Finalized DC Dev setup?

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
q_006
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Finalized DC Dev setup?

Post by q_006 »

I've read the stickies and read some of the stuff in Hardware section. But everything seems to be WIP. So is there a finalized setup for DC Dev as well as what you need to get so everything is setup (software and hardware).
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

There's no "finalized" anything. We're using free tools, and I think most of us set everything up for ourselves (or using a build script, but everything is complied on each person's individual system). If you're a Windows user, you can use fackue's DCDev ISO. He put that together after I had switched to Linux for all of my DC-related development projects so I haven't used it myself but others have had success with it. It should be an "everything you're really going to need" type of thing. There's also DCFreeDev, but I don't know if they've updated that to work with a recent version KOS snapshot. The last one I saw came with KOS 1.2.0.
q_006
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by q_006 »

I guess I didn't word that properly.

I know all of this is homebrew and that it's always a WIP, sorta like Firefox. But I mean there isn't a place where I saw that says something like: See what I mean? An all-in-one stop that anyone can point too and can be updated when something new has tested and ready for release. Unfortunately, there's many of us who are not well versed in setting up build scripts, toolchains and the such, myself included.

Also what do you have to do to get into that DCDeveloper link? :)
Last edited by q_006 on Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

q_006 wrote:An all-in-one stop that anyone can point too and can be updated when something new has tested and ready for release.
Do you use Windows? If so, OneThirty8 already answered this:
OneThirty8 wrote:If you're a Windows user, you can use fackue's DCDev ISO.
You can find the DC Dev ISO is in this topic:
http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=74329
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
q_006
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by q_006 »

In that same thread, it says that you have to (or it's highly suggested) that you download ISO r1 install Cygwin from that and then download ISO r2 then install the rest of the files. It has no mention whether that has been resolved. Also the very first page of that thread, says that the DC-Load/Tool GUI was not able to be on the ISO r2 because of bugginess. Again, I didn't see any indication that it was added on later.
Dreamcast alive
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Dreamcast alive »

On my PC with win98 works the ISO R2 fine. The only thing is that I cannot see the path in bash. I had never installed ISO R1. If you install it check the right cygwin components during the installation and before running the cygwin.bat you must check the profile file in /cygwin/etc. It should look like this:

Code: Select all

PATH=/bin:$PATH

PATH=/usr/local/dc/arm-elf/bin:$PATH
PATH=/usr/local/dc/sh-elf/bin:$PATH

cd /usr/local/dc/kos/kos
source environ.sh
Then go on with the installation, just type "make all" in cygwin/usr/local/dc/kos/kos in Bash.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Dreamcast alive wrote:The only thing is that I cannot see the path in bash.
Which is a problem. There are other things missing in it besides the path.
q_006 wrote:In that same thread, it says that you have to (or it's highly suggested) that you download ISO r1 install Cygwin from that and then download ISO r2 then install the rest of the files.
Yes, I did that first, but then I had a problem with the SDL sound not working on my Quake engine. I've tried a few times to get the SDL sound to work, but in the end I gave up on the DC Dev ISO R2 and reinstalled the R1. The only reason I had updated to the R2 is because of the Jump Pack driver, so after reinstalling the R1 I copied the Jump Pack driver from the R2 to it.

I haven't had any problems with the R1, so I recommend it if you don't need the changes/additions from the R2.

There's a link to the R1 in this post:
http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewto ... 544#913544
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Dreamcast alive
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Dreamcast alive »

What is a jump pack driver? And did Iso R2 not have a newer version of KOS?