Is my computer running too hot?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Is my computer running too hot?

Post by hearld500 »

I just got a gateway g350 off ebay. (yeah, I know, but it was cheap)

It has a Pentium D running at 3.0ghz. At idle, speedfan says it's at 60-62C and the fans are quiet.

When I run a benchmark, the fans kickup to full and the temp will go between 69-72C.

Is this normal?
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

70C is in general too high for any computer. I would try to make sure the proc hsf is set properly and generally try to clear the airflow (as that is usually most people's main problems).
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

mine idles at 70C, and i've seen it as high as 79C.

I've got a laptop (gateway MX7525) w/ an amd 4000+, 100gb 5400rpm hdd, 1gb ram...

the hard drive itself sits around 130F.
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

70? C idle? I feel better about my temps now.
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

Even though it's a Pentium, it's still pretty hot I think. You might want to get a new cooler, especially if the default one makes a lot of noise, like my Prescott one. Got an Arctic Cooling one for 10 bucks and it's nice and quiet, and about 5 - 10C less warm.

Anyway, 72C Max isn't alarming, just a tad on the warm side :)
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

MKE wrote:mine idles at 70C, and i've seen it as high as 79C.

I've got a laptop (gateway MX7525) w/ an amd 4000+, 100gb 5400rpm hdd, 1gb ram...

the hard drive itself sits around 130F.
Laptops are designed to withstand much higher temperatures.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

ok, so laptops were designed to handle high temps, but how about this high? (see attached pic)

this screenshot was taken from my laptop (again, mx7525) about 10 minutes ago. My laptop started to lock up, and after 3 restarts i put it on my lap, and burned the shit out of my leg. so i loaded up speedfan, and the temp was this at the time of the screenshot, but went up to 239F after about 3 minutes of watching it hoping it was an error and would go down, about 60F (didnt though).

so i turned it off for about a half hour, and not it's running at normal around 170-180F.

lol, i need a "laptop". especially since all i was doing on it was internet browsing!

hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

Thats hot as hell. Definitely not supposed to be that bad.

What do you have this thing sitting on? Have you looked to see if the fans are running?
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

yep, the fans are running, and it's on a wooden desk, with nothing blocking the airflow around it except the power cord...

i've got the service plan on it, and it's been running way hotter then it should, plus i should mention the fans do make a really awful squeaking noise for about the first 10 min. from a "cold" (literally) boot. so i know there not working right. i just cant go without a computer for a month.

it's been running stable around 180 again, but yeah- i just installed mcafee antivirus and i thought that was what was causing the BSOD's and random freezing....(couldnt do more then 5 min. of something after rebooting before it froze again)