What to do with 10 Dream Cast Katana Dev Systems (part 2)

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What to do with 10 Dream Cast Katana Dev Systems (part 2)

Post by DaMadFiddler »

* THIS DISCUSSION IS CONTINUED FROM THE PREVIOUS TOPIC *

Stagg, he really does have a point. Let's let these things go to people who will actually be productive with them, okay? Everyone's better off with them that way, rather than having them gather dust in someone's collection.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

tekrex: I see you're in the bay area. I live in Santa Cruz, and I think people here would trust me to distribute. If you don't want to deal with shipping them...if we can find a way to get the units to me, I would be happy to redistribute them to those who need them shipped. If you're comfortable shipping them to people, that's fine too. I just thought I'd offer.
Last edited by DaMadFiddler on Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

Fiddler, I'm in Napa and made the same offer. I'm not totally sure anymore but I believe I'm considerably closer to SF than you are.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

The hability to run homebrew from the hard drive and to take screenshots directly from the dev unit are very useful. Anyway, let's see what happens.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

APE wrote:Fiddler, I'm in Napa and made the same offer. I'm not totally sure anymore but I believe I'm considerably closer to SF than you are.
You are; that said, it would probably be better for you to handle it, then. (Assuming, of course, that the step is necessary at all).
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Fragger wrote:The hability to run homebrew from the hard drive and to take screenshots directly from the dev unit are very useful. Anyway, let's see what happens.
In order to run homebrew from the hard drive you need the SDK. There's no other way to put the thing into the appropriate mode (unless someone has reverse engineered it).

You can run non-katana based things on them though. You just have to use GD-Workshop (an SDK program) to do so.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

BlueCrab wrote:
Fragger wrote:The hability to run homebrew from the hard drive and to take screenshots directly from the dev unit are very useful. Anyway, let's see what happens.
In order to run homebrew from the hard drive you need the SDK. There's no other way to put the thing into the appropriate mode (unless someone has reverse engineered it).

You can run non-katana based things on them though. You just have to use GD-Workshop (an SDK program) to do so.
There is a second way that Mark discovered. It involves tearing the unit apart and flipping a switch while removing a cable. That also means you can't use the built in gd-rom until the switch is moved back and the cable reinserted. Having seen the inside of one of these I wouldn't say that most people here can do it without breaking something in the process. These are dev kits, not backhoes.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Yes, I'm aware of the with SDK and without SDK methods.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

APE wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:

There is a second way that Mark discovered. It involves tearing the unit apart and flipping a switch while removing a cable. That also means you can't use the built in gd-rom until the switch is moved back and the cable reinserted. Having seen the inside of one of these I wouldn't say that most people here can do it without breaking something in the process. These are dev kits, not backhoes.
Actually, if I know the method you are speaking of, that's only to disable emulation mode, not to enable it (I used his method to make sure my devbox worked in the first place). In order to tell the devbox to emulate something as a GD-ROM, GD-Workshop has to tell the devbox where to even look on the hard drive and all.

In short, the only thing saved is whether or not the devbox is in Emulation mode, not what it was emulating the last time it was.
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

I'll pay shipping to NH. I don't have much money at the moment. ;_; Otherwise, I'd give more. Also, I require pictures of said development units.
Cyphix
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Cyphix »

I'll drive over to wherever you are, and get one.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

It's been 5 days...
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Mark30001
Mark30001
Mark30001

Re: What to do with 10 Dream Cast Katana Dev Systems (part 2

Post by Mark30001 »

tekrex wrote:Ok, so I'm the ops manager for a bay area game company and we recently moved offices. In doing so we had to clear out a storage locker and I found 10 of these dev kits. No one who is currently with the company ever worked with them and we didn't even know we had them!

Any way no one here wants them. I called Sega and they said to call "so and so" who transfered me to "so and so" who hung up on me. After a week of that I gave up. I would feel bad just throwing them away. They power up just fine but there is no software installed. Is there really a market for these? I was thinking of using them to make some book shelves :)
Weren't you the same one that found a devbox at a garage sale? ;)
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

Mark30001 wrote:
tekrex wrote:Ok, so I'm the ops manager for a bay area game company and we recently moved offices. In doing so we had to clear out a storage locker and I found 10 of these dev kits. No one who is currently with the company ever worked with them and we didn't even know we had them!

Any way no one here wants them. I called Sega and they said to call "so and so" who transfered me to "so and so" who hung up on me. After a week of that I gave up. I would feel bad just throwing them away. They power up just fine but there is no software installed. Is there really a market for these? I was thinking of using them to make some book shelves :)
Weren't you the same one that found a devbox at a garage sale? ;)
I figured our chains were being yanked, or he never intended to sell one to anyone.
Cyphix wrote:I'll drive over to wherever you are, and get one.
You're going to drive from Jersey to California, 6k miles for just a devkit?

At $2.50/gal and 30mpg you're spending $500 on gas. $500 will get you a dev kit on ebay. Course you won't find gas for much less than $3.10 in california and it's unlikely your vehicle of choice will get 30mpg the way there and back.
Mark30001
Mark30001
Mark30001

Post by Mark30001 »

I'm serious, lol.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

so it was just a joke? makes sense.
Cyphix
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Cyphix »

APE wrote:

At $2.50/gal and 30mpg you're spending $500 on gas. $500 will get you a dev kit on ebay. Course you won't find gas for much less than $3.10 in california and it's unlikely your vehicle of choice will get 30mpg the way there and back.
I'll drive an electric car. :wink:
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

Cyphix wrote:
APE wrote:

I'll drive an electric car. :wink:
Alright. Using wikipedia the only currently available, fully electric car for purchase in the US is the Commuter Cars Tango, getting 60-80 miles per charge. Assuming you can get a 220v outlet you will be able to charge in 3 hours. Assuming you only stop to charge and you get the full 80 miles per charge you will be resting for a full 9.375 days to get there and back.

Don't forget many places don't have any electrical outlets in the middle of the highway, you'll be easily stranded.
Mr. Jones
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Mr. Jones »

I'll beat him to it.

I'LL use a hybrid car. ;)
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

Mr. Jones wrote:I'll beat him to it.

I'LL use a hybrid car. ;)
Alright:

My dad's prius gets about 45mpg on the highway when it's warm, being most of the country is doing better than 60F right now we shall assume that figure. The official spec on the tank is 11.9 gallons. Thats 535.5 miles per tank. It'll take you 12 fill ups to make it from Jesery to SF and back at the cost of $333. Ahead by a considerable sum.