Whats this ???

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Masen
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Whats this ???

Post by Masen »

Hi,

last time i opened my Dreamcast, a small chip/IC/wathever falled out.

So i wanted to ask what this could be (i though maybe a mod chip or something).
Because i can?t make a photo yet , i describe it the best i can:

it?s really small (not this typical IC size)

it has 4 pins

this is what is written on it

Code: Select all

-      +
S1NB

60    84
anybody knows what this could be ??

or are there some pics of Mod-Chip around, so i can compare them ?
Magicbean
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Magicbean »

Does your Dreamcast work without it? If it does, it's probobly a mod chip. If it doesn't work, I have no idea where it's from.
I can't beleive I posted that...
Masen
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Masen »

yeah, my DC works good ...

i have looked for DC Mod-Chips on Google, and they are much bigger and different from the thing ive found ...

so i don?t know ... i try to make a pic or something ...
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

It seems to be a rectifier (power supply component). I don't know what its precise role is in the DC though.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
zeromod
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by zeromod »

is your dc modded at all, more specifically are there any leds/etc using the 3.3 5 or 12.v rail on the psu connector? that connector as far as i know is there for nothing more than the purpose of diagnostics, of course it came to be handy for modding but devs, probably used that to power on passthrough devices or some such, that whole left side is all a psu board, so its possible that the chip came from there and isnt neccessary for normal dc operation, if you can take a reading from your pins. other than this im not sure, if you could post a pic i could possibly identify the ic.

scratch that. rectifier it is.
Masen
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Masen »

no , the DC isnt modded at all, i have changed the PSU because it was broken, this was the time ive found this part ^^

i think that this part was once soldered , but it has to be made very bad because it seems that this part didnt broked away from something (the pins are fully ok) so it must have been some amateur modding project , and no original SEGA part ^^

from the pics of Mod Chips ive found on Google i think its not a Mod-Chip, maybe some Overclock thing ???

ive tried to make a photo , but my digicam is too bad so its impossible to see something on that ...
Morphv2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Morphv2 »

Might be a crystal oscillator, but that would be highly unlikely.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

no, the s1nb is a four pin rectifier bridge, basicly you could put AC on the inputs and get DC on the outputs, you would probably want to put a huge ass capacitor on the positive output though, or else you will end up with a rectified sine wave, which isnt exactly a stable voltage for anything

i find it odd though that the DC would work without it, i mean where and why would you put a non used rectifier chip into a machine? if the chip actually fell off, then whatever was connected to the outputs is either not receiving power anymore and not working, or it has a redundant source of power
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Masen
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Masen »

where exactly is this Part placed ??

the first PSU wasn?t working, maybe becouse of this missing part. But i changed the PSU .
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

it could very well be the psu

seeing how a rectifier bridge would be used either to convert AC to DC (used together with at least one significant cap) or to convert a DC line with unknown polarity to a known polarity line, i would not be able to think of a usefull place to use this thing outside of the PSU
Masen
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Masen »

for real ... it was missing on the broken PSU (good that i was keeping it ^^) what now ? soldering it on ? could i damage my DC ? at least i have no need to try it because all my DCs are working ... maybe i try it when one PSU will blow up again ^^

anyway thanks a lot for helping me to figure it out ^^
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

yeah you could solder it back on, but be absolutely sure you have it placed right, because if you reverse the plus and minus out terminals, you could end up frying an entire dreamcast with the push of a button
Masen
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Masen »

^^

luckely there are on the PSU text labels with plus and minus showing how the thing has to be on the board ... just for info the Text Label names this part as "RC1" ... so I will try it out once a PSU is broken ^^ dont want do damage a well working DC ^^