Time to adress the DS issue.

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by atf487 »

XDelusion wrote:I've REALLY got my eye on this one...

...though how much Memory does that Super Card have built in?
256 megabit. But thats only for stuff it loads from the cf/sd card.

hasney: the sd cards seem to be getting the shaft :(
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Aghhh, ok my mind is totally made up then!

This is what I'll get next in that case!

http://www.g6flash.com/news.htm
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

XDelusion wrote:Aghhh, ok my mind is totally made up then!

This is what I'll get next in that case!

http://www.g6flash.com/news.htm
Well thats a totally different animal.

The reason for a supercard/m3 perfect* is to use cheap, popular flash media instead of a more expensive flash cart. It allows for a LOT more space that is easily upgradable.

* = if you're going to spend a lot of money, may as well get the m3 perfect + a 512/1 gig sd/cf card. The G6 doesnt really add much feature wise.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

The feature it adds that I like is the fact that it does not stick out of your unit. Seeing as I have a DS, it kind of makes it hard to carry it around in my pocket with the Movie Player sticking out...

...on a GBA what would work fine as a MP3 player, but on the DS it is awkward.

I dunno, maybe I'll pick up a GBA too and use my M2 as a MP3 player, and the M3 for my DS and games, etc.

Will give it a couple more days thought.

So far though it seems that the G6 v3 has the best compatability with DS titles...

...not that that matters. :)
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

XDelusion wrote:The feature it adds that I like is the fact that it does not stick out of your unit. Seeing as I have a DS, it kind of makes it hard to carry it around in my pocket with the Movie Player sticking out...

...on a GBA what would work fine as a MP3 player, but on the DS it is awkward.

I dunno, maybe I'll pick up a GBA too and use my M2 as a MP3 player, and the M3 for my DS and games, etc.

Will give it a couple more days thought.

So far though it seems that the G6 v3 has the best compatability with DS titles...

...not that that matters. :)
Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

left = m3, right = supercard

XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Ok so the Super Card is bug free now, does it handle Fat32 support, and also does it support CF cards or just the SD cards?

And I can run ANY homebrew aside of Linux too?

---edit----

And does it play ALL titles with NO and I mean NO slow down?

Also does it support CF flash cards up to version 3 or just 1 and 2 (the slower ones)?
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

XDelusion wrote:Ok so the Super Card is bug free now, does it handle Fat32 support, and also does it support CF cards or just the SD cards?

And I can run ANY homebrew aside of Linux too?

---edit----

And does it play ALL titles with NO and I mean NO slow down?

Also does it support CF flash cards up to version 3 or just 1 and 2 (the slower ones)?
Nah, its fat16 only.

and for DS, it doesn't have slowdown. For GBA though, its a different question. Some games play fine, others are unplayable. Theres a tool on the scdev.org forums that will fix a lot of the problems though, increasing the speed on some.

And I think for CF it only supports 1/2.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

I signed up on the SC forums and they told me all about the GBA issues, which for me is a big fat NO!

The G6 they say is misleading, because if you buy a 1Gb cart, you are actually only getting 256k, etc. It's highly compatable, but over priced and not much room.

The M3 (GBAMP v3) on the other hand only has one fault, and that is that it sticks out a bit much, other than that, it is HIGHLY compatable with homebrew, DS, GBA, etc. The definate choice it seems for those who want it all like myself.

Thankx for all your help, but the M3 it is after all...

...glad I checked those forums, I was VERY close to buying a G6.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

:)

Ya, if you are not going to play GBA at all, I'd definatly say it is the MUST HAVE bang for the buck!
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

I was low on cash this week so still no M3, but...

...I'm forcing the screws on my DS with a VERY small flat head screw driver...

...it's almost open, then onto FlashMe, after that, I'll let you know how things go with that and my M2.
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

I'm waiting for my supercard to come/christmas to get my DS. It's so hard.
Tetris: 556-381-350-981
MKDS: 163-282-974-709
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

XDelusion wrote:...I'm forcing the screws on my DS with a VERY small flat head screw driver...
Don't you only have to remove the battery back?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Quick questions. After reading this topic, I decided I want one of those M3's. Where would I be able to get an M3, and is there a difference in performance between the SD and the CF versions?
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

melancholy wrote:Quick questions. After reading this topic, I decided I want one of those M3's. Where would I be able to get an M3, and is there a difference in performance between the SD and the CF versions?
There are issues with the SD version. It was only just released after months of delays, and it seems that there are few brands of SD card that work with it. You can find more information in this thread at M3 Forum.

The CF version, however, is fantastic. There are currently 8 DS games with issues out of a total of 223, and updates are released every few weeks to improve compatibility. Here's another compatibility list for DS games. There aren't really any extensive GBA game compatibility lists, but I've yet to find a single one that doesn't run perfectly.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I'm glad to hear the CF version is the better one, since I have a 512mb CF card, but only have a 128mb SD card.

Anyway, so where can I get it?
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Yep M3 seems to be the way to go.

I flashed my DS with little hassel. The only part that gave me crap was that some of the software in the tutorial was out of dated and had a bug which kept me from getting anything flashed.

Upon finding the updated software things went quickly and I was done before I realized it.

So far since there isn't a whole lot of software for the DS, there isn't much reason for me to move beyond the GBAMP2 as of yet. Of course I'm sure I won't be able to run the new Sonic off my Flash cart any time soon...

...I've really no need. ScummVM is freaking awsome enough, having touch screen and zoom screen to name a couple of the new features that have me hooked!

Oh and no you don't have to open anything but the battery pack, I didn't realize this till I had it opened. Oh well, now I know what's inside. :)
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

melancholy wrote:I'm glad to hear the CF version is the better one, since I have a 512mb CF card, but only have a 128mb SD card.

KickTrading.ca is mentioned on the official M3 Adapter homepage as being a North American distributor. They're selling it for $99.95 with a PassKey.

You haven't got a new DS, have you? The very latest ones require a newer PassKey device and are little more complication to work.

If you can find someone else willing to lend you a PassKey/PassMe, you can flash the firmware of your DS with FlashMe v5 once and you'll only ever need the M3 part again.
Last edited by az_bont on Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

az_bont wrote:
melancholy wrote:I'm glad to hear the CF version is the better one, since I have a 512mb CF card, but only have a 128mb SD card.

KickTrading.ca is mentioned on the [url=http://www.m3adapter.com[/url]official M3 Adapter homepage[/url] as being a North American distributor. They're selling it for $99.95 with a PassKey.

You haven't got a new DS, have you? The very latest ones require a newer PassKey device and are little more complication to work.

If you can find someone else willing to lend you a PassKey/PassMe, you can flash the firmware of your DS with FlashMe v5 once and you'll only ever need the M3 part again.
Actually, although my DS was a launch one, I have no intentions of using it on my DS. I'm in it for the GBA support, and as long as it works on my Micro, I'm golden.
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

The only problem is that the M3 is a tank; it'll stick out a lot from the sleek micro. See a picture in page 2 to show what I mean.
Tetris: 556-381-350-981
MKDS: 163-282-974-709
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

melancholy wrote:Actually, although my DS was a launch one, I have no intentions of using it on my DS. I'm in it for the GBA support, and as long as it works on my Micro, I'm golden.
As atf487 said, the size difference is massive on the GBA Micro. If you want to keep the small form factor, then you'd be better off getting one of the original GBA flash carts. Just be careful of the one you buy - a lot of them require you to use the link port to write games, which would require an additional adaptor.

The G6 Flash is made by the same people who make the M3, support direct USB writing (like a flash drive), comes with it's own writer, and is also fully compatible with DS (in case you chagne your mind in the future). They're available in sizes up to 4Gb (512MB), which I don't think you can say for any other flash cart.

You might as well consider DS use - the only extra thing you have to buy is the PassKey/PassMe, which can be had for less than $20US. If you manage to borrow one for a day, it won't cost you a penny 8-).