Finally possible to read original GD roms via a normal drive

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
-Johnick-
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Finally possible to read original GD roms via a normal drive

Post by -Johnick- »

I wont go into too much detail but long story short it involves using the following

1. a drive that supports reading CD's with a TOC of up to 122mins
2. 2 CD's, 1 audio 1 data, burned with a TOC of 122mins each (the CD's dont need to be able to store that much data, just written with a bogus TOC).
3. taking the lid off the drive and using an external application (which I wont name) to stop the CD spinning
4. CDRwin.

Your basicly swapping the fake CD for the original GD after the PC has read its TOC.

This is legit, I could post a link to the site but it would more then likely be deleted.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter
Been thanked: 0

Post by APE »

Thats essentially the same method used to create "complete" xbox backups for use with the hacked firmware. All you're doing is copying the data raw and forcing it to read from the very edge of the media where most drives don't begin to look.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Well, since there's a lot of "I won't name this" <wink> type stuff in your post, I'm locking this.

It could cause damage to someone's drive if they read your post and tried to fill in the blanks without having any idea what they are doing.