So, why can't we have a homebrew lan adapter?

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Post by Quzar »

ok, you start and we'll all catch up later.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Nemesis »

soccerboi wrote:why does someone always have to say something like that?

What I got from the thread is that you couldn't make a BBA because you needed the chip and firmware. So why couldn't someone make one that uses tunneling?

I wasn't asking any of you guys to do anything, just giving an idea, so stop being an ass.
1. stop flaming
2. it's still more trouble than it's worth, imo
Feel it, Don't think
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Basically the idea is, yes it's fine, we've all mulled over that and a hundred other solutions from time to time, but the basic thing is that nobody that can do it wants to. If you want to, then by all means lead the way. I'm sure other will follow. If not though, then ... well... that's all there is to it.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
semicolo
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by semicolo »

If you make a non bba compatible network interface, commercial games won't be able to use it.
semicolo
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by semicolo »

I don't see how it could work without patching the games.
isn't Tunnelling a software thing ? how would you do tunnelling on hardware ???
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

>_<

Give up, its not going to happen
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

soccerboi wrote:Why not just make a bba that has nothing to do with the old ones as cheap as possible? Couldn't we just then make tunneling software, and play online that way? Then instead of a few games being online, we could have over 100.
Most Dreamcast games use Sega SNAP protocols/info to connect. Reverse engineering this = nigh impossible. And mega illegal.

Oh, and tunnelling usually requires tricking a LAN connection into playing against other people not on the LAN. That's what the Xbox/Gamecube tunnelling services do.
Very sexy hero, omg
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Things have been pretty much covered I think, but I'll mention that although cloning the G2-PCI bridge chip in a PLD (working from e.g. the NetBSD driver) should be both possible and legal, the hardware might end up being somewhat expensive. IIRC, there's a substantial chunk of RAM on the bridge chip; I don't recall the size but I think it was more than is in any low-end FPGA, meaning that an external RAM chip would be required to duplicate it. This doesn't put it into "insanely expensive" territory, but given the cost of the RAM and the extra I/O pins and logic on the PLD needed to connect it, I doubt it's dirt-cheap either.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer