a good option to do so.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Wiimote turned sideways = the best for NES and TG16 games
Wavebird = the best for N64 games
Classic Controller = the best for SNES and Megadrive games
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Two more sure-fire buys:

Today, the ESRB posted two more games that had been rated for Wii:
- Ninja Gaiden
- TMNT 2: The Arcade Game

...When I was in elementary school, I spent a couple weeks each summer with my grandparents, playing TMNT2 with my cousin. The fire in the first level is the first time I ever remember being impressed by a video game's environmental effects. And Ninja Gaiden...well, yeah. Ninja Gaiden is awesome. I still like Shinobi better, but Ninja Gaiden is a great game.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Two more sure-fire buys:

- Ninja Gaiden

...When I was in elementary school, I spent a couple weeks each summer with my grandparents, playing TMNT2 with my cousin. The fire in the first level is the first time I ever remember being impressed by a video game's environmental effects. And Ninja Gaiden...well, yeah. Ninja Gaiden is awesome. I still like Shinobi better, but Ninja Gaiden is a great game.
Id just assume pay and play $5 for the Xbox live version then to pay and play $5 for the NES game. I remember enjoying the first Ninja Gaiden game as a kid, although I guarantee I wouldn't have the patience to place it now.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Veggita2099 wrote:

- Ninja Gaiden

Id just assume pay and play $5 for the Xbox live version then to pay and play $5 for the NES game. I remember enjoying the first Ninja Gaiden game as a kid, although I guarantee I wouldn't have the patience to place it now.
You "assume" nothing! The phrase is "just as soon," as in "I'd just as soon stab out my own eye as I would invest in the Phantom." Saying "just assume" in that context makes absolutely no sense. :P

As for TMNT, I actually grew up on the NES game, not the true arcade game. It's what I got used to, and it's what I spent hours of my childhood playing with my cousin, my friends, and my brother. It will be a welcome addition to my library.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

He does that all the time DMF ;)
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Sir Slash

Post by Sir Slash »

Veggita2099 wrote:

- Ninja Gaiden

i want both... i like the arcade orginal ...but tmnt2 has a lot of extras so the game isnt as short as the arcade... kinda mixed feelings ya know

i hope they release the sequel on the snes
WELCO
ME
TOT
HE
NEX
T
LEVEL

Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

I'd rather pick up TMNT4:Turtles in Time for the SNES than TMNT2 NES tbh.

Also the JPN release of F Zero X leads me to hope that'll get a PAL release, because I <3 that game. Way more than the GC version.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I think we've played F-Zero X/64 for maybe 10.000 hours or something. Much more than Mario Kart 64, Worms and Saturn Bomberman together.
Insane homebrew collector.
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

Sir Slash wrote:
Veggita2099 wrote:

- Ninja Gaiden

i want both... i like the arcade orginal ...but tmnt2 has a lot of extras so the game isnt as short as the arcade... kinda mixed feelings ya know

Same here. I spent a lot of time (and money) on both the arcade and NES games back in the day. I also want Ninja Gaiden badly...even if it's virtually impossible to beat without save states. I'm sorry...getting kicked back to Bloody Molth if you die at Jaquio is just ridiculous...
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Christuserloeser wrote:I think we've played F-Zero X/64 for maybe 10.000 hours or something. Much more than Mario Kart 64, Worms and Saturn Bomberman together.
Ooh...Saturn Bomberman.

I think that game still holds the record for the game supporting the most simultaneous players on a single console. Bomberman Online for DC has better game modes, and Bomberman Land Touch! for DS has both online play *and* 8 player support (though everyone has to have their own DS, of course)...but having ten players on one Saturn is pretty awesome.

Those are probably the three best versions of Bomberman, for different reasons.

And come to think of it, they all support online play too.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Vlad Tepes wrote:
Sir Slash wrote:
Veggita2099 wrote:

- Ninja Gaiden

Same here. I spent a lot of time (and money) on both the arcade and NES games back in the day. I also want Ninja Gaiden badly...even if it's virtually impossible to beat without save states. I'm sorry...getting kicked back to Bloody Molth if you die at Jaquio is just ridiculous...
I haven't played it since the actual NES days, and I'm very anxious to give it another shot. I'm much better now than I was then. And if I can beat games like Castlevania for NES, Ikaruga (without infinite continues), and Super Ghouls'n'Ghosts, I think I stand a fighting chance. Those last two, especially, are (in my opinion) two of the hardest games ever made.
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
Vlad Tepes wrote:
Sir Slash wrote:
Veggita2099 wrote:

- Ninja Gaiden

I haven't played it since the actual NES days, and I'm very anxious to give it another shot. I'm much better now than I was then. And if I can beat games like Castlevania for NES, Ikaruga (without infinite continues), and Super Ghouls'n'Ghosts, I think I stand a fighting chance. Those last two, especially, are (in my opinion) two of the hardest games ever made.
I thought the same thing the other week when I pulled out the old trilogy cart for my SNES. I blasted through most of the game...until I got to the last level, and the difficulty ramped up quite a bit. But even that level isn't so terrible. What makes it hard is you have to finish the last battle with whatever health you have left over from the last level, because if you die, you get sent back TWO levels...even if you have men remaining! It's incredibly frustrating. It's like if you were playing Castlevania IV, and you died at Dracula...and the game sent you back to the start of Stage B...even if you had 2 lives remaining when you died. Grrr...just thinking about it pisses me off.