GOAT Store Publishing to announce 2006 / 2007 projects

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Sir Savant »

Well, at least now I know where the scholarship money will be going...

And game 10 reminds me that I must have the source of the four player BOR engine and make the necessary changes in order to finish the fighting game. I have had semi-comlpeted source sitting here for the longest time. lol.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Damn you people and your tempting, tempting projects! I am almost tempted to get a Dreamcast again...though I *know* it doesn't make much sense to start out again at this point in time. (I sold off everything I had--except Rez--when my DC died a year ago). So tempting, though! Hopefully some of these will see multi-platform release?
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Aren't they like 20 Dollars or sth ? :P

Anyway, great great GREAT news :D

curt_grymala wrote:
5) Age of the Beast Special Edition - there will be both a freeware release and a commercial special edition release through GOAT Store.
That's awesome news. I remember trying to convince the guys from Team Senile quite a while ago to get in touch with the GOAT crew to see about releasing Age of the Beast commercially for the DC. I also passed on some really cool ideas on how to enhance the commercial release, in order to set it apart from all other commercial releases. I wonder if any of that will make it into the GOAT release?

Hehe, same here :D I remember me and Asupikku had looooooooong discussions about certain features in a commercial version of Age of the Beast - like CDDA Soundtrack, exclusive levels, game modes and I really can't remember what else - on the old Senile forums. :D
Insane homebrew collector.
Christuserloeser

Sir Savant wrote:Well, at least now I know where the scholarship money will be going...

And game 10 reminds me that I must have the source of the four player BOR engine and make the necessary changes in order to finish the fighting game. I have had semi-comlpeted source sitting here for the longest time. lol.
This is pretty OT but I am sure you could already do a 1:1 fighter with OpenBoR! I been workin on Rage of the Streets and with all of these feature OpenBoR has I am sure that you can do that!

Here's an example of a 2D stage in bwwd's Battletoads/Comix Zone mod:

Here's the current OpenBoR manual with almost all feature listed and explained:
http://openbor.net/downloads/OBM.rar
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Christuserloeser wrote:
Sir Savant wrote:Well, at least now I know where the scholarship money will be going...

This is pretty OT but I am sure you could already do a 1:1 fighter with OpenBoR! I been workin on Rage of the Streets and with all of these feature OpenBoR has I am sure that you can do that!

Here's an example of a 2D stage in bwwd's Battletoads/Comix Zone mod:

Here's the current OpenBoR manual with almost all feature listed and explained:
http://openbor.net/downloads/OBM.rar
It would actually be much better to have 4 player from the get-go.

I actually have much more source than I thought. Most of it defines the states than can be produced by certain types of attacks. Improving the engine so that each character does not take as much memory is important, though, as four-player support is my goal, and the size of a character will explode when this is released (although I will try and release two versions, the former compatible with an expanded character variation of the BOR characters the latter version will be compatible with regular BOR characters).

The problem with OpenBOR for me is that although I can get the source nice and easily, it is a little out of date. I dunno. It does have lots of features though.

/ot

What is the projected price on these releases? Anything past $20 USD?
goatdan
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by goatdan »

Meta somehow missed the 12th project, Blocks2 (the 2 is supposed to be "squared"). If you've played BlockSmash, it's a VAST update to that game with just about everything new :)

We're hoping to keep all releases under the $20.00 mark, although part of that is out of our hands. At the moment however, I expect they should all fall under that mark, although *most* will be right at the $19.90 mark that Cool Herders and Feet of Fury started at. We'll be doing our best to keep these games at a good price.

We'll be updating GOAT Store Publishing soon too with *some* of these projects announced soon. It's darn tough to run a gaming convention and get everything out you want too!

Anyway, thanks for sticking with us, and you guys are going to be amazed by what you start seeing shortly. :D
kungpow12345
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by kungpow12345 »

Hey everyone! Actually Samurai Warrior is officially named as "Yumi: Samurai Warrior" and that is my game ^^. Basically I asked Roel from Senile Team permission to use BoR as a basis for an original game using a very enhanced engine of "BoRHED" first coded off of Openbor by Kirby2000 and carried over by Lord Ball. Fugue, SamuraiX and Lord Ball will be the primary "builders" of this new engine.

The game is based on a very ancient 12th century japanese samurai named Tomoe Gozen. Her life itself is in mystery but what I've "deciphered" so far is that she comes into life like a fast wind and leaves just as fast. That leaves me a lot of room to work with.

I "ceremonially" introduced myself at the show to "Mr. Dan" with these graphics on my custom t-shirt that I made.
Image Image

I'm not sure if my introduction at the show was a laugh or...odd or whatever but it was cool to actually introduce the mod myself :wink: Of course, Dan would probably have it that way since I kind of threw the idea at him fast but now that I have the official approval from GOAT, I'm rolling with it! :D

Basically Yumi will introduce herself early on as an assassin and in the first level I'm going to try to throw in a lot of new elements from the get go, especially the stealth system I talked about at the show. The game will then throw Yumi into the legendary Genpai war; that'll choose the first Shogun of Japan.

The art style I'm going to go for is going to be similar to Okami (if you're familiar with the Flash game on the clover studios website) and if you look at any ancient woodblock painting or wallscroll, that's what I'd like to go for as well. Slighty anime-ish.

Like I said over at BoR Rev, I'll post an offical thread about the game later hopefully with wip screenshots and things to show you guys just how original I want to make this game. I might refer to this game as a bor mod, but when I'm done, I hope that the notion of this game still being based on BoR will be a small memory.
If you've got an ass, I'll kick it!
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Darksaviour69 wrote:Feuer Frei
Bang! Bang! :)
Darksaviour69
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Darksaviour69 »

impetus wrote:
i was thinking the same thing lol
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

D'ur? :scratch:
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Darksaviour69 wrote:
impetus wrote:
i was thinking the same thing lol
:thumbsup:
DaMadFiddler wrote:D'ur? :scratch:
Feuer Frei is the title of a Rammstein song, with a shouted chorus of "Bang! Bang!"
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Ah--I don't think I've *ever* listened to Rammstein (except when my friend Carla had it on in the car, when I wasn't really paying attention to it), so I wouldn't have gotten that.

[off-topic: what happened to the Screamcast badges, man? dey's broke]
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Well, it may be a good idea for me to post some info as well.

As announced, I am working on a one-on-one fighting game. It still is in very early stages, so some details are still undefined, such as the amount of characters and the story. For now, what I can tell is that it will have a graphical style developed exclusively for it, multiple game modes, innovative gameplay features, and easy-to-learn controls.

More information and screenshots will be released before the end of the year. This game is scheduled to be released during 2007.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
goatdan
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by goatdan »

Here's the official line up, just "confirmed" on our web site (since I'm posting it though, I hope you can figure it to be correct):

Adventure Game 1 [working title]
Age of the Beast: Special Edition
Amnesia: Psychic Spelunker [working title]
Blocks2: Master of Blocks
DCASTLE
Donk
Feet of Fury 2
Fightoon [working title]
Feuer Frei
GOAT Games
R3K [working title]
Yumi: Samurai Warrior

http://www.diehardgamer.com is going to have a rather extensive interview that I conducted with them regarding them up relatively soon (tonight or tomorrow, I believe), so you might want to keep an eye out for that. Also, some comments in response to Sweater Fish...
Sweater Fish wrote:I think this is all good to hear. The people I know who aren't really into homebrew still don't seem to care, so I don't know what would attaract them at this point. oh well, I'm excited.
That's okay because these are independent releases, not homebrew ;) Quite seriously though, I know for a fact that some of these projects are coming through us because publishers are hoping to do a "dry run" to see how they work before committing resources to publishing them on "modern" consoles. There is at least a couple projects that already fall into this category, and some major publishers are interested in getting a chance to look at all of them... very, VERY cool.

When you see some of this stuff though, you'll see exactly what I mean. The level of professionalism surpassed the term homebrew long ago. That, and the fact that it isn't even possible to make them in someone's house, of course ;)
Donk, if it's the game I'm thinking of was a platformer involving a duck. It was on the Amiga, but I can't find anything about CD-i release. No nothing called Donk on the CD-i that I can see, so I assume it is the same Donk I'm thinking of and that was supposed to say Amiga or CD32 and not CD-i. What brought this project to the DC? It seems to come out of left field. Should certainly be cool, though.
Yes, it was a CD32 game, my mistake. What brought it to the Dreamcast? A want by the propertyholders to upgrade it and release it for a console that more people could experience it on. It's a VERY rare CD32 game, and this one will be totally updated.
R3K also sounds great. It's based more on Ram It! than Tempest from what I understand. A great game concept. Hopefully the Tempest allusion means that it will borrow something from the aesthetic stye of Tempest 2000, which would be very nice.
Yes. The game right now is more resembling Tempest 2000 in graphics than the 2600 ;) If anyone has played the non-emulated version of this game, (the emulated version is a little screwed up), the game is an absolute blast. This was actually the game that led to the GOAT Store being formed, and one that I am extremely excited about, as even though we're not coding it ourselves, it is turning out to look FAR better than if we would have, and some new really exciting ideas are taking place with it too.
Thanks to Dan and GOAT Publishing for their continued support and to the coders for continuing to come up with new projects. I can't wait to see how everything turns out and what further projects the future will bring our beloved Dreamcasts.
Amazingly, if the announcement was to be redone and made today, I might even be able to reveal three or four additional games. These are going to stay under wraps for now, but the current lifespan of the Dreamcast is definitely looking really positive.

And about the games not getting released in the next 18 months, I would be floored if at least 8 of these projects were not finalized and released by then. I figure that we'll lose one or two due to "life" and one or two will get sidelined, but the vast majority of these are far enough along that I fully expect them to come rolling off the presses and into your hands soon :D
Christuserloeser

DaMadFiddler wrote:Ah--I don't think I've *ever* listened to Rammstein
It's not worth listening to anyway. Although, I think they're one of the very few "artists" that actually use the German language in an abstract way. At the moment they're one of two successful groups that do that. So for that I respect them a lot, but for some of their political expressions (and their music) they deserve to be ignored.
Trust me, it is NOT innovative and alternative to be against the USA - at the very least if you're in Germany. Every fukkin jerk here is against the USA, including the government(s). So how is that "cool" or good or "underground" ? It's worth a shit.
Now, if they would be critic against actions of the German government or German "tradition" or German attitude, now that actually would be innovative.

All great American artist are critics of American society and American politics - so why can't that also be the case with German artists ?
Why do you have to support your government/country if you want to be a successful German artist ?

I mean there are a few pretty good bands in the German punk/independent scene, but no one cares.

goatdan wrote:Here's the official line up, just "confirmed" on our web site (since I'm posting it though, I hope you can figure it to be correct):

Adventure Game 1 [working title]
Age of the Beast: Special Edition
Amnesia: Psychic Spelunker [working title]
Blocks2: Master of Blocks
DCASTLE
Donk
Feet of Fury 2
Fightoon [working title]
Feuer Frei
GOAT Games
R3K [working title]
Yumi: Samurai Warrior

[...] Amazingly, if the announcement was to be redone and made today, I might even be able to reveal three or four additional games. These are going to stay under wraps for now, but the current lifespan of the Dreamcast is definitely looking really positive.
Definitly. There are so many homebrew projects still not revealed, still not released. Emulators, Games, mods for BoR, Quake, HoR, AotB, etc., updates of existing projects, and also more than a dozen DCEvolution projects that already reached beta status. :D

I wonder if Alice Dreams or DreamChess are going to see commercial releases some day ? ;)

...or -since it's beeing redone from scratch- Giana's Return ? or Zen ?

goatdan wrote:And about the games not getting released in the next 18 months, I would be floored if at least 8 of these projects were not finalized and released by then. I figure that we'll lose one or two due to "life" and one or two will get sidelined, but the vast majority of these are far enough along that I fully expect them to come rolling off the presses and into your hands soon :D

I'm sure it's like you said. - It's a fact that some of your announced releases are in the works for quite a while (e.g. Age of the Beast or DCastle).

We really can expect a steady stream of quality releases there. :D
DHG Hunter
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by DHG Hunter »

goatdan -- "www.diehardgamer.com is going to have a rather extensive interview that I conducted with them regarding them up relatively soon (tonight or tomorrow, I believe), so you might want to keep an eye out for that."
The interview with Dan Loosen is now up. Sorry about the delay. ;)

Later.
SeGaFrEaK NL
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SeGaFrEaK NL »

Nice, a good read )()(
Christuserloeser

Great to have so much info about the games. Maybe someone should gather it at one place.... ?

/Chris looks at Dan ;)
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

That was a really good read.

Chris - what kind of info are you looking to gather? There's certainly no reason we couldn't discuss putting the info at DCEvo with Dan.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
Christuserloeser

Yup, that would be nice. :)

However I meant to put up dedicated websites at http://www.goatstore.com/publishing/ that gather all the info available here and mentioned in the interview and offered at the developers own websites. ;)

If one page after another would be put up, there would be something worth to discuss all the time :)

Edit: Maybe we even could use the GoatStore/Publishing RSS feed for DCEvo ?