Game dev costs will soar - how will this affect the DC?

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Segafreak2
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Game dev costs will soar - how will this affect the DC?

Post by Segafreak2 »

http://www.segafiles.roxr.com/portal/fo ... 11.22.0#30

The costs of game development are set to soar, to almost $20m per game on the next gen consoles. As the DC is incredibly cheap (comparatively) to develop for, I wonder how this will affect it and other consoles which cost less to create games for.

:?
evanft
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by evanft »

It won't really affect the DC at all. No one is making games on a large scale anymore, just the occasional arcade port. I mean, sure, developers could make a game for the DC because it costs so little compare to the 360 or PS3, but it might only sell 1% of the copies.
Segafreak2
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Segafreak2 »

Xbox 360
Not in Japan!
I hope that this will affect Senko No Rodne. Its a great game and will do far better on the DC than it will on the Xbox.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

Bottom line. DC is no longer in the mainstream. It's over. It's for the most part forgotten. Commercially it is a dead horse. Accept it.
Segafreak2
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Segafreak2 »

For christ's sake.
I accept it. I am just saying that this could mean good things for DC fans if G.Rev find that developing SNR for the Xbox 360 uneconomical, they might try it on the DC. That's all I'm saying. Outside Japan the DC is about as popular as a Xbox 360 in Japan, but in Japan it still has a small folowing.
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

Segafreak2 wrote:For christ's sake.
I accept it. I am just saying that this could mean good things for DC fans if G.Rev find that developing SNR for the Xbox 360 uneconomical, they might try it on the DC. That's all I'm saying. Outside Japan the DC is about as popular as a Xbox 360 in Japan, but in Japan it still has a small folowing.
They aren't going to start making games for the DC just because its expensive to make games for Next Gen Consoles. Even though it is cheap they won't make any money on games a few people will buy. They will loose $$$. So they might aswell shell out the cash for the 360 game and make some money.
OOH! YA! Duffman Says a lot of things.
Segafreak2
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Segafreak2 »

What? When 500 were sold in Japan a few weeks ago; in a week. Nearly 10,000 DS' were sold in that same week.
When in some places only 50 were sold at launch, and only 5,000 (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) were sold in Japan. When the new DC games sell out very quickly?
I don't think so, I think we should mail G.REV and use this as another reason to petition them to release SNR on the Dreamcast.
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

Your thoughts are not so far from the truth... check out this interesting presentation that i found here.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

I agree that if faced with the decision of choosing solely between the dreamcast and xbox360, japanese gaming companies developing games specifically for publishing in japan would choose the dreamcast. I don't however see this as an issue since the game could easily be put onto the PS2, GC, DS, gba, psp, etc.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

The super-high development costs won't affect developers like G.Rev and Milestone anyway. The estimates you quote are based on games with extensive polygon modeling, physics engines and *HUGE* 3D worlds with modular teams each with dozens of people working on every facet of the game over a period of 8 months. Those kinds of games will be the norm in the upcoming generation, so the cost of making them could justifiably be considered an average development cost on a next generation system, but for developers who are still making 2D shooters or fighters or especially just porting a game like that, the dev costs won't be that much higher than it has been. Of course, any dev house that wants to put out a game for a next generation system has to buy the development kit and that can be really expensive, probably more than some of the real small houses putting out shooters on the NAOMI can afford. The first parties sometimes subsidize the cost of the development kit, but they have to consider the games the company will produce enough of an asset for their system.

...word is bondage...