Nintendo Buys Monolith

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Nintendo Buys Monolith

Post by DaMadFiddler »

RPG fans rejoice?

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/27/xenos ... -nintendo/
Japanese development studio Monolith Soft has been purchased by Nintendo from Namco Bandai, according to a press release (PDF file) from credible Japanese news source Nikkei translated by gaming site The Platformers.

Our team of translators have discerned from the release that Nintendo now owns 80% of the company's stock, while Namco Bandai still retain 16% of their original 96% holdings in the developer, whose total worth is approximately 75 million yen.

The studio, formed in 1999 by former Square employee Hirohide Sugiura, is responsible for the Xenosaga and Baten Kaitos series. The company is also reportedly developing Disaster: Day of Crisis, a Wii title that hasn't been seen since its appearance at E3 2006.

We've contacted Nintendo further details. For the console maker, this gives them an experienced second party RPG developer. We'll keep you updated as this story progresses.

[Thanks for the translation help, Patrick and Andrew]
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Very interesting.

I thought Nintendos days of having second parties were gone, as all of their previous second parties have either been sold off or fully bought out to become a first party. Nintendo have also recently been shedding 'external' devcos in favour of funding new startups.

I guess Day Of Crisis is looking like something Nintendo want to keep exclusively.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

4 Color Rebellion wrote:Can’t wait to see what’s in store…as long as it’s free of card-based battles ;)
- Fuzmeister
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

hmmm... wonder if the Wii may end up being one of the rpg consoles given that is probable that the PS3 isn't going to do all that well outside of Japan.
FiendWithoutAface
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by FiendWithoutAface »

abydos1000 wrote:hmmm... wonder if the Wii may end up being one of the rpg consoles given that is probable that the PS3 isn't going to do all that well outside of Japan.
How cool would an Elder Scrolls game be on wii? You could use the wii-mote to swing weapons, cast spells, block with a shield, or maybe even do blacksmithing and other related tasks. The possibilities are endless for rpg's on wii.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

FiendWithoutAface wrote:
abydos1000 wrote:hmmm... wonder if the Wii may end up being one of the rpg consoles given that is probable that the PS3 isn't going to do all that well outside of Japan.
How cool would an Elder Scrolls game be on wii? You could use the wii-mote to swing weapons, cast spells, block with a shield, or maybe even do blacksmithing and other related tasks. The possibilities are endless for rpg's on wii.
I would love that. I've really been wanting to play Oblivion, but I have a Mac, a DS, and a Wii...so I don't have anything to run it on. However, the developer has stated in no uncertain terms that it will not be ported to Wii, because a Wii version wouldn't be able to meet their "quality standards."
FiendWithoutAface
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by FiendWithoutAface »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
FiendWithoutAface wrote:
I would love that. I've really been wanting to play Oblivion, but I have a Mac, a DS, and a Wii...so I don't have anything to run it on. However, the developer has stated in no uncertain terms that it will not be ported to Wii, because a Wii version wouldn't be able to meet their "quality standards."
Oblivion may not be, but morrowind or maybe another game based/from the franchise could. I hope. *fingers crossed*
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
FiendWithoutAface wrote:
But a PSP version is okay? :?
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Ask Bethesda.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

melancholy wrote: But a PSP version is okay? :?
The PSP version is an isometric diablo clone. It's hardly the same thing, and when people ask about a port of Oblivion for the Wii, they want whats described above - a first person action RPG with controlls mapped for sword swinging etc, not a crappy isometric dungeon crawler.

I'm sure Bethseda take that as a given.
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

"Quality standards"?

In that case, port Arena to the GBA.
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
FiendWithoutAface wrote:
As much as I like the game, I wasn't really thinking of something like Oblivion when I wrote that. Example... I wonder if it will be the Wii that will see games from the FF13 franchise? Maybe this will the platform of choice for Atlus??
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Originally when I saw this I thought of the US developer (Lithtech engine). There are two game dev studios called Monolith?!?
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
The PSP version is an isometric diablo clone. It's hardly the same thing, and when people ask about a port of Oblivion for the Wii, they want whats described above - a first person action RPG with controlls mapped for sword swinging etc, not a crappy isometric dungeon crawler.
Wait, what? The PSP Oblivion was suppose to be played just like the original only instead of the open world it was intended to be broken down into missions. Like a mix of Oblivion and Dark Messiah. I haven't heard anything about a 'isometric Diablo clone' unless the project has taken a huge turn from it's original direction.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

melancholy wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:
Wait, what? The PSP Oblivion was suppose to be played just like the original only instead of the open world it was intended to be broken down into missions. Like a mix of Oblivion and Dark Messiah. I haven't heard anything about a 'isometric Diablo clone' unless the project has taken a huge turn from it's original direction.
This is exactly what I read in an interview somewhere. I can't find a single announcement or screenshot suggesting it will be isometric.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

It was announced to be an 'isometric action rpg', which had been stripped down into 10 levels with no 'outdoor' sections, so just dungeons.

The point is moot anyway, as its vanished off of Ubisofts release schedules and is likely canned. If it does ever come out I guess I get to say "I told you it was an isometric Diablo knockoff". Yay.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I wish I would have kept the issue of Game Informer that had screenshots from the PSP version. I can't find any images anywhere. That magazine was the only place I even seen anything about the game.
leileilol
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by leileilol »

oh man blood on wii ^__^

hey wait a minute this isn't that monolith, its the otaku magnet monolith >=(
POOPOO
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

leileilol wrote:oh man blood on wii ^__^
That was the first thought that entered my head... heh
It's thinking...
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

impetus wrote:Originally when I saw this I thought of the US developer (Lithtech engine). There are two game dev studios called Monolith?!?
Same here! I was getting excited for another Blood game. Pfft, this news sucks then. Major thread fail.